Author Topic: Re: Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 2  (Read 74747 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 2
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »
Chin Lake condition/weather in April/1981

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »
... cont.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2016, 11:01:38 AM »
You did a  lot of homework Lost. :)

It's hard to imagine that back in 1981 the winters were colder than recent years. So the ice would have been solid that year in April. If the perp cut a hole, he went to a lot of trouble to hide his heinous deed. Someone who goes fishing a lot would have the equipment for sure.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
I do like re-reading this part 2 thread because it is such a good summary of events in this case.... and also makes one think twice about conclusions we reached and agreed on before.  Once we conclude "it must have been that... " then it is easy to just form a mind-set about a detail, and carry that mind-set forward - which in itself, can be misleading. 
For example:  We formed the mind-set that this perp. either/or  - paid attention to detail / and was possibly stingy because he went through, or counted, his change after buying the case of beer at the Standard Hotel.  Now I think he was making sure there was "a quarter" included in his change, because he intended to use the pay phone.  He was from out-of-town and needed to touch base elsewhere - so tended to hoard quarters.  So were all the pay phones in Standard and surrounding area the same?  As I recall my frequenting-pay-phone years; some required you to dial the number and wait for the operator to instruct you to deposit the money (according to the distance you were calling / price of the call) ... while other phones, you could just drop in the quarter and get a dial tone - enabling dialing your number direct ..... a quarter for local calls!.... if long distance, the operator would interrupt and tell you the cost of the call and what change to deposit - at this point, if you were pay-phone savvy, you would push the button that gives you back your quarter ... and then you deposit that quarter again as part of the change the operator dictates.....

(i know this has been discussed before.)  So were there both types of phones in these small towns and villages in 1981?  Sometimes pay phones were left in place for years without being updated or changed, while others (like in the phone booths) were changed regularly.  ... just another point to ponder!  But I do believe, this guy was from a neighboring town.... he had access to facilities in Husser;  that is why he went there; that is why he had Kelly for two hours before making that call, in which she was heard screaming.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:19:52 AM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »
I also don't think this perp. would have been considered a stranger by locals being questioned by police at the time.  I think possibly:

- he was a regular around the community because he was back and forth on a regular basis.
- he frequented the area year round pursuing his lake fishing hobby;
- he took vehicles into near-by Husser for regular maintenance at the same place all the time;
- he may have frequented the local rinks and had a fixation on figure skaters (as skating and rinks were a big thing everyone was involved in at his neighboring home town);  I believed he could not go any great number of days without having his hands on young women/girls - and was heavily engaged in such within the families in which he was involved - but had not yet been exposed for it, due to his charismatic, women controlling ability and his "prominent-family status" that kept his young victim/s and other women stifled - as was the ongoing, keep your mouth shut; nobody will believe you! situation in families and in rural towns especially. (and children never dreamed of bringing up such horrifying matters, that should not be in their relm of understanding... much less using the vocabulary necessary to tell of what was happening to them ... nor the mature courage required to address adults about it.
- he constantly wore a blue windbreaker with the company logo on it. (but was just considered a regular guy "doing business" in town all the time)
- he probably returned home Easter Saturday (neighboring town) and returned after the Easter holidays (which is why he never contacted Kelly for 4 days after he was given her contact information.)
- he also drove the late model, light colored, company car.
- he mainly drove the company trucks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:27:54 AM by lostlinganer »

CCF

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
I also don't think this perp. would have been considered a stranger by locals being questioned by police at the time.  I think possibly:

- he was a regular around the community because he was back and forth on a regular basis.
- he frequented the area year round pursuing his lake fishing hobby;
- he took vehicles into near-by Husser for regular maintenance at the same place all the time;
- he may have frequented the local rinks and had a fixation on figure skaters (as skating and rinks were a big thing everyone was involved in at his neighboring home town);  I believed he could not go any great number of days without having his hands on young women/girls - and was heavily engaged in such within the families in which he was involved - but had not yet been exposed for it;
- he constantly wore a blue windbreaker with the company logo on it. (but was just considered a regular guy "doing business" in town all the time)
- he probably returned home Easter Saturday (neighboring town) and returned after the Easter holidays (which is why he never contacted Kelly for 4 days after he was given her contact information.)
- he also drove the late model, light colored, company car.
- he mainly drove the company trucks.

Here's a suggestion I haven't seen put forth on this case as of yet:

I wonder who operated the zamboni or any other rink attendant who worked at the Strathmore arena at that time and if he bore any resemblance to the person in the sketch (plus frequented the Chin Lakes area to fish). He'd have a reason to be at the rink and to hang around while the figure skaters were on ice and find out who was who/put names to the faces so to speak.  I don't recall if I ever seen if Kelly and the other girl were members of the Standard FS club or Strathmore FS club as it is only a 30 minute drive between the two.  One thing that did not seem right to me was the RCMP's belief the perp saw the original target's photo in the paper.  What if that was total coincidence because if he was living out of a hotel/motel or frequented the area if he was not from there, someone would recognize the description of the car who operated one of those businesses.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
It is said that RCMP have a few doz. file boxes full of information .... well, it seems to me, if they'd talked to people in and around standard in the beginning, the right questions were not even asked.  It appears that the information must have accumulated due to tips and suggestions "coming in to them". ... and that is what/all they based their work on. ... what came in when they asked the public for information! 

I doubt very much that they questioned the right people as to this late model car, and/or clothing etc. belong to the killer.  The kind of information they needed was never brought forward to them until 2 years ago.  ... and now, it is stagnant;  nobody mandated to investigate!  ... a loaded bomb that nobody has the mandate to light!

Post 47 in another case (Ontario Karen Caughlin, 14years old, March 1974) pretty much applies to this case and tells it like it is.  In my opinion, if sleuths like us had what the police have at their disposal, maybe this guy would be behind bars now for sure.  ... but that is only because we want to do the job; we want justice for Kelly Cook and others.  The authorities want to do their days work and get their days pay.... no particular desire to solve any case more than any other .... since there are thousands to choose from.  Easiest and least complicated first!   Please read post 47 on Karen's thread. http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=871.0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:31:08 AM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2016, 09:10:11 PM »
Another point about this perp:
After Kelly's death, he never even changed his habits of coming into Standard and doing his business etc. .... just continued on as usual.... thus; was not even looked at because of this.  The authorities were looking for a stranger who "hit and ran".  This guy didn't.  He blended right into the two communities of Standard and Husser .... never missed a beat !  If he had backed off after the murder, it may have struck people as odd, but he didn't;  he just kept up his usual charade of a regular guy doing business .... with no reason to stay away after the murder.  He wasn't stupid;  he must have thought this through.

lola77

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
He was a total sociopath, and after he murdered Kelly, he was likely to continue killing, unless he ended up in jail or died.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
I had pondered the idea that (since the Cook family are no longer hounding them) LE may have come to the same conclusion as "our tipster/s)" - and in order to save time and money .... and "face" ... and not ruin the lives of prominent family members of Kelly's killer,  it is possible RCMP talked it over and decided that due to this particular suspect, now claiming Alzheimers .... proceeding would be costly with man hours .... maybe even fruitless when it hits the courtroom .... so just keep the tipster/s at bay until Mr. Killer becomes institutionalized.  Howerever; Mr. Killer is not far gone (probably only early Alzheimers - garnering pity from the few family members who still need him, or still fear him)  ergo; I'd guess he is either on his way to Mexico (or other) - as soon as his parole following jail for other charges (against young women/girls) has lapsed.  I believe he has the ways and means of buying this extra time for a few more months - then he will be "out of harms way".  IMO  He is not without "influence".  ;)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »
Is he up for further charges for the same type of crime?

I am hoping that the RCMP are investigating this tip, but cannot say anything.
I might be a dreamer on that point.
His medical condition should not get in the way of justice.  Even those who are terribly mentally ill have been brought to justice for their crimes.

Regarding some of  his family members, who suffered abuse from him and are protecting him.
sadly, this is very common.

No way can he obtain a passport, nor visa, etc to leave our country Lost.
He has a criminal record, and will not be able to board a plane, train, nor automobile.
All talk on his part.  Like it or not ---- he is stuck - stuck in the boonies.

In addition, as his Alzheimer's progresses, his family will be tired of caring for him as his needs rapidly intensify -

Facilities will be reluctant to take him in because of his past.   No facility is obligated to take anyone in - it is their choice of whom they care for and they have long waiting lists.
I truly feel sorry for his family.
JB

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:01:07 PM by jellybean »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
JB, I have to speculate this suspect is laying low and keeping his nose clean until his parole is up, in order to avoid a parole officer turning attention to him for not reporting (disappearing).  ... thus, setting off a "parolee at large" alarm"  ... which in turn might have his face on a screen at border crossings in every state.  But if he just "scoots across" like all the newest refugees entering Canada from US, through easily crossed areas such as southern Manitoba for example - then he can just hop in a waiting car on the other side. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:28:31 AM by lostlinganer »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
I hope it is all talk on his part.  I do not think he is Mexican nor does he speak Spanish?
Just a question that I have.

If a man does not have all of his faculties, I wish him luck down there.

JB

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
JB; the man I refer to has a French name ... a prominent one at that... actually streets named after his prominent forefather/s I expect.  (or else that is coincidence) I did notice major use of the name on public roads around that area.

I am modifying this post because I was informed today that the man those of us suspect (behind the scenes) is not at all French.  It seems that his father adopted the French name in Quebec years before.  This suspect's father was actually Italian descent and his mother was Metis.  The father of this suspect was also somewhat of a "hero" in the area, as he had quite the military standing, as well as big in community involvement.  I can see now, how/why this man was never even approached and questioned after Kelly's murder .... even though he was a regular doing trucking business in and out of the surrounding area.  His father's reputation would put him "above reproach" in the area.  .... even though he was an exact for the composite image.  You just don't go against military figures and big time business owners in any small town!  People worship these types; and there are jobs and "position" to consider.  ... and after all!  Kelly Cook was just a "nobody" in comparison!
The fact that this guy was the image of the suspect was probably just considered a big coincidence or big mistake around Husser and Standard (as well as Brooks) at the time.  I received word today, from a relative of this guy, that they again, recently, contacted the lead investigator in Kelly's case (Airdrie RCMP) ... I think I always spell that place wrong~  and this investigator (name of Joanne I believe) didn't even respond to their query as to why the suspect hasn't even been investigated yet.... even though there is an over-whelming amount of fact given RCMP by members of this man's family implicating him as a very possible suspect. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:52:06 PM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
bumping up.... also For The Regulars Here (lounge)   http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=7976.msg123596;topicseen#msg123596

For the regulars who have pursued this all along (including AaronP who has pursued this case only all these years) check your messages.  I have sent you the details on this suspect's father ... and this is just the tip of the iceberg on how much influence this man had.

I, for one, have complained to the Commission for Airdrie RCMP taking all the information, doing the interviews, then sweeping it under the table with no reply to inquireis and they did no investigation; the family would know if they did.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:37:53 PM by lostlinganer »