Author Topic: PERPS "APOLOGIES" TO MAN LEFT BRAIN INJURED DUE TO ATTACK  (Read 4004 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
PERPS "APOLOGIES" TO MAN LEFT BRAIN INJURED DUE TO ATTACK
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/09/12/edmonton-man-apologizes-in-court-for-booze-fuelled-assault-that-left-victim-with-a-permanent-brain-injury

Who is safe, around a man like this??

An Edmonton man issued a tearful apology in court Friday to a father of two he severely injured when he stomped on his head in an unprovoked bar attack.

Dale Steven Carter, 28, cried as he told victim Scott Allnutt that he was "deeply sorry" for the 2012 assault that left the 45-year-old with a permanent brain injury.

"Nothing I can say can take that back," said Carter, calling the booze-fuelled incident his "waking point" as his girlfriend sobbed in the front row of the gallery.

"I'm sorry it had to be you," said Carter.

Carter earlier pleaded guilty to aggravated assault for the random Feb. 18, 2012, beating in the bathroom of Hudson's bar in South Edmonton Common which Provincial Court Judge Janet Dixon called an "incredibly violent assault" that resulted in "profound" injuries.

Crown prosecutor John Watson argued it is aggravating that Allnutt was attacked while he was on the ground and asked for a prison term of between five and seven years.

Defence lawyer Lionel Chartrand suggested a 21-month sentence - deemed already served by the 14 months he has spent in pre-trial custody - and two years of probation, arguing Carter was "extremely intoxicated" at the time and the attack was "impulsive" and "not planned."

Dixon is expected to sentence Carter on Oct. 1.

Court has heard Allnutt was at Hudson's celebrating his sister's birthday with family and was jumped by Carter in the men's room despite them having never met or spoken.

Watson told court Carter stomped on Allnutt's head when he fell down and said Allnutt never even had a chance to fight back as he lay bloodied on the floor. A witness got a bouncer and police and ambulances came shortly after.

Watson also told court that Carter's hands were covered in blood when he said to an officer: "It's not my fault the guy is in hospital. He should've fought harder. I'm just trying to have some fun."

Allnutt, who has no memory of the attack, was left with a severe brain injury. He spent two weeks in the University of Alberta Hospital and remains a patient of the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital. He suffers speech problems, mobility issues and numbness and has a spotty memory.

In a victim impact statement, Allnutt said his life "was changed forever" in an instant and he spoke about how his rehabilitative struggles have severely hampered his relationship with his two young children.

Outside court, Allnutt had mixed feelings about Carter's apology. "This will impact my family forever. It will never go away. This will never be over," he said.

Allnutt's wife Melissa said she felt Carter was sincere, but was "taken aback" by the defence arguing he should be let out on probation due to her husband having been given "pretty much a life sentence" by his injuries.

"I guess we'll find out Oct. 1," she said.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:24:29 PM by jellybean »

SAP

Re: PERPS "APOLOGIES" TO MAN LEFT BRAIN INJURED DUE TO ATTACK
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
He said he was just trying to have some fun! Really?!

Watson also told court that Carter's hands were covered in blood when he said to an officer: "It's not my fault the guy is in hospital. He should've fought harder. I'm just trying to have some fun."

Sick ba**ard! He needs the max sentence he can get. Next time he gets drunk and wants some fun, it can happen again. He can cry and act sympathetic but what good does that do?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »
Sounds to me that it will be a light sentence.  I will try and keep an eye on it, and see how it turns out. Perhaps someone other than me can also keep their eyes open re sentencing.  I will try to catch it - but I may miss out.
The perp's name is Dale Steven Carter, 28,

JB

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
This guy should get serious jail time, there is too much of unprovoked attacks on people. If a person cannot go to a restroom at a night spot, when they are celebrating a birthday, what is the world coming to. I say eight years in jail would be a good sentence and serve every day. Just assaulting someone for fun, wow, what a sicko.  This guy should be banned from every bar in that city, absolutely he should not be allowed in any bar, because this guy is a walking time bomb.  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:33 AM »
http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=675241dc-ad9a-4bdd-8440-4620b8b37b08

Man suing attacker, bar after assault

Ryan Cormier, Edmonton Journal
Published: Friday, October 25 2013
A 44-year-old Edmonton man who was left with a brain injury after a vicious beating in the bathroom of the Hudsons bar in South Edmonton Common is suing his attacker and the bar for $6,575,000.

Scott Allnutt, a father of two children, was at the bar the night of Feb. 18, 2012 to celebrate his sister's birthday. Inside the men's room, he was attacked by 27-yearold Dale Steven Carter, even though the two had never met or spoken. When Allnutt fell to the floor, Carter stomped on his head, court heard at Carter's trial earlier this month. Allnutt never had a chance to fight back. During his arrest, court heard, Carter said to an officer: "It's not my fault the guy is in hospital. He should've fought harder. I'm just trying to have some fun." Allnutt was left with a severe brain injury and no memory of the attack. He spent two weeks in the University of Alberta Hospital and has been a patient of Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital since. The injury has left him with speech problems, mobility issues, a numb left side and a spotty memory.

According to the statement of claim, Allnutt also suffered "an ongoing and permanent loss of income" because he may never be able to return to work. He can no longer drive and his rehabilitative struggles have severely hampered his relationship with his two young children.

Email to a friend
Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Printer friendly

Font:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

"In an instant, my life was changed forever," he told court in his victim impact statement. "This is a neverending struggle. The damage done is permanent ." The lawsuit states that the attack was "humiliating, degrading, high-handed, and malicious, such that an award of exemplary, aggravated and punitive damages is warranted."

In addition to lost wages and medical bills, Allnutt's wife Melissa has also missed significant work to care for him, the lawsuit states.

Allnutt is claiming that Hudsons is also liable for his injuries because they failed to provide adequate security and their employees lacked guidance and training.

The suit states that Hudsons overserved alcohol to Carter before the attack.

Carter pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and is scheduled to be sentenced on March 24.

Statements of claim contain allegations not proven in court.

rcormier@edmontonjournal.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that Carter will have to pay via his pocket book every day of his life.  I hope the creep gets the paltry 7 years that the crown is asking is for.

I also hope that the bar - will take some responsibility and pay their portion to the victim, rather than tying the law suit up in court for years.  Boy, am I a dreamer!!/jb

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
I cannot fathom this! Only 4 years!!

Meanwhile the victim of the unprovoked attack ...

Allnutt was left with a severe brain injury and no memory of the attack. He spent two weeks in the University of Alberta Hospital and has been a patient of Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital since. The injury has left him with speech problems, mobility issues, a numb left side and a spotty memory.

According to the statement of claim, Allnutt also suffered "an ongoing and permanent loss of income" because he may never be able to return to work. He can no longer drive and his rehabilitative struggles have severely hampered his relationship with his two young children.