Author Topic: Re: Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 2  (Read 75155 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 2
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
how about the abductor had keys or access to a garage where he regularly had work done on his truck/s!  ... a place where he could drop in anytime he was on the go boozing or carousing, or while his trucks were being worked on.  ... and he was toying with Kelly behind locked doors, until he got enough beer in him to do his deed (that kind are usually cowards even though they act tough)  ... and with each beer, he became more distracted, so Kelly waited her chance to "bolt" and did .... maybe while he opened a door to take a leak (got to think as if it were me) ...  or maybe he even passed out for a bit and she seized the opportunity, but he snapped out of it and ran after her????

or maybe Kelly got loose from the car when he slowed down to make a turn, then ran anywhere she could, but he knew where she would end up... so he drove until he caught up to her???? Only she and he know for sure! 

that would account for the time lapse between her being picked up at home, and the phone call .... possibly~

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2018, 11:23:23 PM »
Cpl. Johnson's statement is typical and ambiguous imo.   and exactly when did he state that jb?... maybe right after she was found, before an autopsy?  Another statement says she was asphyxiated.  ... and there is no such thing as no obvious cause of death unless the statement was give prior to the coroner's work?  .... and I've always wondered about the "advanced state of decomposition".  Could that have been because she was stashed in a warm place for some time before being dumped? The majority of that time she was missing, if it was frigged water - did it heat up that much, that quickly?   Bless her innocent little heart;  it is heart wrenching to be thinking all these things...

- but I'm thinking back to when Penny Warner went missing off Wasaga Beach and wasn't found for a few years.  ... and statements claimed it was amazing how "intact" she was considering the seasons and rough currents...  Then again (digressing here;  me being me and with so little faith in the system, I always felt that Penny was stashed in very cold storage for a few years, until the case of her missing went cold.)  I never felt Penny recklessly slipped into the water behind her house and ended up so far away.   ::)

from a previous page link:
The body was so badly deteriorated that the Calgary medical examination office was unable to determine how, or when, Kelly Cook died. Later, the press indicated they received reports that Kelly died of asphyxiation but she was not sexually assaulted, leaving investigators baffled as to the motive of her slaying.

**edited to fix title
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:30:21 PM by lostlinganer »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »
Here's hoping that the gathering today at the Cook family's church jogs some memories.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
On April 22, 1981, at 8:20 A.M., Kelly received a phone call from a man identifying himself as Bill CHRISTENSEN. The caller asked if she would babysit that evening. Kelly agreed and arrangements were made for the caller to pick up Kelly at her residence.

At 8:30 P.M., 12 hours later,a full-sized North American car pulled up in front of the COOK?s residence. The unidentified male and Kelly were last seen departing the residence. Kelly was not seen alive again. Her body was discovered in the Chin Lake Reservoir (east of Lethbridge, Alberta) on June 28, 1981.

Actually, the fact that this guy phoned just before 8:30 in the morning could point to the fact that regular business are not open until 9;  but somebody who is not on the clock for an employer - makes his own schedule to suit himself, might not respect the 9 am to 5 pm "courtesy".  Or... was he trying to catch Kelly before she left for school?  Or... wouldn't that be Easter break for the schools? 

Anybody living in Standard and surrounding areas will recall that week vividly (just as I recall that I was stepping onto the school bus the day it was announced that JFK had just been assassinated);  oddly enough, such traumatic events can leave not just moments, but hours or days imprinted on a person's memory immediately after hearing such impacting news.  So where were you that April 22, 1981?  Were you on Easter Holidays?  By the way, it was also the full moon for April.         https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1981

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
Remember when geographical profiling was dismissed by west coast police forces during the Pickton days? Things have advanced. Canada as a nation needs this kind of database for finding serial murderers:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-tuesday-march-6-2018-1.4563844/data-based-investigation-could-have-led-to-bruce-mcarthur-s-arrest-much-sooner-says-expert-1.4564574

Thinking back to unsolved cold cases, like the victims of the bootlace killer in the Montreal area during the 1970s, and other unsolved Canadian murders, like Sonia Varaschin and Audrey Gleave. It's foolish to dismiss the possibility of serial murderers in our country, and even more foolish for individual and sometimes very small police forces to solve serial murders. They lack the funds, resources and manpower. The time is now to cooperate nationwide. It's time for all police forces in this country to share information, including crime scene DNA (which contrary to popular belief is still not being done by all police forces). Current events in the Gay Village in Toronto should serve as a warning. Old-fashioned police work simply isn't enough to find serial murderers who move all over the country and continent.

Thinking of Kelly Cook, Sonia Varaschin, Audrey Gleave and Theresa Allore, among many others, including the MMIW.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »
makes sense wellwell;  Common sense suggests police files at all levels of government from municipal to provincial to national, would serve an overall better purpose if shared for the purpose of zeroing in on crime.  These people we pay to protect and serve all seem to drift toward control and self service at all levels of government.  Why:  because KNOWLEDGE (FACTS) IS POWER AND POWER IS PRESTIGE AND PROFIT.  IMO~   i'LL WAGER HALF OF THE GUILTY WHO SLIP THROUGH THE CRACKS  DO SO DUE TO DETECTIVES, POLITICIANS, AND PUBLIC OFFICIALS WHO HIDE AND/OR CONTROL DOCUMENTS AND TESTS, THAT WERE PAID FOR BY US - THE PUBLIC~
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:19:29 PM by lostlinganer »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »
I was on the Shelly-Ann Bacsu page because of an article in today's Calgary Herald. The article mentioned 147 boxes of case file work, in addition to evidence that is stored elsewhere. The boxes were moved from the Hinton detachment to the cold case investigation office.

It occurred to me that I've never read about how many boxes of paperwork exist in Kelly's case. Here we have two teenagers who disappeared about two years apart from small Alberta towns. Both cases went cold. Both families have no answers. Sometimes I wonder if both cases are related...dark-haired school girls.

Here's the article.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/rcmp-historical-homicide-unit-races-against-time-to-solve-alberta-cold-cases/wcm/67b381de-927c-4bdb-8e99-59e9fb744aa9

Any ideas as to why Kelly Cook's case is with the Serious Crimes Unit and not the cold case team?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:24:20 PM by wellwell »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
interesting article wellwell!  It confirms a few things for me.

... that the Historical Case Unit (now handling Kelly Cook case) merely sit on tons of boxes of information, tips, and facts regarding such cases, but they don't actually go out and investigate and gather more information.  - which is the opposite of what they could be doing since they still get tips on these cold cases, and now have dna and other advances that could be powerful tools if the tips were handled right and new evidence dug up and tested - for example:  they have made no effort, as far as I know, to investigate and search the properties and belongings of a "possible suspect" handed to them in  tips in the last few years. ... even though they have plenty of information that would put him in Standard at the time, and able and capable of such a crime ... and one picture of him taken a few years before Kelly's disappearance, is the exact "real life image" of the suspect drawing that has been put forward since years.  Even though the drawing is perceived by many to resemble many men, this suspect doesn't just resemble the drawing;  it is exactly what you would expect a drawing of this man to be.

... In addition to this, the story wellwell supplied in the previous post states that the reason they are concentrating on one case in particular, (Shelly-Ann Bascu) is because the family of the missing girl pushed them into it.  - as opposed to victims of families being set aside and/or forgotten because their family members have passed on, given up, or for some reason choose to trust in the authorities to "do the right thing" for their loved one?

Although I am glad they are also including the Stephanie Steward case... and others, I don't expect any miracles.  One thing does cross my mind however:  I wonder if they feel it is more logical and practical to keep digging into missing, but never found - in case there is a possibility (in theory) that such victim/s are still out there somewhere ... alive, brainwashed, held against their will, etc?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:17:22 PM by lostlinganer »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2018, 10:50:24 PM »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
interesting article wellwell!  It confirms a few things for me.

... that the Historical Case Unit (now handling Kelly Cook case) merely sit on tons of boxes of information, tips, and facts regarding such cases, but they don't actually go out and investigate and gather more information.  - which is the opposite of what they could be doing since they still get tips on these cold cases, and now have dna and other advances that could be powerful tools if the tips were handled right and new evidence dug up and tested - for example:  they have made no effort, as far as I know, to investigate and search the properties and belongings of a "possible suspect" handed to them in  tips in the last few years. ... even though they have plenty of information that would put him in Standard at the time, and able and capable of such a crime ... and one picture of him taken a few years before Kelly's disappearance, is the exact "real life image" of the suspect drawing that has been put forward since years.  Even though the drawing is perceived by many to resemble many men, this suspect doesn't just resemble the drawing;  it is exactly what you would expect a drawing of this man to be.

... In addition to this, the story wellwell supplied in the previous post states that the reason they are concentrating on one case in particular, (Shelly-Ann Bascu) is because the family of the missing girl pushed them into it.  - as opposed to victims of families being set aside and/or forgotten because their family members have passed on, given up, or for some reason choose to trust in the authorities to "do the right thing" for their loved one?

Although I am glad they are also including the Stephanie Steward case... and others, I don't expect any miracles.  One thing does cross my mind however:  I wonder if they feel it is more logical and practical to keep digging into missing, but never found - in case there is a possibility (in theory) that such victim/s are still out there somewhere ... alive, brainwashed, held against their will, etc?

I am hoping that Kelly Cook's case was transferred from the Standard detachment to the Serious Crimes Unit because the police are still getting and investigating leads, or because they had and still have a suspect, but don't have enough evidence to move forward with charges. I really don't know, because the HHU is in its infancy. What does it take for a case to get access to the Historical Homicide Unit? Ten years old, all leads dried up, plus a request by family members of the victim?

Considering the high profile of Kelly's disappearance and murder at the time, it was kind of shocking to me that her case file is seven times smaller than Shelly-Ann Bacsu's. I have no idea if small case files contain better quality evidence, or if Kelly's case was left in the hands of the local detachment without adequate manpower to produce results. How could a small detachment possibly find time to investigate, what with highway patrol, etc. eating up most of the budget? Small detachments were funded by the local tax base in these rural areas. Part of me wonders if Kelly's family got the short end of the stick because the local powers did not want money spent on a family who did not have a long history in the town. If that's the case, those local politicians have this cold case on their consciences (How did the killer happen to pick a newcomer?) The RCMP Serious Crimes Unit came along later -- too late for Kelly, especially since her killer left her in another part of the province, where another local detachment had jurisdiction. How much skill and experience did local RCMP, normally responsible for handling drunk drivers and property crimes, have in  homicide investigation? Little to none is my guess.

Hinton is close enough to Jasper that I wonder if Shelly-Ann's investigation benefitted from Jasper RCMP involvement. Sadly, it does sound like these cases languish on shelves in local detachments, which is all the more reason for databases where information could be shared nationwide with the click of as mouse, even in cold cases. At this rate, a murderer simply has to move to a town in the next RCMP detachment's jurisdiction to get away scot-free. Kelly's killer could havelived in nearby Drumheller, and no one would have known.

Sure, not all murders are solved, but it sure seems like the cookie-cutter, piecemeal approaches of the past need to go. That is one lesson to take away from all this.

Edited for clarity and typos.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:15:42 AM by wellwell »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2018, 01:12:30 PM »
Some thoughts I've meant to share:

1. Not a surprise that someone in Standard or Strathmore drove a North American make of car in 1981. That's what the dealerships in small-town Alberta sold in those days. In fact, that's what almost everyone in Alberta drove back then.

2. Many farmers had a habit of trading in their cars for a new one every few years. They would drive these cars into town to do business, like shopping and going to the bank. Pickup trucks were farm vehicles, for the farm. Status was a new, shiny boat of a car. The car Kelly's killer drove could have been due for a trade, if owned by a farmer at the time. Or was it a recent trade-in headed somewhere else?

3. Possible Alberta plates? What about farm plates for purple gas?

www.producer.com/1999/01/alberta-puts-brakes-on-use-of-purple-gas/

A farm kid would have noticed, as the plate numbers were a different colour from regular plates. Is this why "possible Alberta plates" was the phrase used? A townie, especially a recent arrival from another province, might not have known the difference. Farm plates would indicate a farmer.

4. Was there a Greyhound Bus dropoff or courier outlet at the local hotel or gas station in Standard in 1981? There is a Greyhound depot at a gas bar in Strathmore now.

5. Vehicle parts were shipped out from the city on Greyhound buses on a daily basis. If your car broke down in rural Alberta, you might have to wait overnight until the part arrived on a bus. This still happens, BTW.

6. Did Kelly's killer have an accent of any kind? Believe it or not, there were variations in accents in rural Alberta even then, due to different language groups. A local would recognize accent variations, and which language group they belonged to.

7. A nationwide postal strike shut down the mail from late June to mid-August in 1981. Considering that email didn't exist and fax machines hadn't come into common use, did this affect the investigation?

www.nytimes.com/1981/08/12/world/canada-s-postal-strike-ends-6-weeks-mail-awaits-sorting.html

Canada had a history of wildcat strikes back then, and any rumor of impending shutdown meant that people started looking for alternatives to sending things by mail beforehand. See Greyhound above. Also, there were local courier/express companies sending things between the towns and the nearest city every day. Was there a courier/hotshot pickup point in Standard in 1981, and where?

CPIC did exist back then. Communication was mostly by telephone and mail. Telex machines were still in use.

https://nationalpardon.org/cpic-look-canadas-police-information-database/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:19:12 PM by wellwell »

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2018, 09:09:04 PM »
Today marks the 37th anniversary (if you can call it that) of Kelly Cook's abduction. The case is still unsolved.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2018, 09:18:03 PM »
Nice to see you still caring and paying attention Aaron. Is it OK to ask why, I believe you said you weren't family?

lostlinganer

• View Profile
"connect the dots" ? or investigate all tips.... especially those that come from ex-wives or now grown-up family of "possible suspect/s" ... I don't think they have; I think they don't investigate some people because they are influential and/or untouchable .. or else, they have not got the time or manpower.. just my opinion, of course!

I hope the previous remarks that originate from Marnie Kathol are not directed at this site.  The only names I've seen on this site, that have been discussed, are those of previous convicted and/or publicized offenders -  those who have committed such crimes already ... such as abducting young girls (often, using a ruse to do so). 

We all know, on here that one such possible suspect has not been named here, but has been reported to the Historic Crime Unit supposedly investigating Kelly's murder.  The information given the investigators came from family of a possible suspect who has done time for molesting... and was most likely in Standard when Kelly disappeared.  This is a prime example of family carrying such information from the time of Kelly's murder, until a few years ago, when they no longer feared him because he was behind bars for what he had done to his own daughter while she was a young girl .... and what they faced he had done to others back then also. 
It has been more than two years since that family went to the authorities;  they actually had to hound police to take the information;  and as far as I know, police have still not confronted the man - who btw is out of jail now.  A picture of that man taken two or three years before Kelly's murder shows he is a perfect match for the "suspect sketch".... but this man came from an influential family with business ties and his father was a powerful military figure as well.  .... fair to say:  he probably wasn't even considered back when it happened, because of who he was.  .... a big name untouchable in a little town!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:17:22 PM by lostlinganer »