Author Topic: Missing Since 1990 Vincent Grunau  (Read 4862 times)

martinjfrankson

• View Profile
Missing Since 1990 Vincent Grunau
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »
During research on the structures of the Vancouver PD, I came across their missing persons site. One young man stood out and I can't explain why. It was a Vincent Grunau who went missing in Vancouver on Jan 3rd 1990. A suicide letter was found soon after but no trace of Vincent was ever found to this day.
I performed some searches online but since we're talking about 1990, before the days of the web and Facebook etc, virtually little exists online except for this page of the most basic information
http://cfapp.vancouver.ca/MissingPersons_wac/MissingPersons.exe

I came across a page from http://www.lostcash.ca/display.php?itemid=20002129292 which allows people to find dormant/forgotten bank accounts. According to this, there is a dormant bank account in the name of Vincent Grunau which was last accessed on Dec 19th 1989, a mere 15 days before he went missing. However, according to the account page, the customer account was based in Toronto and not Vancouver. A coincidence maybe but its quite a coincidence. A bank account bearing the name of a man who goes missing, not being accessed since 2 weeks before he goes missing and not since?

I have emailed my findings to the Vancouver PD as soon as I found out. It could be nothing but every little may help. Also, back in 1990, it may not have been technologically possible to find out every bank account that belongs to an individual. Things were still pretty low tech back then and maybe not all joined up like they are today.

On the subject of missing persons pages, I do find that they contain very scant information and if they are there to serve the purpose of helping solve cases for missing persons, then shouldn't they contain everything and the kitchen sink about them e.g. names of family, close friends, likes, dislikes, family photos, interviews/testimonials from those close to them, habits, etc etc? Just my opinion. Thank you

SAP

Re: Missing Since 1990 Vincent Grunau
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »
I haven't seen any missing person's organizations give any more info other than what they have on them now. For example, the following link:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3612dmbc.html

Porchlight doesn't give any more info than Doenetwork. If you check Police missing person's reports, there is not much more they add either, except for when they know places the missing person has been known to frequent.

I was going to mention that possibly the man changed his identity but why leave his bank account untouched then? That his bank account was based down east probably was from when he lived down east and if he dealt with the same bank in Vancouver, there really was no need to reopen a new account. (Myself, my bank account shows 100 miles from where I live now.)

Great that you mailed the info to police and hope it sparks interest in finding his remains, or if he changed his identity and moved away from the area. I hope you get results.
Sad if Vincent committed suicide ...

eta:
Rethinking this, a 4 page suicide note is very lengthy for a note so police and his mother should have known by that, what was going on with Vincent. So many things can come into play ... was he in University/or highschool and struggling? Had he lived down east and missed his friends, or a special friend? Was he under treatment with mental health? Did he decide to disappear and fake his death for some reason? If at the last minute he decided to change his identity, it would have looked suspicious if he had cleaned out his bank account prior.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:09:58 PM by SAP »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
quote SAP "Rethinking this, a 4 page suicide note is very lengthy for a note so police and his mother should have known by that, what was going on with Vincent. So many things can come into play ... was he in University/or highschool and struggling? Had he lived down east and missed his friends, or a special friend? Was he under treatment with mental health? Did he decide to disappear and fake his death for some reason? If at the last minute he decided to change his identity, it would have looked suspicious if he had cleaned out his bank account prior." unquote

Excellent questions.  I have another one.  Since he has been missing since 1990, the parents could of made legal process to declare him legally dead, and close his bank accounts.  (That is - if it is his money -)
I realize that parents are ever hopeful......

JB

SAP

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »
The lad was only 17 ... I guess it is hope JB ... if they didn't close his account. I don't think I could do that to any of my children if they went missing as the hope would always be there.
So sad. He is such a handsome young man and his countenance shows a well mannered easy going fellow, imo.

martinjfrankson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »
Yes, I have found that other missing persons sites are similarly bare of information to the point where their function would only be served in a v limited manner. It's a shame and it doesn't help the families or those who seek to find their missing loved ones. I haven't received a reply from the Vancouver PD but I intend to call them next week to see if the information was indeed received and what their intentions are with the information I've found.

Perhaps newspaper articles from the time of Vincent's disappearance may have more information but there doesn't seem to be an online newspaper archive which I find odd in this day and age. I don't live in Canada and don't have access to library microfiche systems so readily. Perhaps someone here could be kind to pay a visit to the Central library and see what they have for Jan 3-30th 1990 to see what was reported?

I don't know if there is any etiquette on how or even if amateur detectives should proceed with such cold cases. For example, if I found one of the other contributors to the UBC magazine online and I emailed that person for their opinions and memories of Vincent, would that be ethical or would it cause unnecessary upset. I don't know. i know I want to help but I don't know the ethics of the endeavor. Any advice welcome.

SAP

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »
I hope someone on here has a pass for Vancouver newspaper archives.

Seems as though the family had just moved to Vancouver too, at least according to this following:

http://www.lostcash.ca/display.php?itemid=20002129292

I have no idea what newspapers Vancouver had back in 1990.

martinjfrankson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
SAP
That's the link I originally provided and does not prove that the family had only moved to Vancouver. It only shows that there was once a bank account in the name of Vincent Grunau, held in Toronto, nothing more, nothing less. It could be his or that of a namesake or that he had opened an account in Toronto without his family knowing. You could be right however but unless you have definitive proof, noone can say for certain if the family moved there. There is an old PDF of a UBC journal 'The Ubyssey' from 1988 where a Vincent Grunau contributed a theatre review.

SAP

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
You are correct; it doesn't mean they were living in Toronto at the time he had the account there but I did googlemap the address and it at least does not show office buildings ... rather residential area similar to multiplex housing like 4 plexes. He was only 17 back then so I hardly think it was part of an elaborate escape plan but I could be wrong.

Other than that, the reason why nothing much may appear in news archives is when suicide is suspected, police usually close the case with no, or little info to the public in respect for the family's need for privacy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:32:16 PM by SAP »