Author Topic: Dorothy Tucker (53) Missing - St. Stephen [Oak Haven]  (Read 7292 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Dorothy Tucker (53) Missing - St. Stephen [Oak Haven]
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »
Jellybean, in most of these cases the signs of violence are there, but the person always thinks that it will never happen to them. They think that they will never be the victim. This just didn't happen in the blink of an eye, she was possibly a victim of abuse for a long time and hid it from her friends. The same as a husband and wife relationship, keep it a secret and think it's going to go away. I sure feel sorry for those left behind.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »

Matthew Tucker has been found guilty of second-degree murder in the 2014 death of his mother, Dorothy Tucker, of Oak Haven, near St. Stephen.

The 36-year-old man showed little reaction to the verdict.

Second-degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison with no eligibility of parole for a minimum of 10 years.

Following the verdict, Justice William Grant sent the jurors back to see if they could agree on a sentencing recommendation on how long Tucker should serve in prison before becoming eligible for parole.

The jury declined to make a recommendation.

Grant set Dec. 13 as the date for a sentencing hearing, where the Crown and defence will put forward their recommendations for parole eligibility.
Tucker did not testify

Tucker did not testify in the trial and the defence did not call any witnesses.

Earlier in the day, the Crown and defence offered sharply differing views of Matthew Tucker's mental state as they made final arguments at his second-degree murder trial.

Tucker was charged in the shooting death of his mother in November 2014.

Hunters found Dorothy's body in woods near St. Stephen 10 days after she disappeared from the home she shared with her son in Oak Haven, near St. Stephen.

Hours before her disappearance, Matthew Tucker flagged down RCMP officers in Oromocto and asked to be taken to hospital.

The officers described a man who was fearful, shaking and talking of a disembodied head he was seeing in the woods.
Matthew Tucker, 36, Oak Haven (DOB Nov. 10)

Matthew Tucker, 35, of Oak Haven, was found guilty of second-degree murder in the death of his mother, Dorothy Tucker. (CBC)

But Crown prosecutor Jill Knee reminded jurors that Dr. Linda Hebb, an emergency room physician at Oromocto Public Hospital, said Tucker calmed down after talking with her for a few minutes.

She determined he was not a candidate for a Form 1 under the Mental Health Act, which would have allowed hospital officials to hold him against his will, if necessary, for treatment.

Knee told jurors Tucker later loaded a gun, shot his mother, disposed of her body and tried to deflect the blame onto others.

She described blood-stained blue jeans that bore the DNA of both Matthew and Dorothy Tucker, along with the blood stains and shotgun pellets found in the bedroom.

"It comes together," said Knee. "The evidence has come together."
Sees no motive

Defence lawyer Brian Ferguson told the jury the Crown had not presented any evidence of a motive that would have driven Matthew Tucker to kill his mother.

He asked the jury to consider Tucker's state of mind carefully.

He reminded them that Oromocto RCMP Const. Valarie Caron grew more concerned with every minute she spent with Matthew Tucker after he flagged down her cruiser.

He referred to Caron's testimony that Tucker cried when his mother's name was mentioned.
Left gun out in open

He also said Matthew Tucker let police officers into the family home when they arrived looking for his mother following a missing person report.

Furthermore, a shotgun and blood-covered plastic were left in plain view, Ferguson said.

Jurors had the options of finding Tucker not guilty, guilty of manslaughter or guilty of second-degree murder.

With files from Connell Smith

N/A

WebURL: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/matthew-tucker-trial-1.3851424

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 12:05:31 PM »
I do hope he gets the maximum sentence in this case. He took the life of his own mother, what is any worse than that.  I believe he should have been convicted of FDM. These guys are getting off too easily. If you assault a woman in any way and it is violent, you know it can only end up in death. It is by far the most horrible crime, I hope he has nightmares for the rest of his days in jail. Hopefully he will get the maximum sentence.

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
LE and doc testimony showed the guy was actively psychotic before the murder, and there is no evidence of pre-planning, and I doubt he was even capable of planning at that point, so FDM seems to me to be completely at odds with the prosecutions evidence. He clearly has significant mental health issues. It seems to me it's cut and dried second degree murder, unless he can prove he was psychotic at the moment he pulled the trigger. He shouldn't have been let go from Emerg., and either the training or decision making of the Emerg. doc, the lack of a psychiatrist on call at the hospital, or the Mental health act needs review IMO. This should have been prevented by an effective screening process when he presented his symptoms to LE and the hospital.   

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
I agree, BaySailor.   This was definitely preventable.

If my memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always),  RCMP Const Caron expressed surprise in her testimony that he was not held at the hospital (even if against his will) for treatment.

Very sad.  I doubt if he is even yet fully aware of what he has done.  I seriously doubt if he will receive the help he so desperately needs in prison either.  In any event, it's too late for Dorothy.