Author Topic: Kathy & Alvin Liknes & Nathan O'Brien - Murdered - June 29, 2014 - Calgary, AB  (Read 99163 times)

Sap1

• View Profile
I can't say I feel sorry! Not one little iota!

Triple murderer Garland beaten in jail. Excerpt below.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3258571/douglas-garland-rushed-to-hospital-after-jailhouse-beating-sources/

Convicted triple murderer Douglas Garland was rushed to hospital in Calgary Friday night after being beaten by fellow inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre, sources confirm to Global News.

Sources say the 57-year-old was in a common area of the provincial jail when he was attacked from behind by four inmates. He received multiple blows to the head and midsection.

Concerned

• View Profile
What type of inmates are kept in the Calgary Remand Centre? Are they generally lesser crimes than he was convicted of? I wonder what the full story is since it is my impression from news reports that he was housed in the centre during the trial without incident however after conviction he is beaten. Seems there is perhaps other facts we aren't aware of that could have led up to this.

Sap1

• View Profile

Sap1

• View Profile
Garland back in jail in protective custody after threats via social media.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3259757/triple-murderer-douglas-garland-back-in-jail-under-close-watch-after-threats-made-sources/

Excerpt: (other repetitious material at link)

Convicted triple murderer Douglas Garland has been released from hospital after receiving treatment for injuries sustained in a beating by fellow inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre.

He was returned to remand by correctional officers Sunday afternoon at approximately 1:30 p.m. MT.

Global News has learned he will be in administrative segregation under close watch and will have limited contact with other inmates.  Sources said there is heightened security after threats were posted on social media.

Concerned

• View Profile
Thanks Sap1.  Makes you think that perhaps some in the Centre may have known the deceased? Worked for him? Or, maybe no one wanted to be in close proximity to someone that could do such things, especially if they were of lesser crimes. Makes me wonder if he would be safer in a prison that had criminals that were at or above his level. Would they bother? Of course, the fact that a young and innocent child was involved is tough enough to digest.

Sap1

• View Profile
Thanks Sap1.  Makes you think that perhaps some in the Centre may have known the deceased? Worked for him? Or, maybe no one wanted to be in close proximity to someone that could do such things, especially if they were of lesser crimes. Makes me wonder if he would be safer in a prison that had criminals that were at or above his level. Would they bother? Of course, the fact that a young and innocent child was involved is tough enough to digest.

Child killers don't do well in general population and it could be as you said that no one wants to be in close proximity with such a crazed person. They may have been acting out of fear. He probably will get some kind of segregation for his own safety. If there are threats on social media, I'm sure they are awful and it doesn't take long for someone to act on it.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile

Sap1

• View Profile

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
I doubt that he will ever survive - unless he is kept in isolation for the remaining of his natural life span.

It looks like Prisoners have their own  code of "ethics" and sense of justice. It does not matter where they send Garland, he will never be safe.

jb