Author Topic: Kathy & Alvin Liknes & Nathan O'Brien - Murdered - June 29, 2014 - Calgary, AB  (Read 101189 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/01/drag-marks-spotted-at-scene-where-calgary-grandparents-and-young-boy-went-missing

modified to add LE comments

Drag marks of dark liquid do not bode well.

That kijiji site is open to any thief.  This couple had a good experience with it in the past - and boom - it just takes one advert
They said too much about themselves.  They were too open about their plans to the buying public.
Tim Bosma all over again?  God I hope not!!

To the abductors
If you have them = let them go, drop them off on some highway - give them half a chance and bugger off.  You probably have enough money. Don't harm them.  Keep your hands clean of murder charges.  Let them go!!

JB

capeheart

• View Profile
Shocking news that there were drag marks. What would be the reason for taking those folks away from the area. I think it is possible they were recognized and could be someone they had seen before. There hasn't been any word on whether money was taken from their accounts or not. But I believe the people that did this had planned it. But the fact the grandchild was there, was totally not what they expected. I believe it was the fact that they possibly had money around, because they had been selling things all day and they would have quite a bit of cash in the home. I wonder was any cash found??? Were their CC used at any banks or was money withdrawn. I don't think this is going to have a good ending.  And JB, thanks for the names of the persons in California, the McStay's, who disappeared much the same way. This is incredible that people can just disappear like this. The Calgary area is surely on the top of the list for violent crimes lately. And JB, just to add, I am aware that Calgary is not on the west coast, I lived there for a couple of months and also in Victoria, B.C. So I know the geography and stated it in correctly. I just mean western Canada. I do know there is a lot of crime in B.C., and Calgary. There is a certain amount down this way too, but there seems to be some shocking events lately related to violent crimes in western Canada. We pray for good news on this one, but as each day goes by it looks grim.  I truly hope that anyone that does know anything related to these missing persons, to please call your Calgary Police or Crime Stoppers and the numbers are already listed on this thread.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:33:36 PM by capeheart »

jellybean

• View Profile
Apart from petty thievery, Canada's crimes are becoming more violent than ever before.  Crime has no boundaries.
Even when our neighbourhoods appear to be peaceful, it isn't always so. I have observed that creeps come out nite.
They need the cover of darkness to "earn their living" off of innocent hard working people.
They have no sense of shame.

It does not look good  for these people.  Unless, they  took them, not only to access more money, but to possibly hold them for ransom. Just a guess on  my part.  Let us hope that this is the case. It was announced on tv that in a few more days, a reward of $100,000 will be offered.

Today, a community centre, within the couples nhbd,  will be open from 10 am to 10 pm with the police asking those who attended the sale,. to take a picture of what they purchased and bring it to the centre so that they can deduct the items sold from the items left in the home, and possibly figure out what items the abductors had taken.  It is a long shot - but I have confidence that everyone who did buy items will certainly attend. Naturally, Citizens will want to do everything in their power to help.

Saw families members this am, making a plea - .Each minute that passes, must be excruciating for the family. It certainly is sobering to think of the whole situation.  Unbelievable.  We have had abductions in this country, but never a couple and a child that I can recall.

Video of parents plea to the abductors.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Video+Parents+missing+child+plead+return/9994839/story.html

JB

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:42:47 AM by jellybean »

SAP

I don't think the child, Nathan, was part of the plan. He just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time imo. He must have witnessed something tragic ... drag marks with a dark fluid ... doesn't sound very good. I hope all the people who attended the sale will come forward, and who knows, perhaps some might even recall something unusual or unusual people.

My sister has some recreational vehicles for sale and she refuses to advertise on Kijiji.

capeheart

• View Profile
SAP, as I earlier stated, I do not beleve they thought little Nathan was going to be at the home, when this crime was planned. There would have to be more than one person. Also, they would have to have a large vehicle, possibly a van to take these people at the same time. This is very sickening, the parents of the child must be devastated and to lose their parents as well at this time, very sad. Hopefully every tip that comes in will bring them closer to solving this case.  :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• View Profile
There have been about 100 tips from people who claim to have seen the little boy.  Question, why not the Grand Parents?

I agree with Cape that the perps might have had a van - or a very large vehicle to hold the perps and the three abductees. Also, the perps  would have to feed them, and hide them somewhere.
That concerns me - would they bother??

JB
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:33:05 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
UPDATE" http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-amber-alert-no-motive-no-suspects-police-say-1.2695310

Nathan O'Brien Amber Alert: No motive, no suspects, police say

Police say between 200 and 300 people While many questions remain, Andrus said investigators believe they are moving in the right direction.

"I would say it's less a mystery to us," he said. "Are we closer than yesterday? I would say we are."

Someone knows something: police chief

Earlier Thursday, the chief of the Calgary Police Service said he is convinced someone knows something about the disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents, who have been missing for four days.

"We are now convinced there are people out there with information," said police Chief Rick Hanson.

He didn't explain what led investigators to that conclusion, but police are looking to speak with everyone who was at the family's estate sale.

Investigators will be at the Parkhill Community Centre at 4013 Stanley Rd. S.W. Thursday until 10 p.m. MT to speak with anyone who attended the sale.

Police ask that anyone who bought something from the sale bring a photo of it to the community centre so investigators can catalogue what was purchased and what remains in the home.

Blog started for condolence messages

People looking to offer messages of support to the family can do so on a new website.

Police said messages of support have been rolling in from across the country.

The blog has been created as a dedicated place for those messages, along with information on how people can submit tips to Crime Stoppers.

Since the family of Nathan and his grandparents made a plea for their safe return, Calgary police said they have received numerous tips and that those are currently under investigation.

No idea of motive

However, four days after the three went missing there are still many unanswered questions and investigators say the longer it goes on, the more concerned they become.
■Family, police hold off on reward

"We don't know the motive behind this. Right now we have three individuals who have disappeared under suspicious circumstances," said Andrus.

"I can tell you, though, that the forensic crime scenes unit did examine some marks on the side of the house and we're in the process of determining their relevance to the investigation," he said."

"There were marks on the side of the house that went on for a distance."

At this point, the Amber Alert remains active.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Calgary Police Service at 403-266-1234 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

capeheart

• View Profile
 CBC had a very extensive report on this about an hour ago. I couldn't understand the facts the police were saying, so at the 11:00 top of the hour on CBC, I will turn the news on again and get the detailed message. I was on the phone at the time and couldn't get the whole story. Hopefully some new leads will solve this case. Prayers to all concerned. :o :o :o :o

scotsquine

• View Profile
So the police say that they are making progress with this case. They haven't allowed the family to announce that they have a large reward for information. I am thinking that this might be a kidnapping for ransom. Anyone else thinking this?

jellybean

• View Profile
Yes, I wonder about that as well.  I wondered if the $100,000 reward was a code to the abductors.

But now, I am beginning to wonder...... I have suspicions that all is not what it "appears" to be.

The police have acquired info from closed circuit within the neighbourhood.  Tips are coming in - and earlier this a.m,
the cops included the word Taxi.

It is less of a mystery to them, however, they cannot "name" them. name in quotations, according to cbc.

I have a feeling that they have their suspicions. Note: They say they have no motive. If it was kidnapping for reward, one would think that they would leave "no motive" out of the statement?? On second thoughts,  there would be a complete news black out until the transaction is completed? Not so, in this case.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Police+disappearance+less+mystery+going+into+fifth/9998599/story.html new information has helped them better understand the mystery that has attracted international attention.

But police said they have no motive and were coy about whether they have identified suspects he said. When pressed on

JB
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:26:27 AM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
According to Calgary Sun Media (tweet by Jon Wells of Sun)  A truck from the home was towed away.

Open link to see truck being towed.    https://twitter.com/SUNjimwells/status/484822322390380544/photo/1

Not to be confused with - http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/04/police-looking-for-truck-in-missing-trio-case.

Sorry, I can't post pictures.  Debbiec - help?

Police looking for truck in Calgary missing trio case  0

By Bill Kaufmann   ,Calgary Sun 
First posted:  Friday, July 04, 2014 11:19 AM MDT  | Updated:  Friday, July 04, 2014 11:48 AM MDT 

Missing persons case green truck

Police looking for a late 80s or early 90s, Ford 150, green in colour and appears to be kept in very good condition.

City police are seeking the driver of a pickup truck they believe might have information on the disappearance of a five-year-old boy and his grandparents.

They say the green, late 1980s or early 1990s Ford 150 was seen in the area of 38a Ave. SW at the time the three people were taken from their home late Sunday or early Monday.

JB
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:38:34 PM by jellybean »

Baba Donya

• View Profile
Hi Everyone!

I think the police need to really check the bathrooms! These perps may have asked to go to the bathroom, to set up their crime.

...or the basement, hid in the basement, until everyone was getting ready for bed. Leaving the Liknes's vulnerable. The Liknes's may not have checked their whole house, for stray buyers...leaving them  as easy targets.

Whoever took them, knew they had a grandson. May have even tried to get really friendly during the day...then scoped out the location. They may have been there both days...faking that they were humming and hawing over some item.

They took the boy because they knew he would recognize them.

I pray that they are ALL found alive. 🙏

The first 48 hours, are so precious! I pray that the Calgary Police are working around the clock, and other seasoned officers from other jurisdictions! Don't make the mistakes that were made at my Auntie's murder investigation! Time is of the essence!

Baba Donya

• View Profile
Plus...it is not that hard to find that truck.

Security officers should check all mall parking lots! ...after dark or closing!

...not just in Calgary...Airdrue, Cochrane, Olds, Canmore, Taber, Brooks, Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House

Baba Donya

• View Profile
Put the daughter under hypnosis!