Author Topic: Native Boys Go Missing in Thunder Bay, Ontario | Many over the years  (Read 5858 times)

Concerned

• View Profile

Concerned

• View Profile
This is just too sad to comprehend. Many Native Canadian boys are going missing in Thunder Bay area. Here are a few:

March 5, 2014 - Tyler Lawson, 14, 170 cm tall and weighs 60 kg. Tyler has a fair complexion, light brown shaggy hair and brown eyes.
February 7, 2011 (missing) - Jordan Wabasse, 15, October 26, 2009 (last seen) - Kyle Morrisseau, 17, Grandson of the famous native artist Norval Morrisseau and member of Keewaywin First Nation. His body was found in the McIntyre on Nov. 10, 2009.
April 1, 2008 (Last seen), Adrian Spade, 22, missing Mishkeegogamang man, went missing in Thunder Bay April 1 when he last seen at the West Hotel. Body found April 15  by workers in the area of the old Jackknife Bridge near Syndicate Avenue, near Riverside Grain Terminal.
November 1, 2007 (found deceased) - Reggie Bushie, 15, - drowned. The Grade 9 student was found in the McIntyre River seven days after he was last seen alive on the river bank. He was a community member of the Poplar Hill First Nation.
January 13, 2007 (died on) - Robyn Harper, 18,Keewaywin First Nation girl asphyxiated. She was only at the school for three days. Keewaywin is 300 km northwest of Sioux Lookout.
November 11, 2006 (found deceased) - Paul Panacheese, (?), Came from the Mishkeegogamang First Nation, 350 km northwest of Thunder Bay. Found dead in the McIntyre River floodway on November 11, 2006.
September 26, 2005 (found deceased) - Curran Strang, 18, from Pikangikum First Nation was found dead in the McIntyre River Floodway on September 26, 2005 after a five day search.
November 11, 2000 (died on) - Jethro Anderson, 15
Seven native teens dead or missing while away at school

Other Story:
- http://www.aboriginallegal.ca/inquests.php
- Seven studentdeaths far too many: Kakegamic, visit http://www.wawataynews.ca/archive/all/2011/5/26/seven-student-deaths-far-too-many-kakegamic_21473
- Broad inquest into deaths of seven native teens a step closer, visi http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2012/05/23/broad_inquest_into_deaths_of_seven_native_teens_a_step_closer.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:00:15 AM by Concerned »

SAP

The majority of these young teens had to live hundreds of miles away from home in orfer to achieve higher education and they lived in boarding housing where there really is no mother or father figure, only supervisors it would seem. I believe it would be a huge shock for kids these ages to be away from their loved ones for so much of the year and then to be culled out by whom? Is there a serial killer on the loose?
I know at that age I definitely would have been devastated to have to leave all that is familiar to me to live in a strange place. I know I would have been so homesick.
With all the money the Canadian government puts into other countries, what are they missing? Charity should begin at home. Even if the prospect of building higher education schools in the remote communities isn't a good financial solution, what would be wrong with having a large learning centre that offers distance education and has some educators who are teachers of various levels?  That wouldn't be near as expensive as building several highschools in various locations and staffing them. Where I live in Ab there is a distance learning school, with the student living in his own home but taking courses through the school and very connected to teachers at the school by Internet. The cost is minimal. In a small town I lived, there was a programn through the school that children could get discounts on computer systems through the school and stay connected to teachers. What I don't know about the very northern communities in Ontario is the assessibility of communication systems or whether that is an option so far north. The way I see it is once the systems were established and the initial costs dealt with, it would be cheaper to operate than the costs of schooling and boarding these teens in a community that is not familiar to them.

It is so sad all the way around for everyone ... the parents, the community and the children. The children who haven't yet met harsh fates should be interviewed as to how they feel being so far from their families for most of the year. Perhaps that will be a real eye opener.
I hope solutions are found fast.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Tyler - A runaway?

" Tyler was carrying a green suitcase when he left home"

Others? drowning?

Robyn Harper -  Asphyxiation - Strangled?

Robyn is the one that I am wondering about.

This is very tragic.  The loss of these young people (the numbers are staggering).  Something is dreadfully wrong here.

JB.