Author Topic: Re: Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 2  (Read 58123 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile

Kelly Cook - Part #1 can be found at:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=53.0

Kelly's thread has become very long and hard to navigate. In light of that, we have started a second thread. Please continue here....

Please keep in mind

It's clear that not all who post on this thread are/will be of the same opinion. That's to be expected, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. As members of this forum each of us is entitled to respectfully voice our own thoughts and opinions. That having been said, we have to accept that others are entitled the same. That's the way it is on any given thread. This one is no different. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree and move on.

**as a side note: I've been told a few times by different members that they no longer attempt to post on this thread due to the fact that they are aware of the scrutiny and criticism that they feel they will be subjecting themselves to. IMO that is unacceptable.  Every effort and contribution is valued.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:24:37 PM by debbiec »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
So the composite sketch came from 2 people being hypnotized?  I am not joking when I say - no wonder it could be anyone.
It is very poor indeed. 

Questions that I would ask the police.

Why not ask for a composite sketch from the bar man, when the poi bought the case of beer?

I mean the bar man had a lot to report about him.  His attitude for one - surely he saw his face when he gave him the case and took his money? There were enough people who saw him not?

Example - the people he reportedly played pool with (unless that is pure gossip)

Why not a composite sketch from the waitress - unless that is poor gossip.

Why not the funeral home in Calgary, on the chance that it may be the same man?

I am not arguing but asking a very common sense question as to why the police did not do this??
Why take the word of two men who went under hypnosis?
Why go to those lengths?

Don't you feel that this is a little strange, in view of the above?

As to three girls being asked not two, taking into account the reported waitress scenario..... waitress said that she could not - gave him another number
man goes to bar and calls girl number two who could not and gave him Kelly's number. Bartender reported he used the phone enquiring about a baby sitter, called one and she couldn't, gave another number, and he asked if she had another phone number, and she gave him another.  She gave him a total of two. So whatever way you look at it, waitress or not, he had three phone numbers. 

But calling up a Principal and demanding phone number of girl (preferred by poi)  is down right brazen.  I suppose this came up after the fact.  One would think the Principal would have raised the alarm at least to the parents.  Yet nothing?? He said nothing to her parents or to the girl??
Hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.  The Principal story came out in 2005 - was it not brought up before? If not, I wonder why? Was this kept in police files?

Gosh, by accounts,  he hung around Standard long enough, one would think someone would know something about him. He was demanding, unlikeable, down right ugly.  Surely he said something about himself to someone in Standard. There is some  physical description of him, but not of much else.
One thing, he is untrusting and cheap (counted his change from the bartender)  :)

And yes newspaper accounts are an excellent source, I am not discounting it - as long as the reporter verifies the information whenever possible. They too can be entrapped in misinformation just like anyone else.

I don't really have any theories - don't need to - as there are many of them.

It fascinates me as to eye witness accounts -.  He wore his glasses on top of his head. No description of his clothing, or footwear. So he probably dressed just like the locals. One thing they all agree upon is that he had an abrupt manner, and had a demanding demeanor. Very focused on achieving his goal, obtaining a" babysitter".
Yet no one knew anything about the man.  Unbelievable.

WOW!!

JB

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:38:54 PM by jellybean »

SAP

"Quote from: Dub on April 12, 2009, 02:07:43 AM
I was born and raised in Standard and have checked in on this thread multiple times through out the last year so I figured i'd ought to post.

Now the rumour around Standard has always been that the RCMP know who it is, and that this person hailed from around the Taber area but they never had enough evidence to convict him of this. Nobody local from my understanding was ever a POS in this case."

I am assuming that Dub meant POI and not POS.

At any rate, if the POI did it once, he has done it again somewhere. They just don't seek out one victim and stop. Aren't these young lives important enough to pull a Mr. Big sting if they would know who the perp really is? After all they pull Mr. Big stings to set up people when police have failed so badly they need to save face. (Roszko sting).
Now I'm not usually anti RCMP but there are times where they cover their own back sides before protecting the public which they are supposed to be doing.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
from Sap:
Lost - could you try really hard and dig that up?

and before Sap:  from myself:
For what is is worth, I came across an article a few months ago that bothered me... It was an article about either Mr. Cook or else a "Bill Christensen" being directly responsible for something getting closed down.  I have to try and drag it out of my old memory, but I think it may have been that one of those two were directly responsible for the "first ever closure of a chain business in that area.  It was either an A&W or a Tim Hortons or a MacDonald .... one of those franchise was closed abruptly in 1981 or so because of either Mr. Cook or Bill Christensen.  Seems both were very influential people in the area (if memory half serves me right).  I know that when I read it, I was researching what "Bill Christensen/s" had enough clout in that area to garner a "big revenge" from some bold pushy guy.  Food for thought indeed.  Funny thing is that I felt years ago that someone was paying back Mr. Cook for something... and that somehow that person was keen enough to know somehow (that's a stretch ..I know) that he could get Kelly to agree to babysit.  Maybe even, overheard someone, somewhere, mention that if the blonde figure skater wouldn't baby sit, that Kelly probably would.  I mean that is the kind of thing you could pick up while sitting in a restaurant or standing in line at a grocery store or something.... even while around someone discussing going out and getting a baby sitter.  In a small town, that kind of info. just floats around.  ...as I said... food for thought.  This killer may just have been bold enough, mad enough, and lucky enough to have it work out that way... an opportunity for revenge, that is! :-\   ...what I mean is that Mr. Cook may have had a big enemy or else, big business tycoon "Bill Christensen" had one coming to him.... so kill a local girl and very boldly and intently use the name of the person you want to "get back at"... ...it appears it didn't work if that was the case.

I think it was just weeks after New Years... I was digging and digging about the Bill Christensen aspect;  I was in my favorite.... and useful source of information when I came across that article about "a first-ever- closure of one of those franchise I mentioned above..... and how it was a result of a decision or "whatever" by either a "Bill Christensen" or "? Cook" .... and at the time of my researching, I had included Mr. Cook's actual name in the search.  Believe me, I was stunned to think of the coincidence there;  but then I managed to content myself with the fact that it had to be because of the fact that there were so many of the same name there at the time.  I remember the Christensen man being a powerful executive type involved with big business.  ...and I remember the Cook man having the same name as Kelly's father. 

I spent hours last evening trying to find that article again, however, I'm probably not getting the right combination of search words together.  So if any of you would be interested in trying, here is where I found that article.... http://news.google.com/newspapers     and I will keep digging for it again Sap.

D1

• View Profile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:23:09 PM by D1 »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
Perhaps Standard is a town like where I grew up near... that being a clique town, where extended family/s with the same last name rule the rooste... sometimes a big shot newcomer is not welcome  :-\  .. and after a time, becomes victim to some nut in a coincidental manner.  I know in the town of New Waterford, where we believe my nephew was put to death by a "police choke hold", there are more people than not, who believe my nephew should not have been out partying with a bunch of drunk teens that night.... then he might still be alive.  You don't go against what happens as a result of messing with powerful people.  When townsfolk realize a "nobody" became victim of  powerful people "doing their thing", the majority doesn't even question or express such.  It is just left unsolved, unaddressed, unspoken, by the majority.  That is how you show you are worthy of acceptance among cliques in a town... by keeping out of it and, thereby showing/suggesting others do the same.  Perhaps Mr. Cook was a very capable man in his field and/or job.  ...thus; he might not have been all that accepted... maybe the locals didn't hold kindly to him holding a job or position that otherwise might have went to a "clique" ... just grasping straws here.. no offense or disrespect meant.  Also; I noticed the "Cook" name had some deep, old roots in the area... so maybe Mr. Cook was a "roots" relative who ended up in Montreal.  As I said, I'm not meaning to go off in a direction of disrespect, but we know little or nothing of Mr. Cook's past.... but we do know the name "Christensen" is one of the most formidable names around that province and beyond it.   ... all food for thought.  And why not think in that direction? .... sticking to facts has been decades of dead end... maybe even manipulated to be that way.  There is something very fishy about the whole thing... otherwise, there is something very inept about the whole thing!  imo!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:15:44 AM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
I recall somebody early on in this thread, while we were discussing why/how this killer us came up with the name Christensen, someone came up with the uncanny fact that a sign on the highway to or near Husser, mentioned the name.  To think that person may have viewed that sign prior to his dealings with Kelly is not far fetched when you consider that is where the strange "phone call for help.. or from Kelly or her obductor" came from.  You will see that sign and get a feeling for the Husser area here.  http://nre.concordia.ca/Photo_Gallery/25_Hussar.htm 

jobo

• View Profile
Yes lostlinganer, that was me that came across the sign with the Christensen name on it.   That is important, easy for a perp to pick up on the name being a common one if it's on one of the town signs.
Another really important clue in this murder, in my opinion, is the "stranger" that tried to view Kelly's body in the Calgary funeral home (before it was sent back to Standard for the funeral).  How did the perp know which funeral home Kelly was in unless it was in the papers maybe?

I watched a crime show the other night where the psychologist said many perps like to go to the funeral of their victim....like to see what they did. (sick).

Interesting though D1, that Arnold denies going to the funeral home.

D1

• View Profile
Interesting indeed and even more so when you add in that Arnold admitted to knowing that Kelly was at that funeral home. He claimed to have heard it from a man employed as security for the carnival company whom he had caught a ride with to Calgary. That man had Police connections. On top of that Arnold claimed that "people" thought he was the person who had gone into the funeral home. He didn't say who those people were. There was a clothing description of the funeral home poi and the description of a car used in the getaway from the funeral home incident on tv at the time. No doubt someone could have put two and two together back then. Someone had lent him that car or he stole it from somewhere. 

The more I thought about all that and began to relate it to what I had heard on the tv news at the time, (the poi from the funeral home was much younger than what the Police were saying) the more I began to realize this was something that no one wanted known. Why? Where it may lead may be the exact information that is required to solve Kelly's murder imo.. Unfortunately it also calls into question Police procedure and chain of command in the decision making process at the time. The same as was found in all other cases involving T. Arnold. And so it ends..   

lostlinganer

• View Profile
I have always wondered about one very important thing:  Did police, in those days/weeks after Kelly's disappearance, present mugshots of already known felons-abductors/sex offenders to the witnesses?  if they did, I'm sure their compilation would be sparse since the more likely suspects came to light long after the fact.  Therefore, did the police continue to call attention to other such felons as they came to light in the future... after Kelly's case reached a dead end?  If they didn't, the animal may have slipped through the cracks to offend again.  It bugged me about the guy from the states who used cinder blocks to drown his "still breathing" victims.... who were discovered afterwards to have died of asphyxiation.  It seems there were many killers lurking in Alberta and other prairie towns from Manitoba to BC.  Any one of them could have lingered around the area for a few weeks... either through a temp job (maybe even quit a job and made a run for it after killing poor little Kelly) .... or while looking for work.  Then too, I wonder if police checked out what known felons were on the loose in western Canada and the northern states at that time.  It has been expressed over and over how hard police worked on this case for a very long time, but we have no way of knowing in what manner they worked on it, or how far they grasped for clues.  It just seems that they kept their investigation around Standard and surrounding towns.  Any notice or mention of interest in felons from beyond that seemed to come from "awake" officials in other provinces or states.  jmo!   I keep going back to Oba Chandler because of the uncanny MO he used... and the fact that he had family who repeatedly sent him thousands of dollars whenever he was in a tight spot.... and if I recall, his father was a big shot or something (would have to look that up again) but it wouldn't be the first time the authorities "made an official note" of an animal like Chandler being behind bars in another province when it is physically possible they were out roaming..... I mean Chandler is a very obvious perp. to look at for this murder.... as are a few others.  http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=53.1020
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:36:20 PM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
just take a look at how much that Bill Christensen guy got around.... yet, he doesn't get considered for Kelly's disappearance because it is believed he was in jail in Montreal.  He committed a crime in Washington.... and other states not that far a jump from Canada... especially with pocket money from family. http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/C/CHRISTENSON_william_dean.php

lostlinganer

• View Profile
I have to say Sap, that whole story about Bill Christensen sure describes the character of the perp. who took Kelly.  Christensen had so much arrogance and "back up from his father through CIA and other too much to imagine", he could have gotten away with anything.  Seems the only thing daddy couldn't keep the light off him for was beating his young wife so bad.  That was probably just too public and too neighborhood involved to cover up, plus friends of this cold hearted Christensen would have felt sorry for the young woman, as did the poster telling the story.  Christensen certainly was bold enough and untouchable enough to use his real name in Standard (if it was him).  He would have even gotten a kick out of seeing his own name so much a part of that area.... on signs, in newspapers etc., because the name was also that of a powerful businessman with nationwide ventures and great control in the oil industry etc. in Alberta (mainly Husky oil) I think!  ..and Christensen did like to plan his moves... and also break into cars.

I wonder Sap, if it is possible for one of us to reach that guy on the link you sent... and/or his friends-in-common with Christensen.... in order to send them the composite photo of the suspect in Kelly's case.  I am up to my ears still digging trying to find the article about the franchise closure I referred to early on.. still no luck with that!  In addition to that, I donate a few hours each morning and each night to the Tomnod search;  I find that makes it bearable to cope with the possible loss of so many in that aircraft disappearance.  (not meaning to digress, but I have tagged several airplanes and dozens of ships, and other objects... over 300 in total since the search started... so my old eyes are strained to say the least).... but I do believe that Bill Christensen being jailed in Montreal (if that is fact, and not paperwork orchestrated by his father) is very viable suspect in Kelly's case.  Do you feel you could reach that guy who knew him so well?  ... or one of the others?  I do know that they told their story on that site back in March of 2008... so Lord only knows if any of them are still using that site .... but no harm in joining it to drop that suspect pic on that thread and ask for their opinion on the possibility of Christensen being in Alberta at the time, and not in Montreal.  I just find it too much of a coincidence that the animal gets locked up in another Canadian city right around the time he could be suspect.  Please consider trying to take that further Sap.  Thanks (modified to correct grammar)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:55:22 AM by lostlinganer »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
http://coolopolis.blogspot.ca/2012/02/quiz-this-was-scene-of-most-disgusting.html

There is a picture of  him, the one on the left. Here he is referred to as Richard Dean Christensen.
Often called himself Bill Owen.
Similar to sketch from Standard?? Sorry, can't post his picture. Debbie, SAP, or Lost??? help! lol

Jb
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:04:54 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 2
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »
http://coolopolis.blogspot.ca/2012/02/quiz-this-was-scene-of-most-disgusting.html

There is a picture of  him, the one on the left. Here he is referred to as Richard Dean Christensen.
Often called himself Bill Owen.
Similar to sketch from Standard?? Sorry, can't post his picture. Debbie, SAP, or Lost??? help! lol

Jb

lostlinganer

• View Profile
Re: Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 2
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 09:40:54 PM »
... for comparison, here is my doctored up version of the Bill Christensen/Owen that JB has brought up ... next to the suspect sketch:

....he has the exact nose as the suspect... I changed his hair and glasses and gave him sideburns to show how he would look with them.  I could have gotten the "hair line more accurate'.  ...just take a close look at the original suspect's hair line (the right side of his forehead.. left side of his forehead in the "image")  notice the hair root area/hair density comes forward more than on the other side of his forehead.  I have that same hairline... as do so many with thick hair... and I have always parted/combed my hair into that direction - meaning "right part".... this suspect is depicted with a "left part".   You see the exact same thing in the actual mugshot of Christensen.  I find that spooky to say the least.  What are the chances of an ambiguous sketch (which most of these composites are) reflecting that physical characteristic?... uncanny... like gives me the shivers!   

the original attachments I had put here no longer appear in the link since the site changed last year;  so here is what I still have in my own files.... albeit, there are other pics and a lot written about him on other murder sites... the second picture was taken years after Kelly's murder .. while Christensen was in jail for other crimes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:39:42 AM by lostlinganer »