Author Topic: Susan Cadieux - January 7, 1956 - Age 5 - Murdered - London  (Read 38873 times)

Sunshine31

• View Profile
Re: Susan Cadieux - January 7, 1956 - Age 5 - Murdered - London
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
I just "googled" Susan Cadieux and it brought me there :) I was searching for a long time for articles pertaining to this case but with a different search engine. It's good to read original articles of the day when this horrible crime took place. What a terrible crime to have happened to such a beautiful little girl. Mrs. Cadieux's brother coming up for Susan's funeral from Ottawa and then his residence catching fire while he is in London. He lost his wife, Mrs. Joan Moynahan and three daughters, Maureen 11,  Sandra 6 and Jo-anne 4 in that fire. The entire story just breaks my heart. RIP Susan (little Angel).

Fran

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
Hi...I'm glad I found this site.
I have often wished I knew more about what happened to Susan. We were friends at the time of her death; I had been visiting my aunt, next door to her, during the December holidays. My family got sick (jaundice, I think), so I was left at my aunt's longer than I was supposed to be.
Earlier on the night Susan disappeared, I stood under an open window at her house, talking to her. I asked if she wanted to come out to play, but she said she couldn't. She told me that we could play the next day; I never saw her again.
After she was found, my parents, sick as they were, came to get me. I didn't understand why, when I knew I was supposed to be staying in London until everyone back home was better. At the time, my parents wouldn't explain why they came to get me (I was barely 4 at the time, so that's understandable)...they knew the killer was still out there, and wanted to get me home as soon as possible.
Years later, my older sister told me about what had happened. My mother confirmed what my sister said, and I remember being very upset, and mourning Susan as I would have at the time.
I have often thought about Susan and her family. They not only lost her, but her future children and grandchildren.
I wish there had been something that I could have reported, to help catch her killer, but there was nothing.
If her family sees this, please accept my belated condolences...I know it's been a very long time, but I know the pain is still there.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
Thank you so much for joining Fran and I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

elsie

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2012, 08:13:45 AM »
Yesterday evening, I was watching the History channel and a program about solving the mystery of Jack the Ripper came on.  An envelope containing a letter sent to the London police in 1888 was tested for DNA traces.  There had been a number of letters sent to the police at that time but this one described what the killer planned to do to the next victim and a few days later unfortunately it happened.  So police believed that this particular letter was really sent by the killer and not some crank.   The investigators had bones from a person of interest who is not usually named as a possible suspect.  They hoped to get a DNA match from saliva on the stamp.  The lab did get a sample of DNA but to everyone's astonishment, the DNA was from a woman!  So the mystery deepens on who licked the stamp - maybe a postal worker or a secretary or a suspect?
But the really interesting part is that a lab could test evidence that old and find a viable sample to get a DNA profile.
So that opens more possibilities for solving more recent cold cases.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Good point elsie.  Modern technology has advanced forensic DNA analysis to remarkable heights.  One advancement is the requirement for only a miniscule biological sample to attain successful analysis. 

In Susan's case, her nephew advised (reply#8) that "the dna sequence for her abductor was solved around 2000".  Assuming that the killer's DNA profile was entered into the national data bank, this means there was never a match.

The critical questions involving the historical, unsolved cases are:

-were crime scene samples collected
-were the samples handled and stored properly over the years
-were the samples retested using modern technology
-did main suspects provide samples for future dna analysis
-when is the last time LE ran DNA samples for a match

I feel that families deserve to have answers to these questions.  I actually feel the the public deserves answers also.  What are London Police and OPP doing to actively solve these cases?

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
It was great to read the other day about the RCMP solving at least one (and possibly more) of the Highway of Tears cases from 1973 through venturing outside of the national DNA databank. Gives hope that something could still be done with the London cases.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Fran, how wonderful of you to post on here.  That must have been upsetting news for you to hear those many years later.

These cases remind us of how fragile and uncertain life is.  Why are some people so 'outside of society'?  Why must they hurt others?

Thanks again for having the courage to post here.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
This is Susan's case listed on the London Police website:

http://police.city.london.on.ca/d.aspx?s=/Newsroom/Unsolved_Crimes/Murder_Susan_Cadieux.htm

New information shows a full length sketch of the suspect, and a bit more detail.

A description of the suspect was provided as: Male, white, 30-40 years, tall, thin, and unshaven. He was wearing a light brown long overcoat which was unbuttoned, black galoshes which were unbuckled and flapped openly and a dark Russian style or army Melton hat with ear flaps.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
#1 - Susan Cadieux
#2 - A composite sketch of the suspect

Pictures enlarge nicely

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
Thanks Debbie!  :-)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
You're welcome.  :)

Thanks to both yourself and chickapey for adding this information to the site.

Troubleshooter

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2015, 08:27:27 AM »