Author Topic: June Hibbs | Murdered | Glace Bay, NS (1976)  (Read 6888 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
June Hibbs | Murdered | Glace Bay, NS (1976)
« on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
In the past June Hibbs thread experienced many problems, as I'm sure most of the regular posters will recall. It was finally closed. Due to a new development in this case I have started another topic for June. We have yet to see how things will play out.   

Chris posted the message below last time we attempted to re-open this thread.   

Feel free to post facts about this case in this thread. but please, do not post names or accusations here.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:23:46 AM by debbiec »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: June Hibbs | Murdered | Glace Bay, NS (1976)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
Man claims he witnessed disposal of Glace Bay woman's body in 1976

Cape Breton Post
Published on November 13, 2014

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2014-11-13/article-3939129/Man-claims-he-witnessed-disposal-of-Glace-Bay-womans-body-in-1976/1
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:30:03 AM by debbiec »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »
I totally remember this case very well. And I was working in the court system at the time of this event. I also knew Mr. Hibbs, who is now deceased, before I ever started working in the court system. He had family members in my home town, whom I was acquainted with. He was in the army at the time and used to come home on leave and visit family there. My thoughts go out to this man who kept this secret. And I do believe he had every reason to be afraid for his safety. We will just sit by and see what happens here, but that is astounding information that has been brought forward. Prayers to those involved and maybe after all these years, maybe her remains will be found and there will be a final resting place for her family to visit.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:50:52 PM »
I still continue to hope and pray that June's family will be blessed with the answers they deserve. They have had too many years of looking without finding their answers. They deserve some peace. I have always admired the son's dedication to his mother's honor.  Hopefully, she will be able to rest in peace soon.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
quote from above article;

here is law enforcements answer/jb

""I can tell you whenever someone brings forward information related to a case, we receive it, assess it and investigate it thoroughly to determine its relevance, regardless of how much time has passed," he said.

LeBlanc also confirmed the RCMP have no plans to dig or excavate at any site to look for Hibbs' remains. two people were charged in relation to Hibbs' death, with one person found guilty of manslaughter and the other person acquitted.

Desiree Vassallo, spokeswoman for the Cape Breton Regional Police Service, said the Hibbs case was never a regional police investigation, and for that reason is not a case they are investigating. unquote

More frustration for Blair and his family !!

JB

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:18:42 PM by jellybean »

SAP

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
I was also hoping that the family can finally have the closure they need but this is sounding rather contradictory ... quoted of the police.

I can tell you whenever someone brings forward information related to a case, we receive it, assess it and investigate it thoroughly to determine its relevance, regardless of how much time has passed," he said.

to this:

LeBlanc also confirmed the RCMP have no plans to dig or excavate at any site to look for Hibbs' remains.

From what I remember of all the details of the court case, it wasn't done properly. I don't believe it was manslaughter for one ... more like an "accessory to" ... while one went free.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
It appears there is still hope that this latest tip will be properly investigated. Fingers crossed.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1251189-son-believes-witness-has-clue-to-location-of-june-hibbs%E2%80%99-body

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »
What happened to the whole thread? There was a lot of info and conversation on June's case. I recently ran across another case similar from USA and that case also could have been solved from the get go but wasn't solved until after some 50 years. Perhaps there is hope for proper justice for June  as well.
The other case is Louise Pietriewicz and of course husband was a cop.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43659650

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »
What happened to the whole thread? There was a lot of info and conversation on June's case. I recently ran across another case similar from USA and that case also could have been solved from the get go but wasn't solved until after some 50 years. Perhaps there is hope for proper justice for June  as well.
The other case is Louise Pietriewicz and of course husband was a cop.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43659650

I believe Debbie's post dated Nov 2014 (at the beginning of this new thread) pretty well explains it Sap1.  It was very unfortunate that there had been so much disagreement and controversy, a lot of which I think was probably just misunderstandings which sort of got out of hand.  There was so much information on the thread and I believe most posters were sincerely trying to be helpful.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
Years of stories about the cop/husband disposing of June was deliberately (imo) muddled for years in order to cause confusion and keep the murder unsolved forever.  However, one story really stuck with me all these years:  https://www.capebretonpost.com/news/local/man-claims-he-witnessed-disposal-of-glace-bay-womans-body-in-1976-7441/

GLACE BAY — While walking through a field off Reserve Street, Cecil Mills turned white and began to shake.
"It's giving me chills," he said.

Mills, raised in Glace Bay and still living in the area, said he believes he witnessed the burying of June Hibbs' body 38 years ago.

The Cape Breton Post accompanied Mills to the area recently as he attempted to find the location.

Although it's all overgrown and looks different, he believes he found the general location where she was buried.

"I believe I'm within metres of where she was buried," he said while standing in a small pit in a field off Reserve Street, with a rocky bank behind him.

"I never really came back here again after that day. I couldn’t.”

June Hibbs disappeared from Glace Bay in March 1976. The body of the 32-year-old mother of four was never found.

Her sister, Diane Campbell, was convicted of manslaughter and served four years in prison. June’s husband, John Hibbs, a former police officer, was also charged but was not convicted. He has since died.

Mills said he's coming out with his story now because he's tired of hiding and living in fear.

"For the last 40 years this has been on my mind everyday," he said.

"Knowing someone was buried there, I had to keep it quiet for my own safety."

Mills said he also wants to help the family that has been searching for Hibbs' remains all these years. He said if anyone is questioning the truth in his information he's willing to prove it.

"I'm willing to take a lie detector test or go under hypnosis," he said.

Mills said it all began one night in August 1976 when he stayed overnight at his brother Cyril Mills' former house on Reserve Street. He woke up between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. and headed out the back door to the field behind the house to pick blueberries.

He remembers following a rugged walking trail and hearing voices.

"I could hear people hollering and cursing, but I couldn't see a soul. Everyone was hollering and swearing at the same time, like in a panic."

Mills thought at first someone needed help. As he got closer, he said, he could see an opening through the brush. He said there was a bank and on the wall of the bank was a shaft door. Mills said he knelt down behind brush so no one could see him.

"I was curious what was going on."

He saw a dump truck and counted about six people at the scene. He said all their faces were covered — except one — not in a way to disguise themselves, but rather over the nose and mouth, as if trying to seek relief from an odour.

Mills said he watched as the men removed a green tarp, which reminded him of army tent material, from the truck.

"It was obvious a body was in it. You could clearly see the human form. I'm 100 per cent sure."

He saw a man holding a wooden box walking backward as a wire was unwinding from the door opening in the bank.

In the meantime, five people jumped in the dump truck and took off.

He said he watched this man detonate the device.

Mills stayed out of sight until everyone was gone. 

He told his family what he had seen but they urged him not tell anyone.

"My mother was reading about everything (about June Hibbs) in the Cape Breton Post. She said, 'You could be killed over this.' My parents made me swear to keep quiet.”

Eventually, his parents and brothers told him he should to go to the police, so he went to the Cape Breton Regional Police and to the RCMP.

"For many years later, I thought it was all being investigated so I just backed off and let the investigation work itself."

June's son Blair Hibbs, who was 13 at the time his mother disappeared, said he has spoken with Mills and believes his information is credible.

He now lives in Ontario but has never stopped looking for clues about his mother.

"I'm confident (Mills) has seen a body being disposed of and I'm fairly confident it's tied to mom."

Hibbs said that about 12 years ago his cousin suggested he talk to Mills. Hibbs had several phone conversations with Mills.

"During those interviews I was able to ascertain this man saw a body being disposed of."

Hibbs, who says he's done police training and worked in the private investigation sector at one time, said he then flew back to Cape Breton to meet with Mills in person.

"I was trying to make a connection with mom's remains and the remains that he seen."

He then took the information to a member of the RCMP.

However, Hibbs said the officer was in a different department and didn't deal with this type of case.

"It could have been fluffed off because of Cecil’s demeanour and disposition, the way he communicates sometimes.

“Cecil specified seeing the body wrapped in what reminded him a green army tent, “ Hibbs said.

"My father had a green tent that we pitched in the yard for family when they came from Ontario. It leaked all over the place. I clearly remember that tent."

In 2011, an excavation took place in a totally different area, on the property of Seaview Manor, after remains of a dog similar to the age and breed of a family pet of the Hibbs family that went missing at the same time as his mother, were discovered.

Nothing came from the excavation.

Hibbs said that over the last five years, two other people have approached him with information on the night his mother went missing.

Hibbs hopes Mills' coming forward might prompt others with information to do the same and is appealing to anyone who can help to contact him at 1-519-624-7653.

Sgt. Al LeBlanc, media relations for the RCMP, couldn't provide specific information on the case, but confirmed that because June Hibbs' body was never found, it remains an open file.

"I can tell you whenever someone brings forward information related to a case, we receive it, assess it and investigate it thoroughly to determine its relevance, regardless of how much time has passed," he said.

LeBlanc also confirmed the RCMP have no plans to dig or excavate at any site to look for Hibbs' remains. He said it’s important to remember that two people were charged in relation to Hibbs' death, with one person found guilty of manslaughter and the other person acquitted.

Desiree Vassallo, spokeswoman for the Cape Breton Regional Police Service, said the Hibbs case was never a regional police investigation, and for that reason is not a case they are investigating.

smontgomery@cbpost.com

"It's giving me chills," he said.

Mills, raised in Glace Bay and still living in the area, said he believes he witnessed the burying of June Hibbs' body 38 years ago.

The Cape Breton Post accompanied Mills to the area recently as he attempted to find the location.

Although it's all overgrown and looks different, he believes he found the general location where she was buried.

"I believe I'm within metres of where she was buried," he said while standing in a small pit in a field off Reserve Street, with a rocky bank behind him.

"I never really came back here again after that day. I couldn’t.”

June Hibbs disappeared from Glace Bay in March 1976. The body of the 32-year-old mother of four was never found.

Her sister, Diane Campbell, was convicted of manslaughter and served four years in prison. June’s husband, John Hibbs, a former police officer, was also charged but was not convicted. He has since died.

Mills said he's coming out with his story now because he's tired of hiding and living in fear.

"For the last 40 years this has been on my mind everyday," he said.

"Knowing someone was buried there, I had to keep it quiet for my own safety."

Mills said he also wants to help the family that has been searching for Hibbs' remains all these years. He said if anyone is questioning the truth in his information he's willing to prove it.

"I'm willing to take a lie detector test or go under hypnosis," he said.

Mills said it all began one night in August 1976 when he stayed overnight at his brother Cyril Mills' former house on Reserve Street. He woke up between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. and headed out the back door to the field behind the house to pick blueberries.

He remembers following a rugged walking trail and hearing voices.

"I could hear people hollering and cursing, but I couldn't see a soul. Everyone was hollering and swearing at the same time, like in a panic."

Mills thought at first someone needed help. As he got closer, he said, he could see an opening through the brush. He said there was a bank and on the wall of the bank was a shaft door. Mills said he knelt down behind brush so no one could see him.

"I was curious what was going on."

He saw a dump truck and counted about six people at the scene. He said all their faces were covered — except one — not in a way to disguise themselves, but rather over the nose and mouth, as if trying to seek relief from an odour.

Mills said he watched as the men removed a green tarp, which reminded him of army tent material, from the truck.

"It was obvious a body was in it. You could clearly see the human form. I'm 100 per cent sure."

He saw a man holding a wooden box walking backward as a wire was unwinding from the door opening in the bank.

In the meantime, five people jumped in the dump truck and took off.

He said he watched this man detonate the device.

Mills stayed out of sight until everyone was gone. 

He told his family what he had seen but they urged him not tell anyone.

"My mother was reading about everything (about June Hibbs) in the Cape Breton Post. She said, 'You could be killed over this.' My parents made me swear to keep quiet.”

Eventually, his parents and brothers told him he should to go to the police, so he went to the Cape Breton Regional Police and to the RCMP.

"For many years later, I thought it was all being investigated so I just backed off and let the investigation work itself."

June's son Blair Hibbs, who was 13 at the time his mother disappeared, said he has spoken with Mills and believes his information is credible.

He now lives in Ontario but has never stopped looking for clues about his mother.

"I'm confident (Mills) has seen a body being disposed of and I'm fairly confident it's tied to mom."

Hibbs said that about 12 years ago his cousin suggested he talk to Mills. Hibbs had several phone conversations with Mills.

"During those interviews I was able to ascertain this man saw a body being disposed of."

Hibbs, who says he's done police training and worked in the private investigation sector at one time, said he then flew back to Cape Breton to meet with Mills in person.

"I was trying to make a connection with mom's remains and the remains that he seen."

He then took the information to a member of the RCMP.

However, Hibbs said the officer was in a different department and didn't deal with this type of case.

"It could have been fluffed off because of Cecil’s demeanour and disposition, the way he communicates sometimes.

“Cecil specified seeing the body wrapped in what reminded him a green army tent, “ Hibbs said.

"My father had a green tent that we pitched in the yard for family when they came from Ontario. It leaked all over the place. I clearly remember that tent."

In 2011, an excavation took place in a totally different area, on the property of Seaview Manor, after remains of a dog similar to the age and breed of a family pet of the Hibbs family that went missing at the same time as his mother, were discovered.

Nothing came from the excavation.

Hibbs said that over the last five years, two other people have approached him with information on the night his mother went missing.

Hibbs hopes Mills' coming forward might prompt others with information to do the same and is appealing to anyone who can help to contact him at 1-519-624-7653.

Sgt. Al LeBlanc, media relations for the RCMP, couldn't provide specific information on the case, but confirmed that because June Hibbs' body was never found, it remains an open file.

"I can tell you whenever someone brings forward information related to a case, we receive it, assess it and investigate it thoroughly to determine its relevance, regardless of how much time has passed," he said.

LeBlanc also confirmed the RCMP have no plans to dig or excavate at any site to look for Hibbs' remains. He said it’s important to remember that two people were charged in relation to Hibbs' death, with one person found guilty of manslaughter and the other person acquitted.

Desiree Vassallo, spokeswoman for the Cape Breton Regional Police Service, said the Hibbs case was never a regional police investigation, and for that reason is not a case they are investigating.

smontgomery@cbpost.com
You can read that story and watch the man tell it in the video (as long as the powers that be don't get it removed somehow).

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 11:35:04 PM »
Thanks Ruby Rose. I guess I had skipped that part or forgot Debbie saying it was closed.