Author Topic: Tina Fontaine - age 15 - murdered - August 2014  (Read 7342 times)

SAP

Tina Fontaine - age 15 - murdered - August 2014
« on: December 30, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tina-fontaine-15-found-in-bag-in-red-river-1.2739141

Winnipeg police have released the identity of a girl found dead in the Red River Sunday afternoon.

Tina Fontaine memorial
Memorial to Tina Fontaine, slain 15-year-old aboriginal girl whose body was found in the Red River in Winnipeg.

It takes a village: Reaching out to First Nations homeless
Tina Fontaine, 15, was reported missing on Aug. 9. Her body was found in the Red River near the Alexander Docks at about 1:30 p.m., more than a week after she was reported missing.

Police are treating Fontaine’s death as a homicide.

“It’s obvious this child didn’t put herself in the river in that condition,” said homicide investigator Sgt. John O’Donovan. “She’s definitely been exploited and taken advantage of.”

Fontaine was last seen in downtown Winnipeg on Aug. 8 wearing a white skirt, blue jacket and pink-and-white runners. She stood five-feet-three-inches tall and weighed about 100 pounds.

O'Donovan said the teen was known to spend time near Portage Place.

“She frequented mainly the central area. [She] frequented places like Portage Place and the streets adjacent to that, parallel to that, around Portage Avenue,” he said. “She frequented the central area in general.”

Fontaine, of Sagkeeng First Nation, had only been in Winnipeg for a month before her disappearance.

Body pulled from Alexander Docks
Winnipeg police pull up a tarp after recovering a body from the Red River near the Alexander Docks on Sunday. (CBC)

“She's a petite little thing — just turned 15, barely in the city for a little over a month,” O’Donovan said. “And she’s definitely been exploited and taken advantage of and murdered.”

Fontaine was in the care of a Child and Family Services agency when she went missing, according to police. She had run away from her foster home before, including once in July of this year.

“We know that she was in care and that she was rebelling in that care she was in. She was running away and had a history of that, but obviously she was in danger doing that,” O’Donovan said. “At 15 I’m sure she didn’t realize the danger she was putting herself in.”

Police said she was found wrapped in a bag, in "a condition she couldn’t have put herself in,” O’Donovan said.

“She’s a child. This is a child that has been murdered … Society should be horrified,” he said. “That’s why we’re asking for people to come forward. And that's why we're asking for people to help us and to come forward with anything they know about this child.”

O’Donovan said police can confirm she was alive on the morning of Aug. 9, but “anything further than that we would love to hear from people on.”

'She’s a child. This is a child that has been murdered … Society should be horrified'
- Winnipeg police Sgt. John O'Donovan
Anyone with information can contact police at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477.

“It's an upsetting case here because we have a child here who is dead, plus we don't know when she died,” O’Donovan said. “We want to get it to the general public for their help.”

Police said Fontaine's body was discovered while police were looking for another — a man who had been seen struggling in the water near the Forks on Friday.

“The circumstances surrounding it are rather unique in that our dive unit was out there looking, you know, for somebody else,” said Const. Eric Hofley. “Unfortunately, the second body was located and recovered.”

Faron Hall's body also recovered

The body of Faron Hall was also retrieved from the river Sunday evening, according to family members.

Police confirmed Monday afternoon a man’s body had been recovered from the Red River near Kildonan Park. They also confirmed it was the same person who had been seen struggling in the river near The Forks on Friday.

On Monday evening, family members identified the man as Faron Hall.

Search for man feared drowned continues
Off-duty officer tries to save man in Red River, but unsuccessful
Rescue divers spent the weekend searching the river for the man after the distress call and attempted rescue on Friday.

Police said they are not treating the death as suspicious, and they are not releasing details about how he ended up in the water. 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Tina Fontaine - age 15 - murdered - August 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
As we know, Tina's body was found in a bag in the Red River.

Sadly, I found this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tina-fontaine-spent-weekend-at-home-now-at-centre-of-sex-trafficking-charges-1.3110143

Updated
Tina Fontaine spent weekend at home now at centre of sex trafficking charges

Homicide victim Tina Fontaine’s cousin charged in sex trafficking case in Winnipeg

CBC News Posted: Jun 11, 2015 3:59 PM CT| Last Updated: Jun 11, 2015 5:41 PM CT

Tina Fontaine, a 15-year-old girl who was killed in Winnipeg last summer, spent one of her last weekends alive at a home now at the centre of a sex trafficking case.

Fontaine's body was pulled from the Red River in August 2014. Winnipeg police are treating the girl's death as a homicide.

■Winnipeg girl, 17, trafficked for sex with up to 50 men, Crown alleges
■Tina Fontaine, 15, found in bag in Red River
■Tina Fontaine last seen leaving with man in West End, says friend

There have been no arrests or charges in the teen's death, but it sparked national outrage, renewed calls for a national inquiry into murdered and missing women and public outcry over Manitoba's Child and Family Services system. Fontaine was supposed to be in the care of CFS when she was killed.

Furby Street apartment building
The Crown alleges a 17-year-old girl was brought to this Furby Street apartment building in Winnipeg on May 20 and was subsequently trafficked for sex with up to 50 men over the course of weeks. Tina Fontaine spent her last weekend alive in the apartment. (CBC)

Now, Tina's cousin, Jeanenne Fontaine, has been charged in a human trafficking case that has ties to an apartment Tina stayed at weeks before she was killed.

The details of the case were revealed in a Winnipeg courtroom on Wednesday.

The Crown alleges a 17-year-old girl was taken to a Furby Street apartment and forced into the sex trade.

Prosecutors said the girl was held against her will in two apartments in the building and forced to have sex with up to 50 men over the course of two weeks, while some of the accused hid in the bathroom of the apartment.

Three people are now facing charges of trafficking a person under the age of 18 — Jesse Clifford Thomas, Eric Jade Wirffel and Jeanenne Fontaine.

Body pulled from Alexander Docks
Winnipeg police pull up a tarp after recovering 15-year-old Tina Fontaine's body from the Red River near the Alexander Docks in August 2014. (CBC)

It's alleged the trafficking took place in Jeanenne Fontaine's apartment in the Furby building as well as her mom's suite, in the same building.

At the time of Tina's death, Jeanenne Fontaine's mother (Tina's aunt) told CBC News that Tina had stayed at her suite for a weekend in the weeks leading up to her disappearance and killing.

Winnipeg police said before Tina's death in August 2014 that she had run away from her foster home, and officers believed she was being sexually exploited.

"She's definitely been exploited and taken advantage of and murdered and put in the river," Winnipeg police Sgt. John O'Donovan said at the time.

In court on Thursday, Jeanenne Fontaine denied having any involvement in the sex trafficking case. A fourth accused, Clinton Wirffel, has not yet been arrested.

Jeanenne Fontaine is out on bail.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:05:49 PM by jellybean »

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
It's now been one year since the death of Tina Fontaine and police still haven't caught her killer(s).

Upon the one year anniversary, more news is coming to light about how she met her tragic ending.

Stories have been posted on APTN as well as a Winnipeg blog website called Black Rod:

..According to Tina's brother, she was pregnant at the time of her homicide and he's also heard unconfirmed reports of how she died: tortured, beaten, raped, stabbed and drowned.

This is interesting to me because the cause of death has never been reported in the media and police are very tight lipped on details surrounding her death. Could be just rumours as well.

She was murdered and that's all we know.

So now, we're hearing that after she was tortured, raped, beaten and stabbed, she was placed in a body bag and consequently drowned.

Tragic.

**link to blog removed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:14:31 AM by debbiec »

SAP

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
Perhaps her brother is right and heard through the grapevine what has happened to young Tina? Or could be guessing since the police said the following: (taken from the first article)

“It’s obvious this child didn’t put herself in the river in that condition,” said homicide investigator Sgt. John O’Donovan. “She’s definitely been exploited and taken advantage of.

That seems to say without really spelling it all out what her condition was.

Someone needs to talk ... the people Tina had visited surely know more.

It is totally very tragic that a child was treated like garbage and those persons are still walking around in public. It is just disgusting and sickening and almost makes one hope for v j if police can't find enough evidence.

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
Yeah it's hard to say. By the sounds of it there's a lot of guilty people involved in this case: her mother who apparently introduced her to crystal meth and also beat her on at least one occasion; the police for negligence and not doing their job (knowing she was reported as Missing and having come across her but letting her go); the CFS/CAS system; her own family (her cousin has been accused/charged with running a prostitution ring out of the same motel that CAS/CFS had her staying in etc.

Not to mention who ever is responsible for her death. By the sounds of it, this wasn't the first time they killed someone.

SAP

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
Tina didn't stand a chance in her young life. If a child cannot look up to and trust her/his parents and family is a sad day in so many lives. The abuse cycle needs to be broken. How is it that one so young gets placed in a motel by child care advocates? Do they not have emergency (foster) homes for such needs? In Alberta we do have those, whereby an intake foster home will take children any time of night or day until a solution is arranged.

You are correct, jtmtpleasant, everyone failed this child and yes, Tina isn't the first nor will she be the last. That is what needs to be the focus, imo, is breaking the cycle. I know it's also very hard on kids b/c they are thrown into a strange household where they know no one, but eventually they will come round to realizing they can feel safe and go forward from there.

It tears at my inner self. I feel the pain. Yet what can I do?!

SAP

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
There's a lot of info in this following link on Rhinelle Harper which has led police to take a closer look at Tina's case as well. Rhinelle was beaten to an almost death by at least one of her own people (first nations); the second was not shown as he was underage.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/two-charged-after-winnipeg-girl-left-for-dead-in-vicious-attack-police-to-take-closer-look-at-suspects-in-death-of-tina-fontaine

SAP

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
There were just way too many stressors in Tina's young life at such a young age and then be given over to strangers to boot. Her father was diagnosed with cancer and could not care for Tina and then he was murdered violently, which affected her greatly. The grandmother sounded like a wonderful lady but family ended up giving Tina to foster care which took her into a large city she was not prepared for.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/tina-fontaine-murdered-aboriginal-teen-struggled-with-father-s-violent-death-1.1967508

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:07:01 AM »
Yes very tragic. I have Tina's father, Eugene Fontaine in my database on missing and murdered Indigenous men. Not surprisingly, I see many correlations. I've researched missing and murdered Indigenous women for 5 years now so am familiar with many names and stories of the victims. Then to start my own database on men, there's a lot of inter-connectedness such as the murder of both Fontaine's. Many of the MMIW, have male relatives who have also been murdered or gone missing. It's very eerie, almost strange at how many stories are related to one another.

I'm familiar with the case of Rinelle Harper as well. Very lucky girl to be alive. It saddened me when I found out at least one of her perps was a native male. And it wouldn't surprise me if Tina's murderer(s) is or are native as well since there are so many native gangs and people living in the city.

I know at least one serial killer from Winnipeg who claimed to be native (Shawn Cameron Lamb) who targeted at least 3 native girls (Tanya Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair and Lorna Blacksmith).

So it doesn't surprise me at all that there are probably several serial killers in the works all across Canada who specifically target native girls because it's so easy to get away. But that's another story in itself.

SAP

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 10:45:26 AM »
Shawn Cameron Lamb was finally jailed for 20 yrs at the end of 2013 and he better do all those years and get DO status when it's finished. He is probably good for many more deaths that not enough evidence was found for.

It seems to me that many of those who grew up with violence in their families tend to have a hatered for others no matter their ethnicity. So much is ingrained. How does one undo that?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »
From:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tina-fontaine-spent-weekend-at-suite-now-at-centre-of-sex-trafficking-charges-1.3110143

"It's alleged the trafficking took place in Jeanenne Fontaine's apartment in the Furby building as well as her mom's suite, in the same building.

At the time of Tina's death, Jeanenne Fontaine's mother (Tina's aunt) told CBC News that Tina had stayed at her suite for a weekend in the weeks leading up to her disappearance and killing.

Winnipeg police said before Tina's death in August 2014 that she had run away from her foster home, and officers believed she was being sexually exploited.

"She's definitely been exploited and taken advantage of and murdered and put in the river," Winnipeg police Sgt. John O'Donovan said at the time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Family!

jb

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »
Here is an article that includes the murder of Tina's father, Eugene.  He was brutally murdered by his friends over money. This article also includes Tina.  This is an older article, as Tina's killer has now been located and arrested.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/tina-fontaine-drifted-away-after-her-father-s-death-court-hears-1.2055688

Tina Fontaine 'drifted away' after her father's death, court hears

Published Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:06PM EDT

WINNIPEG -- Tina Fontaine -- the Manitoba teenager whose death has prompted renewed calls for a national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women -- went into a downward spiral after her father was beaten to death, a Winnipeg courtroom was told Wednesday.
and "was not able to cope at all," according to victim impact statements filed by relatives in the trial of two men who have pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the October 2011 death of Eugene Fontaine.

Outside court, members of the Fontaine family wept as they described Tina as a young girl who went astray before disappearing into the streets of Winnipeg.

"She was very hurt, very lost. That's when she drifted away," said Brenda Fontaine, one of Tina's aunts.

"We saw the change in Tina. She tried to move on and tried to get the relationship with her mother here in Winnipeg ... and she only lasted two months in Winnipeg."
Tina, who was raised by a great-aunt for much of her life, was in family services care by last spring. She disappeared one night in August. Her body was pulled from the Red River a week later wrapped in plastic. Police have not made any arrests.

Wednesday's court hearing heard evidence of troubled lives on the Sagkeeng reserve -- not only of the Fontaine family, but also of the two men who have admitted to the vicious, hours-long beating that left Eugene Fontaine dead.

Tina's mother had long ago left the family and gone to Winnipeg. Eugene Fontaine, 41, had cancer and had been given only four months to live. He was on a three-day alcohol and drug binge with two friends, Nicholas Abraham and Jonathan Starr, when a dispute over money erupted.

He was beaten repeatedly over several hours, dragged outside to a shed, tied up and left without a shirt on a cold autumn night.

Crown attorney Mike Himmelman called the killing "a gratuitous act of senseless violence" and asked Court of Queen's Bench Justice Brenda Keyser for a 10-year sentence, minus 4 1/2 years credit for the three years the men have already spent in custody.

Defence lawyers have asked for sentences close to time-served. Keyser reserved her decision until December.

Both Abraham and Starr have criminal records and come from very troubled backgrounds not uncommon on reserves, their lawyers said.

Abraham's lawyer told court that his client was raised by alcoholics and witnessed violence and abuse from a young age. Abraham, now 24, saw both his parents incarcerated when he was five and spent much of his time in family services care.

Starr's lawyer told the court that her client endured horrific physical and sexual abuse in the foster care system, suffers from Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and has the mental capacity of a 10-year-old.

Both men apologized in court Wednesday and turned to face the Fontaine family, many of whom were weeping.
"I know you guys hate me right now. I wish I could do something," Abraham said, sobbing.
"I really wish it could have been me ... instead of (Eugene Fontaine)."

Starr said he "can never imagine the pain and the suffering I have caused ... but from the depths of my heart, I am truly sorry."

Outside court, the victim's sister -- another of Tina's aunts -- said she cannot forgive the two men.

"I don't want to know them. I don't forgive them. They took away my brother and they can't give us (him) back," Lana Fontaine said through tears.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 12:54:11 AM »
I found an article which talks about the many issues in Winnipeg and Manitoba in general. According to this article, Tina and a sister had been in their father's care because the mother had left them when the girls were small. When the father became ill he gave them into the care of an Aunt who lovingly raised the girls, however the father kept in touch on a regular basis until he was murdered.
So when Tina had done well in school, the Aunt allowed Tina to spend a week with her mother in Winnipeg as a reward. The absentee mother is where Tina's life fell apart as her world was much different from where Tina came from. Very sad! The absentee mother should be charged as well for endangering Tina's life!

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/welcome-to-winnipeg-where-canadas-racism-problem-is-at-its-worst/

Excerpt from a very long article:

Thelma, an eloquent mother of three, and her husband, Joseph, had been caring for Tina and Sarah since they were three and four, when their father, Eugene, was diagnosed with lymphoma. (Their mother had left the girls as babies.) Eugene had been raising the girls on his own in Winnipeg, where he worked at a tire plant. He knew the girls would be better off with Thelma, his aunt, who had helped raise him.
In a handwritten note dated Nov. 21, 2003, which still hangs in a simple wooden frame in Thelma’s living room in Powerview-Pine Falls, about 100 km northeast of Winnipeg, Eugene signed over temporary custody of Tina, his “little monkey,” and Sarah, whom he’d lovingly nicknamed “chubby.” Tina, a beautiful wisp of a girl, flourished at École Powerview after Thelma pulled her and Sarah from their reserve school. Math was her favourite subject. Her boyfriend was deaf; the pair communicated by texting.
Eugene was a constant presence. He never missed Christmas or a birthday. But he never had the chance to bring them back home to Winnipeg. He became addicted to his pain medication and the alcohol he was using to cope. On Oct. 31, 2011—just shy of the four months doctors told him he had left to live—Eugene was beaten to death in a dispute over money.
Tina was left deeply scarred. “Two people were killed that night,” says Thelma. Last spring, Tina ran away twice to Winnipeg to visit her mom—a relationship Thelma encouraged, feeling the girl needed another parental bond after losing her dad. In early July, she allowed Tina to visit her mom in Winnipeg for a week: it was her reward for excellent grades that June. The night before she left, the family gathered to pray and ask for protection, as they do every night. The next morning Thelma gave Tina $60 and a calling card. “If things don’t work out, use the calling card and I’ll come get you,” she said.
When Tina didn’t come home, Thelma reported her missing to police. Little is known about what happened to her in the weeks after that. She cut off her long, black hair. Her family believes she began using drugs. Friends say she was working in the sex trade to earn money. She was failed repeatedly by agencies meant to protect her.
On Aug. 8, police came across Tina in a roadside stop: she was in a vehicle with a male driver who was allegedly intoxicated. He was taken into police custody. Officers let Tina go, even though she was listed as a high-risk missing person. A few hours later she was rushed to Children’s Hospital after being found passed out in a core-area back alley. Her family was not notified she was in hospital. When she woke, Child and Family Services placed Tina in a downtown hotel where she was allowed to walk away. (In March 2014, the average number of kids in city hotels was 65, up from 17 two years earlier. The bloated system simply cannot cope with the huge number of children in care in Manitoba. Almost 90 per cent of children in foster care in Manitoba are Aboriginal, the highest rate in Canada.)
Tina was last seen on Aug. 9, shortly after 3 a.m., by a new friend. “I want to go home to Sagkeeng, where I’m loved,” she told her. The friend says Tina was approached by a man who asked her to perform a sex act. Eight days later she was pulled from the river, identified by a tattoo on her back bearing the name of her father, Eugene.
On a recent frigid weekday afternoon, a 14-year-old Aboriginal girl, coming off a high after huffing gas, told Maclean’s none of her girlfriends have changed their behaviour in the wake of Tina’s murder, laughing at the suggestion. She’d known Tina. Her friends know Rinelle Harper. “That’s never going to happen to us,” she said. Within days, Winnipeg police would announce another missing Aboriginal girl last seen in the North End. She is just 14—missing more than a month.
Since Tina’s death, Thelma has refused to leave her tidy home on Louis Riel Drive. “Every time I leave the house I feel like I’m having a panic attack.” She can’t forgive herself for letting Tina go to Winnipeg. “It’s like somebody ripped your heart out of your chest. To this day, it’s like they’re stomping, stomping, stomping on it.
“They treated her like garbage, wrapping her up in a bag and throwing her into the river,” she says. “She wasn’t garbage. She was my baby.”

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/raymond-cormier-trial-verdict-tina-fontaine-1.4542319

Snipped.

A jury has found Raymond Cormier not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Tina Fontaine.

After the verdict was delivered, people in the crowd burst into tears and gasps of disbelief were heard from members of the teen girl's family and supporters. Her biological mother, Valentina Duck, swore at Cormier before walking out of the courtroom.

'We've all failed her. We as a nation need to do better.'
? Grand Chief Sheila North
"F--k you if you think you can get away with this," Duck said.

As Cormier was led out of the court room, Tina's great-aunt, Thelma Favel, also yelled at him.

Tina's 72-pound body was found in Winnipeg's Red River, wrapped in a duvet cover and weighted down with rocks, on Aug. 17, 2014. She was 15. Cormier, 56, was charged on Dec. 8, 2015.

Dozens of people, including members of Tina's family, lined up outside the courtroom before the doors were opened to let people in to hear the jury deliver the verdict.

The crowd also included police officers who worked on the case and First Nations leaders, politicians and reporters. Tina was from Sagkeeng First Nation, north of Winnipeg.

Within minutes of the verdict, Indigenous leaders in Manitoba criticized the systems that they say failed.

"This is a very difficult and tremendously sad day for our people," said Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Grand Chief Sheila North, on the steps of the courthouse.

"This is not the outcome anybody wanted. The systems, everything that was involved in Tina's life, failed her. We've all failed her. We as a nation need to do better for our young people.

"This is a message to them that is probably discouraging, saying that it's OK to kill our Indigenous young people. It is not OK."

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:43:52 PM »
How terrible. What a sad, sad day.

Can the prosecutor re-try?

jb