Author Topic: Kathy & Alvin Liknes & Nathan O'Brien - Murdered - June 29, 2014 - Calgary, AB  (Read 104494 times)

Baba Donya

• View Profile
The family has had this property since 1904.

Check the abandoned wells. Alberta Environment can give historical data on that. All wells were registered, even if they are now abandoned.

CCF

• View Profile
The neighbour interviewed in the video from the news link below shares an interesting tidbit.  He says the family on the acreage has lived there for decades and have two grown children, a daughter who lives elsewhere and a son who still lives at home.  The neighbour guessed the son's age to be around 50 (that's who would be the POI) but doesn't know anything about him because he hardly ever sees him.  The way the neighbour talks, he has lived across the road from where the search is happening for sometime as well.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1434528/missing-family-search-large-police-presence-at-rural-property-north-of-calgary/

So the questions now are IF he is the guilty party, was he at the sale that day or did he attend the residence at an earlier date since the Liknes' had ads on Kijiji prior to the estate sale.  I'm just wondering now if robbery was NOT the motive, but he was disgruntled over an item or items he had purchased...maybe he asked to put something aside and it accidentally got sold to someone else.  Another neighbour who attended the sale stated during an interview that "the items for sale did not seem very valuable", so another possibility is something was sold to him for more money (not implying the Liknes' are dishonest or were overcharging) than it was worth and he wanted some or all of his money back after finding out its true value.  People snap over the weirdest things, especially when they feel they have been wronged.  The way he kept circling the block shows some sort of intent if he is the guilty party.  He was aware of the extra car and waited for it to leave.  This is probably why there were no signs of forced entry either because he showed up very shortly after the daughter left.  He probably knocked on the door and one of the grandparents opened it thinking their daughter had returned because she had forgotten something behind or forgot to leave something with her son and the surprise encounter began.  The CBC news site states he is co-operating to "a degree", so he sorta-kinda-but-not-really is.  Perhaps he was not alone which is why it is only to a degree.  He may not have been the one who entered the home and he has a buddy who had the issue.  He may have driven him over to the house planning to get his money/item one way or the other and the POI was his accomplice and was circling the block acting as kind of a roving lookout.

This is a huge stretch, but I wonder if they don't briefly look at this guy as a potential suspect in regards to who murdered the Carlson's back in February.  They were around the same age as the Liknes'; according to reports, Don Carlson was a coin dealer.  Despite what the one neighbour stated above about the items at the sale, if the Liknes' were selling antiques (or possibly coins/stamps), antique dealers and coin collectors go hand in hand.  So there is the potential for a weak circumstantial tie-in, but nothing more.

Just everything about this case is such a bizarre and tragic chain of events.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:41:30 AM by CCF »

looking

• View Profile
Hope they got the right guy.  What if he's innocent. 

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Hope they got the right guy.  What if he's innocent.

That is something that will be determined through further investigation. He has yet to be charged with anything.

Baba Donya

• View Profile
Looking: why would he be driving back and forth in this area, if he lived so far away? Was he the lookout?

looking

• View Profile
Good question.  Maybe there were others and another vehicle.  I think the cops would have found bodies by now if they were on the property.  I'm reminded of a big search on a property west of Prince George for Nicole Hoar that seemed promising, but nothing was ever found.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Thank you for the article CCF, much appreciated by we readers.

The POI's sister lives in the US. One neighbor described him, as "being somewhat removed", (whatever that means), and he is highly intelligent.

If he is still being questioned, I wonder how long the police can legally keep him in their custody?

Being highly intelligent, I wonder if he has requested a lawyer?

JB
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:53:00 AM by jellybean »

naz

• View Profile
  If the police finds evidences in his truck, then I think they can hold him for much longer, and charge him. He may become more cooperative too, if they can question him about as to why the Liknes were in his truck. It seems that if he had gone to the sale as everyone else just to buy something or to look , he should have been released already. He has been in custody now for fourty hours, I don't think the RCMP would hold him that long if they only had a CCTV of his truck cruising by a few times.
   Almost a week now since they are gone.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
quote Naz " It seems that if he had gone to the sale as everyone else just to buy something or to look , he should have been released already. He has been in custody now for fourty hours, I don't think the RCMP would hold him that long if they only had a CCTV of his truck cruising by a few times."

Very true!
Charter of Rights, etc, etc.

I doubt if DNA results of the crime scene from the home invasion have been processed at this time. However, they will keep the truck until all forensics are returned - that is - if they feel that they have probable cause to.Thanks Naz

My G0d, what a nightmare for the families.

JB
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:47:52 AM by jellybean »

Baba Donya

• View Profile
Where are the dogs???

Cell phones???

Did this man have a disposable cell phone??? Who does he hang out with -ask parents...check landline for calls.  Did he control his parents? (Parent abuse)??? If so gave him the confidence to pull this off.

If someone said he was off, but was very intelligent...he may very well be manic. Which would explain why he has a high level of intelligence. Without meds, if he is manic, I would not want to be in he same room if he has a manic episode. (Could explain why sister lives in the States.) Check the walls and door frames of the house. It is a tell tale of mental illness. Parents end up giving into his demands to keep peace.

Bottom line...what is his explanation for cruising so many times  near the Liknes's home?

Get him drunk, he will spill the beans!!!

If he is manic, he will eventually boast and brag how he outsmarted everyone. And if he has lawyered up, just wait he will call his lawyer an idiot, eventually. Manics are arrogant and bullies, yet the have a keen sense as to say what people want to hear. Very good smooth talkers...then they go in for the attack.

Just my opinion and experience with manic behaviours.

naz

• View Profile
man has been released.

naz

• View Profile
 but they still searching the propriety. I think they are waiting on forensics on the truck...He is still a person of interest..

CCF

• View Profile
No worries JB, Global always seems to have the better scoops on major stories.

Considering the POI is co-operating only "to a degree" is very telling.  If this fellow by pure coincidence had the same model and color of truck from the same era, he'd be vehemently denying any involvement and proclaiming innocence.  He's hiding something, it's just a matter of time before he spills the beans.

Baba Donya

• View Profile
I concur CCF...it won't take him long!

If they can do aerials of mass graves in Europe...why can't they do that here???

looking

• View Profile
If he's intelligent, he won't leave bodies on his own property.