Author Topic: Susan Cadieux - January 7, 1956 - Age 5 - Murdered - London  (Read 39239 times)

waabzy

• View Profile
Re: Susan Cadieux - January 7, 1956 - Age 5 - Murdered - London
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 06:19:21 AM »
i agree me.  Someone MUST recognize this face. Unless he was a transient of course but even then in a small town in those days you would think people would remember this face even if it belonged to a transient.  ANd that man knew the name of the priest at the church.

galaxygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »
I arrived in London, Ontario as a six year child in July, 1956.  It was only a few months since the Susan Cadieux murder and it was still the talk of the town.  I remember my parents discussing the case with neighbours and it made a lasting impression on me.  When I started school at St. Peters that September I was warned by my mother not to talk to strangers on the way home or else I might end up like poor little Susie.

Susan comes to mind today because I was reading the Obituaries in the London Free Press and I saw that her brother Michael had passed away on May 7, 2010 at the age of 64.  The Obit mentioned that he was predeceased by his sister Susan and brother Patrick.  Now all three of the children who played in the school yard that cold winter night in 1956 are together in heaven.  RIP.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
That is quite sad. I'd hate to have to live my whole life not knowing what happened.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
Just wanted to add some information in the form of articles where I can. Here's from a series in the London Free Press from 1990. I'll be posting a few earlier articles related to Susan's case from the late 50's /early '60's in the near future.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 02:06:55 AM »
Thanks. that face is sooo creepy!

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »
Technically speaking the perpetrator did not murder Susan, he released her alive. At that particular moment he could not have been 100% certain that she will not be found alive. If found alive, she could have led police back to him. Where does it all lead? I believe that we are not looking at a killer here. A most vile pedophile, but not a killer. Of course, he is just as guilty of Susan's death as if he had strangled her, but he will not be found on a list of known child-killers. I believe that he would most likely have committed many similar crimes (i.e. sexual assaults on young girls) where the victims survived, however, not necessarily in the London area, as he could have been a transient.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:31:46 PM by sherlockholmes »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
You have a very valid point sherlockholmes.    He harmed her sexually, but he didn't kill her.   The poor child died from the cold and the shock.  I too, wonder how many more victims this creep would have.

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
To further elaborate, either he lived within a few minutes' walk of where Susan was found, or dropped her off nearby if he used a car in the abduction. She was found around 10.00 AM, and the medical examiner estimated that she died approximately 3 hours earlier, i.e. around 7.00 AM. I doubt it that she was outdoors for the whole night, therefore the perpetrator had to take her somewhere indoors. Would a boarding house afford the privacy to sexually assault a child? I do not believe so.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
You would think there wouldn't be enough privacy in a boarding house, but look at that crime down east where the woman was held captive for quite a while in the basement apartment.   I suppose she would be more willing to be quiet, and understand, whereas poor Susan would be severely tramatized, and hurt... so maybe the perp lived alone or with elderly parents......and he had the basement to himself.   

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »
Here's another sketch of the perpetrator, from a 1964 LFP article.

I imagine it must be coincidence that there is a resemblance to a possible suspect pictured in the Jacqueline English thread.

Desespere

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
Technically speaking the perpetrator did not murder Susan, he released her alive. At that particular moment he could not have been 100% certain that she will not be found alive. If found alive, she could have led police back to him. Where does it all lead? I believe that we are not looking at a killer here. A most vile pedophile, but not a killer. Of course, he is just as guilty of Susan's death as if he had strangled her, but he will not be found on a list of known child-killers. I believe that he would most likely have committed many similar crimes (i.e. sexual assaults on young girls) where the victims survived, however, not necessarily in the London area, as he could have been a transient.

cliff swan's dissertation as he confessed to Punky Gustavson's murder is very similar. He left her in the trucking yard, brutally sexually assaulted and in complete shock. She died after he left her there and was found a few days later. He was convicted of murder in her death and I think he plead guilty once caught by DNa about 10 years after Punky's murder in Edmonton.

I read it was a bitterly, bitterly cold night in London the night Susan Cadieux died, probably less than an hour before she was recovered. I think Susan's death and Punky's death are similar in that it may not have been the intention of the killer to kill the children, but he sure as heck didn't care if they lived. They left it up to nature, more or less, I think they were quite aware there was a chance these little 6 year-olds would die.

Sherlock, I hope my bringing up technicalities doesn't upset anyone, but I do believe the killer of Susan is a killer of children and probably had other victims, likely most of them lived. Maybe Susan was the first one to die, but maybe she wasn't the last.

I agree with you too when you say the person killed Susan was a vile pedophile and probably had other victims, which lived. In London, over a span of about 8 months prior to Susan's murder, six young girls were molested by a 'sexual deviant' in the same general neighbourhood, but never caught. It has crossed my mind the deviant is the same person who abducted Susan.

Susan's killer may not have intended for her to die because he was too stupid to realize a little, tiny girl would soon die of hypothermia if left to wander an area she wasn't familiar with, dazed, confused, in pain and scared. Maybe he left it to the hands of nature, perhaps God, but I see that as another sadistic exercise. I don't think Susan's killer cared if Susan died or not. I have thought about this for a long time and I think, after a few months, he felt he got away with it and carried on with other victims.

Because there were so many murders of young people after Susan, but none before in  London, unsolved. She is the first of thirteen or so between 1956-1969.

Personally, I don't think killers of children kill every child they abuse. Sexual deviants as they were once called, pedophiles in today's terms, who have killed one child may not necessarily kill all children they abuse. I also believe those who have killed, likely abused several before one died.

I'm sure there are cases where a pedophile 'accidentally' murdered a child while they were abusing them. Usually they are caught or identified quite early on. Thank the Lord for that. But there are some in this country who have killed children and were never caught. Staring so long back, like 1943 or so, there are baby victims whose murders are unresolved and their killers, sadistic murderous pedophiles.

I believe the law is such that technically the killer of Susan is a most vile pedophile and murderer, because by our laws of murder, anyone who causes the death of someone during the commission of sexual assault or kidnapping (of a child) is guilty of first-degree murder. It is so sad first-degree in Canada carries only about a 60% harsher penalty than second-degree murder (which is max life no parole eligibility for 10 years). There should be no parole eligibility at all.

I think cliff snow was able to negotiate a deal to second-degree murder because he plead guilty. Otherwise, in my opinon, he would have been convicted of first. I don't know if cliff snow could be responsible for other child murders over the years but I have a feeling Susan's killer had other victims.

I came here today to look for the composite sketch link to compare the composite sketch of Susan's abductor to Glen Fryer, who is somewhat implicated in the murder of Jacqueline English. I think the photos of Fryer are close to the composite of Susan, and definitely closer than the composite of Jacqueline's possible abductor.

Sorry for the long post, I have studied Susan's case for awhile and just wanted to post some thoughts and in light of the new stuff posted at Jacqueline's case (see link below), I saw some new stuff posted here which interested me. Sherlock, I don't mean to offend if I spoke to a technicality. I do not hold a bottom line that the pedophile may not technically be a killer and wanted to express why, but I sure see your point because I've thought that way too, it was not a deliberate act of murder. I realize it could have been a case of where the killer took a chance, perhaps even a sadistic chance, and played with Susan's life. It was so very, very cold that night.

Here's the link where I posted the composite sketch in Susan's case against a photo of a possible person of interest in Jacquline English's case.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=709.msg66487#msg66487
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:35:09 PM by Desespere »

Desespere

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »
Sorry, there is a problem with the quoting feature or I am having a problem using it. I meant to quote a different Sherlock post so I am editing the above to post the correct quote I am referring to. Also, I do find it very interesting the second sketch, done 8 years later is a little different than the one I referred to in Jacqueline English's case relative to Fryer. YES, this second sketch does remind me of the original sketch in Jacqueline English's case too. Sorry, I didn't see the post about the similarity when I wrote just above. I usually read one post and respond. I should probably read them all and then respond.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
Another potential suspect in Susan's case was Alexander Kalichuk.

(Source of photo: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/truscott/file.html)

The following article appeared shortly after CBC's Fifth Estate aired their piece on Steven Truscott, where they pointed the finger at Kalichuk as a possible suspect in Lynn Harper's murder.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2000/04/06/murdersuspect000406.html

Murder suspect died 25 years ago
Last Updated: Thursday, April 6, 2000 | 7:13 AM ET

CBC News TV says an Air Force sergeant who died 25 years ago is now a suspect in two old murder cases.
The man's name surfaced last week in a Fifth Estate documentary on Steven Truscott, the man convicted in the murder of Lynn Harper, near Clinton, in the late 1950s.

The Fifth Estate says Alexander Kalichuk was overlooked as a suspect in that murder.

In last night's program, the CBC said the police now consider Kalichuk a suspect in the death of Susan Cadieux, a five-year-old girl from London who was sexually assaulted and then froze to death one night in January of 1956.

The police also say Kalichuk is being investigated again for another murder in which he was the original suspect. However, investigators have not released the name of the victim in that case.

The Fifth Estate reported that Sergeant Kalichuk had a history of sexual offences dating from 1950. He was stationed at bases in southwestern Ontario and he died in 1975.

Desespere

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Yes goNgo, Kalichuk has been mentioned and I have heard something to the effect that Kalichuk was one of those vile pedophiles but never harmed a child. The interesting factor in his implication to Lynn Harper is he drove a brand new vehicle that seems to match the description of the vehicle Steven Truscott described seeing and shortly after Lynn's murder he sold his brand new car and replaced it with a different new car. What was interesting about that quick sale is Kalichuk had his old car for I think it was 14 years and then he bought this new car, and only had it a few months before he sold it. Strange behaviour for this man I guess.

There was a DNa profile made of Susan's killer in 2002 (maybe it was 2000) and I think it didn't match the suspect Kalichuk.

It is interesting to me to note that while the military was aware of Kalichuk's pedophilia they never turned him in to civilian authorities. Also, there is an article published on www.findagrave.com (I think there is a link on this thread) where the writer of Susan's obit/memorium on the find a grave site said that Susan was found with a military bootlace around her neck. I never read anywhere else about a possible strangulation of Susan, so take that find a grave article with a grain of salt. The interesting thing is that author on find a grave seems to have info not available anywhere else.

The discussion was held some time ago about whether Kalichuk resembles the composite. I didn't think so and others did think he looked like the first composite sketch. He looks less like the second composite sketch. I do not think Susan's brother thought Kalichuk was the killer of Susan. He could have been the vile pedophile though, the one who had abused six little girls in 8 months prior to Susan's abduction and death.

I will try to post a side-by-side-by-side of Kalichuk, Fryer and the three composite sketches (two from this thread and one from Jacqueline English's thread. Unless someone else gets to that first. I think it would be interesting to see which resembles which the most.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
If you're going to compare pictures, Desespere, why not include one where Mr. Fryer obliges by wearing a similar hat?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:27:25 PM by rkay »