Author Topic: Anita Thorne - 49 - Missing - Car found at Willow River Rest area - PG, BC  (Read 15646 times)

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
Search for Missing Woman -- Anita Florence Thorne

Prince George, Police Dog Services, Air Services
File # 2014-34838
2014-11-21 12:43 PST

The Prince George RCMP are requesting assistance from the public in locating a missing local woman who has not been seen since Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday November 19th, 2014 at 8:15 PM, the Prince George RCMP received a report that Anita Florence THORNE, a 49 year old Prince George resident, has not been seen by family or friends since she left home on Wednesday morning.

http://princegeorge.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=775&languageId=1&contentId=39616

http://princegeorge.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/digitalAssets/44/44979_THORNE_1_crop.jpg

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
Re: Anita Thorne - 49 - Missing - Car found at Willow River Rest area - PG, BC
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »
Search for Anita Thorne suspendedAnybody who has any information that might lead to finding Anita Thorne please contact the RCMP at 250-561-3300.

http://www.pgfreepress.com/search-for-anita-thorne-suspended/

SAP

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
Now with snow on the ground, they should have picked up tracks leading away from Anita's vehicle. Footprints or tire tracks, drag marks, etc. I hope she is ok but she would have called someone by now if she had the free will to do so.

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:02:40 PM »
Yes SAP. There is a video from the local TV station and it doesn't look like there is much or any snow on the ground yet at the time she went missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVGRChBqR0

But even if there weren't tracks visible (to us), the SAR / RCMP Dogs and handlers and also 'rank and file' SAR people are amazing and they seem to have come up empty also. I believe that the RCMP helicopters have the capabilities to find heat signatures and also may be equipped with foliage penetrating radar and they haven't found anything either.

She has only been missing a week and I would not normally consider posting anything about her yet, but, she was on the notorious 'highway of tears' (a mythological descriptor by a group of people), her search was initiated ASAP, and IMO if a person wants to disappear, they probably wouldn't drive 35 kms and abandon their car and leave no trace. Why not just disappear from PG? I don't know anything about her as a person, but if she was 'visiting' someone(s) why would her car be out there instead of Prince George, for example?

I am planning to remove the Post about Anita if/when she is found safe and I truly hope I will be able to do so very soon.

SAP

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
Yes SAP. There is a video from the local TV station and it doesn't look like there is much or any snow on the ground yet at the time she went missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVGRChBqR0

But even if there weren't tracks visible (to us), the SAR / RCMP Dogs and handlers and also 'rank and file' SAR people are amazing and they seem to have come up empty also. I believe that the RCMP helicopters have the capabilities to find heat signatures and also may be equipped with foliage penetrating radar and they haven't found anything either.

She has only been missing a week and I would not normally consider posting anything about her yet, but, she was on the notorious 'highway of tears' (a mythological descriptor by a group of people), her search was initiated ASAP, and IMO if a person wants to disappear, they probably wouldn't drive 35 kms and abandon their car and leave no trace. Why not just disappear from PG? I don't know anything about her as a person, but if she was 'visiting' someone(s) why would her car be out there instead of Prince George, for example?

I am planning to remove the Post about Anita if/when she is found safe and I truly hope I will be able to do so very soon.

That is odd then, that not a trace after using special dogs and other sensor equipment. I worry about Highway 16 as well. Having been a frequent flyer on that highway, I haven't had the courage to drive alone since especially the McCann case and really getting to know about the other criminal element out there after so many missing.

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »
I believe I see wedding rings on her finger. So I am assuming that she has family who are frantic in locating her.

I see that Anita was also an active member in a Union Cope 378.
http://www.cope378.ca/shift-bid-committee-announcement
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have a similar case on this board, regarding an abandoned vehicle.  Lorraine Roach, in her 50's, whereby her car was found abandoned on a road - with no signs of her.  All tools were used to locate her; example- sniffer dogs - boats, searchers, around that area, without any sign that she had even been there.,

It has been over a year, and  she still has not been found.

Let us hope that Anita returns home soon.

JB
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:29:25 PM by jellybean »

SAP

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »
Thanks for finding that bit about the union, JB. It made me wonder if there is any strife between some unions and whomever the shift bids were for. It also made me recollect to many years back when truckers in Ab were threatened due to them sticking to union rules and also a strike in the 70's at a hospital in Edmonton. At these times lives were threatened but the most damage that was actually done was to vehicles/tires, etc and threatening phone calls.
So it made me question whether Anita being involved in the union and becoming a steward had something to do with her going missing. It does not appear that any of the other stewards are missing or unaccounted for.
At present I noted that any union strife that is on-going has been with teachers and native leaders.

eta:
This union covers a wide range:

http://www.cope378.ca/

eta:
The office (Fortis) Anita would be working out of is located on Caribou/Highway 97 which intersects to Highway 16. Most of her driving to Willow Creek turn off/rest stop was on H-way 16. She left that morning, on her way to work.

Some questions:
Had she offered to go out and pick up someone to give them a ride? (possible telephone records)
Did someone call her before she left the house? (phone records)
Did the company send her out for some reason? (interview ... police/company boss)

Other questions that may seem meddling but non-the less important, imo:
Some conversations following media articles there are work colleagues (Fortis) hoping Anita is safe and soon home. One message is from a loving Auntie.
What about her children and husband? Nothing is really posted regarding immediate family. Is the husband out of the family picture?
While police are looking to the public for support, I would assume they are also checking on all these other details.

Good thoughts and prayers to all of Anita's family and friends/co-workers that Anita is found safe and well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:34:50 PM by SAP »

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
I haven't been able to find this on an RCMP www yet but a Radio Station reported this as quotes from the RCMP on Dec 02, 2014.

Update: Police rule out murder in disappearance of woman on Highway of Tears

Douglass says until evidence or new information is found to focus a new search, things remain on hold.

**live link removed
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:40:44 PM by debbiec »

SAP

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
Odd, those 2 bolded quote lines. They often say in a missing person's case (especially if no evidence of anything unusual is found) there is nothing to indicate foul play. However the first line, nothing to suggest murder ... could leave a person to think ... suicide? Yet nothing is found at all.
Perhaps the policeman was caught off guard by the reporter and just didn't use the right wording. I kind of think that happens in a lot of cases where we get comments that really don't make sense with everything else.

krysnemma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:36:15 AM »
I knew Anita Thorne, she was a wonderful lady, I worked with her and lived close to her and her family. She was a lovely happy lady that would give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. As for the union bit, she was a shop rep however her disappearance crushed the ones she worked with, so much that they needed to bring in grief counselors to help people deal with the tragedy, so I am not thinking it had to do with anyone from work. It is a very big mystery as to whom would want to harm Anita, as to me I cannot see her going off without telling anyone nor leaving her loved ones behind to worry about her without so much as a goodbye. She loved her family and loved her home and I know she is missed and still thought of daily and the search will continue. 

SAP

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »
Thank you krysnemma. It is always wonderful to hear from people who knew the victim. Are there any active searches going on? Do police hint at any possibilities?
This is really very odd.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 03:39:32 PM »
Were the car keys left in the ignition? 

Were  her car doors locked?

Was her car seat left in the usual position?

Did she take her cell phone and purse with her when she left her home?  Were these items left in her car?

Has there been any recent use of her cell phone or bank withdrawals?

Was her marriage on a solid foundation?

Was she being treated by her doctor for depression?

Questions, questions.

Where is this beautiful woman?

My thoughts are with her family, friends and colleagues.

JB

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:43:59 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
I found this article, which gives further information..

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/reward-fundraising-to-help-find-p-g-woman-1.1729030

Anita Florence Thorne, 49, was last seen on Wed., Nov. 19 at Super Save Gas on Victoria Street, where she purchased gas before going through the nearby Tim Hortons drive-thru, according to the campaign posting at Go Fund Me.She was reported missing that night and her 2013 Ford Escape was found the next day at the Willow River rest stop, about 30 km east of the city. "Her purse was inside the unlocked vehicle, and visible, with nothing apparently missing. She is believed to have her keys, cigarettes, lighter and cell phone (which has gone unanswered when called), in her possession," according to the posting. -

I am wondering if she went there to meet someone to have a talk. She would bring her cigarettes, car keys and cell phone with her, to sit and talk to a person in another vehicle, which would be parked in the same rest stop??

She has been missing for quite sometime, and this is not looking good.

I hope police were able to get her cell phone records, but am wondering if texting can be traced?? (In case she was into texting)

JB

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:18:17 AM by jellybean »

looking

• View Profile
I went out to search for this woman recently.  The bush was very dense and the hillsides steep. SAR have done an extensive search, as I saw their ribbons over a large area.
The snow is still deep in areas and the river is raging.  And the bears are out. I saw nothing of her.