Author Topic: Susan Cadieux - January 7, 1956 - Age 5 - Murdered - London  (Read 39242 times)

Desespere

Re: Susan Cadieux - January 7, 1956 - Age 5 - Murdered - London
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »
Thank you RKay I am very interested in your opinion on this. I know you must have spent hours pouring over these articles and photos. Do you think the photo above is similar to the first composite sketch? I don't want to start casting suspicion on someone who may be innocent, but it was really those photos you posted, the three of Fryer that spurred me to look again at the composite sketch in Susan's case. When I saw the photos of Fryer I thought he was so familiar and I knew exactly why I felt that.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
Well, I have to admit when I first saw my first photo of Mr. Fryer (as attached below) I was really struck with the fact there are similarities. The later images of Mr. Fryer portray him as much more attractive than that first image suggested (which makes me want to see the original photo as opposed to a scanned version of a printed copy of grainy microfiche).

To be fair, we don't have images of ANY suspects in any of our London cases beyond the composite sketches used in relation to Susan Cadieux (2 of them), Mrs. Harrison's description of the man talking to Jackie English, as well as Donna Awcock, and Suzanne Miller (which I've yet to post). So for the one possible case suspect we have an actual photograph of, it's only natural that we look for and see commonalities. Certainly one can objectively say that we are looking at two long-faced men with dark hair and protruding ears, rounded eyebrows, a wide mouth with a thin upper lip and distinct cheekbones.

At the time of Susan's abduction, Glen Fryer would have been about 23-24, and from what I know, already teaching in London at that point. I don't know what area of town he would have lived in. I don't know if there was any description ever given about the man's height, or possible age. If the witnesses were children, possibly that information might have been difficult for them to tell. When the Fryer trial occurred, fourteen years later, they would have been adults and possibly seen his photo in the paper. I wonder what they would have thought.

Basically I'm giving you a cautious answer, as Fryer was never charged in relation to Jackie English, and was acquitted (albeit narrowly) in the Mrs. Harrison case. Obviously, as you say, we don't want to impugn an innocent man. There are many curious coincidences when it comes to him, certainly. This may be yet another one.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
There is a brief description of the man in the composite, in the site that Des provided  www.findagrave.com

He was tall, thin, unshaven, 35-40 years old.  He was wearing a Russian-style fur or wool hat, a light tan or brown overcoat and galoshes with heavy buckles.

He is quite different looking in the second composite, which also makes him look older than the first.

Desespere

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 03:36:14 PM »
Yes, the second sketch, 15 years later, the two sketches are very different. Certainly the man's age is quite older by description than Fryer would have been at the time.
The only thing I know is police extracted a DNa profile in 2002 which could identify the killer but for sure, the killers DNa is not in the national databank.

Thank you everyone for replying. You're doing a fantastic job!

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »
Hmmm... not sure why Desespere has suddenly become a "Guest" rather than a "Member"? Odd.

At any rate, to follow up on my post a couple back, Glen Fryer in 1956 lived at 31 1/2 Ridgeway, which is off Becher, near the intersection of Stanley & Wharncliffe. Quite a nice street, actually.

freeman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 04:15:40 AM »
Rkay
That is interesting, the Stanley Variety where Jaqueline Dunleavy worked is close to that area, so GF was familiar with that area........

gibbons

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 05:44:31 AM »
freeman,

The geographical links start to make a compelling story.  And if we follow the trail to where JD's body was found...??

freeman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
Although this is a real long shot I have also noted that Father Charles Sylvestre the pedophile priest was in London in this time period, he was a chaplain at Mount St Josephs Academy, where he abused at least two victims.  He could have been visiting the other school and just taken advantage of the situation.  He would have been 34 in 1956.

This link puts him there in 1957-58 but other pages have him listed there in 1955-57.
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/goodfather/timeline.html

This sick man abused dozens over the years, there is no record of violence but  the cases identified have pretty much been only those where the persons come forward many years later, something Susan was unfortunately unable to do,.........
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:40:43 AM by freeman »

gibbons

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
....and was back and forth to London as bursar at Regina Mundi (South London - Wellington Rd) (late 60's); and was a bursar/librarian @Kings University College in late 1950's.

Check out proximity of Kings University College to area where R.B. Stapylton often went camping (and the supposed destination prior to his death).

Sherlock...- Bishop Sherlock was later assigned to assess past cases linked to this priest.  Wonder if this forum is periodically assessed to determine possible links.

jeb

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
Another interesting albeit unimportant coincidence:  Mount St. Joseph Academy is also mentioned in the LFP article dated Thursday, December 10, 1970.

Toneega Howe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »
crazy ideal, what if this man was a young man, say 18 to 20, sometime kids see them as older people, just a though, what you all think.. mabye??

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
Murder suspect died 25 years ago
Last Updated: Thursday, April 6, 2000 | 7:13 AM ET CBC News 

CBC TV says an Air Force sergeant who died 25 years ago is now a suspect in two old murder cases.
The man's name surfaced last week in a Fifth Estate documentary on Steven Truscott, the man convicted in the murder of Lynn Harper, near Clinton, in the late 1950s.

More news from Toronto
The Fifth Estate says Alexander Kalichuk was overlooked as a suspect in that murder.

In last night's program, the CBC said the police now consider Kalichuk a suspect in the death of Susan Cadieux, a five-year-old girl from London who was sexually assaulted and then froze to death one night in January of 1956.

The police also say Kalichuk is being investigated again for another murder in which he was the original suspect. However, investigators have not released the name of the victim in that case.

The Fifth Estate reported that Sergeant Kalichuk had a history of sexual offences dating from 1950. He was stationed at bases in southwestern Ontario and he died in 1975.

freeman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »
I remember the stories about Kalichuk from the discussion of the Truscott case and I think he has been brought up on a couple of these threads as a candidate, however while reading Sunshine's post the description of Cadieux's abductor as wearing a russian style hat and heavy boots struck me.  What were RCAF winter issue uniforms for ground personnel like in the 1950s?
The hat in the first sketch actually looks  like this  second world war vintage canadian forces winter cap

The second  image is of a Canadian Military College Winter cap, (no date)

To a kid ( and to me)this would look like a "russian hat", the heavy boot and heavy overcoat would be standard military issues.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:22:38 PM by freeman »