Author Topic: Roxanne Lang - 44 - Murdered - Rich Valley Alberta - July 04, 2014  (Read 6549 times)

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
On July 04, 2014, Stony Plain RCMP and Emergency Services found Roxanne Lang, 44, unresponsive in her house on a farm about 65 kms west of Edmonton Alberta according to Alberta Police Report, July 11, 2014. She was declared deceased at the scene. The police did not feel there was any reason to warn the public about this incident.

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2014/07/11/sudden-death-of-stony-plain-woman-determined-a-homicide/

This case seems a bit strange to me, as the RCMP searched the property for 5 days and the public was not notified until a week or so after she was found. I have not been able to find any updates about the case due to lack of media coverage or additional information released by the Authorities. I have also been unable to find out anything about Roxanne or what happened to her. There has only been a handful of news releases and since July 11/12, 2014 almost nothing. Does anyone else have any additional information? I am posting this because I do not want her death to go unnoticed or forgotten about.

SAP

Re: Roxanne Lang - 44 - Murdered - Rich Valley Alberta - July 04, 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »
I hadn't even known about this case, and all the links on the Net say pretty well the same thing. So very little info given out and nothing on if the lady lived alone, etc.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:33:58 AM by SAP »

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply SAP   : )

The circumstances surrounding what happened to her just seem very sad to me.   I wrote July 04, 2014 on this profile but I have no idea when she actually died.   Was she there awhile before someone found her?  I have never been able to find an Obituary or even a picture of her.  There hasn't been any pleas for help from the family or Facebook posts etc. memorializing her.  Did she have children, and if so are, they doing OK?  It is like she was all alone in the world.  Was she?   

Was an arrest made and the RCMP aren't telling us?  If so, why not?  IMO the public has a right to know whom the criminals/murderers are surrounding us.  I have never been able to find her case on CrimeStoppers and the RCMP have never put out a public plea for information to 'solve' the crime.  It has been over 3 months since she was found.  Do the RCMP have a suspect?  Has the Coroner decided this isn't a homicide after all?  Is this a random crime?  Is this another Domestic homicide where a woman loses her life needlessly/senselessly/brutally?  Is someone(s) being protected from scrutiny by the media?  Does the media even care?

I understand that quite often families need privacy when tragic events like this happen so I'm not trying to bring them more pain by writing this nor am I making any judgements about them, I just wish there was more information about her life and what happened to her.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:10:30 PM »
From the Alberta Police Report:

Published On: Fri, Jul 11th, 2014

Sudden Death of Stony Plain Woman Determined a Homicide

Stony Plain, Alberta www.tipsubmit.comhttp://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2014/07/11/sudden-death-of-stony-plain-woman-determined-a-homicide/

SAP

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »
It sounds as though someone discovered this woman in a state of dying or already dead. I think there is a reason police did not give out anymore info such as whether she lived alone, etc.
It sounds so eerily similar to the following which also happened in a country setting (acreage developement) and not that far from the boundaries of Rich Valley.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5420.0

This case leaves a lot of questions and never solved.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »
Really, SAP.  How far away is it?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »
Excellent comparison.  I noticed that as well.  Roxanne's case is similar to Jolene's, and I believe it is in the same area.

Note from news article. quote  "police found no specific information which causes them to issue warnings or alerts to the general public in the area, however encourage people to remain vigilant in reporting suspicious occurrences to police."

I think that the police are being cautious and covering themselves when they encourage people to remain vigilant, as they should in all cases, whether a crime has been committed or not.

I get the impression that the police are working on the premise that she probably knew her killer, until proven otherwise. This is just my opinion of course.

Rich Valley is about a half hours drive from Stoney Plain.

JB
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:53:39 PM by jellybean »

SAP

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Jobo, right from Stony Plain town to hamlet of Rich Valley it is approximately 58 kms. Since it was the Stony Plain RCMP who intervened, I am assuming this lady was living on a farm close to the border between the 2 places, or bordering both Stony Plain and Spruce Grove country limits. Had she been closer to the hamlet Rich Valley, Barrhead police would have been called, imo, b/c Barrhead is very near Rich Valley.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=map+Stony+Plain+to+Rich+Valley+ab

SAP

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »
http://www.630ched.com/2015/05/24/teen-arrested-in-murder-of-roxanne-lang/Major Crime Unit with assistance from the Stony Plain RCMP have arrested an 18 year old male who is arrested with first degree murder.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 02:37:01 PM »
There was to be a prelim hearing on this case in the summer of 2015, however no further articles can be found. The teen, now 18, had been in custody until his hearing.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
7 years.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/man-sentenced-as-a-youth-in-rich-valley-farmhouse-murder

Stony Plain ? Supporters of a young man who admitted to killing a woman in a rural Alberta farmhouse in 2014 sat in a small Stony Plain courtroom Tuesday as he was handed a seven-year sentence.

The man was 17 when he shot Roxanne Lang, 43, with a rifle inside her home on a farm near the hamlet of Rich Valley on July 4, 2014.

Now 20, the man?s identity remains protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

According to an agreed statement of facts, police responded to a 911 call from the home on the day of Lang?s death. Officers found her body. An autopsy later determined she?d been shot in the back with a .303 rifle from less than a metre away.

Investigators found no evidence of forced entry, robbery or that a struggle had occurred.

The accused was a high school student at the time of the offence, and had no prior criminal record.

He was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and several other weapons offences on May 22, 2015. He confessed to the killing the following day.

Lang?s brother and sister-in-law live in British Columbia and weren?t able to attend the sentencing hearing Tuesday, but submitted victim impact statements to the court.

?I can make no sense of this crime. She was so young and taken from us brutally,? Lang?s brother, George Nelson, wrote.

Speaking to the Journal from his B.C. home, Nelson described his sister as a hardworking single mother of two.

Court also heard the accused had suffered ?significant and protracted abuse? prior to the shooting, and that his emotional development had been affected.

After being arrested, the man was admitted to the Alberta Hospital as a patient, and spent the majority of his time prior to his sentencing receiving treatment.

He entered a guilty plea to second-degree murder in September 2016.

Crown prosecutors Scott Pittman and John Schmidt didn?t seek to have the man sentenced as an an adult, and made a joint submission with the man?s defence lawyer John Sinclair for a seven-year sentence.

Though the man is being sentenced as a youth, he will serve his sentence in an adult facility. Provincial court Judge Michael Savaryn recommended the sentence be served in the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre because the man?s grandmother is nearby.

With credit for time already served, the young man will remain in custody for just over two years.

Rich Valley is about 70 km northwest of Edmonton.

pparsons@postmedia.com