Author Topic: Margaret Sheeler - London, ON - Murdered - 1963  (Read 17044 times)

goNgo

• View Profile
Re: Margaret Sheeler - London, ON - Murdered - 1963
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
Interesting... strange... but she was buried in Wallaceburg under her maiden name. If she was married, why would this be? Women keeping their own names wasn't common until much later ...  any ideas?

Also if her husband worked at a warehouse, would it have been open on a weekend? It's not like it's an actual store but at any rate, not reporting a pregnant woman until the next day seems very off to me

...and not reporting your pregnant wife missing until very late the next night seems even more off.

Margaret was pregnant, so they likely felt compelled to get married and they quickly moved to the big city, far from her family.  That must have been tough on both of them. It wouldn't be surprising if there were stresses on this young couple. Did Margaret have any friends in London?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »
At first glance, it would appear that this one should be an open and shut case.  But it is not.... Police talk about several witnesses - so what did the witnesses see or hear or know for certain, that would clear Phil at that particular time??
The ex was also not a suspect or was cleared of being one.
So, if that is the case, who murdered her??
I wonder if Maggie and Phil had company that evening, when they had their tiff?  If so, that could insert another possible suspect into the equation.
JB
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:07:20 PM by jellybean »

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »
She was pregnant. Got into an argument with husband over beer bottles. Goes missing in a snowstorm. Isn't reported missing by her husband until almost midnight the next day. Body is found a month later in close walking distance to their home. Body is half naked with clothing found around her but there was no sexual assult. She was burried with her maiden name.

I'm not a detective, but it was obviously the husband. They got into a fight. She left. He followed. He hit her with something. Took her to the field. Removed some clothing to make it look like sexual assult. Went home. Cleaned up. Reported her missing the next day.

All the foot prints in the snow that night would have showed exactly where she went and what happened. Any blood in the snow was covered and would have melted away with the snow in warm weather/rain.

I think they should give the husband a lie detector test.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
It looks cut and dried to us, but why no arrests?  And why Suspects: Unknown?
 :o

The appeal by London Police Crime Section was posted on their website in 2008.

Yes Besani, a polygraph would certainly help, 

JB
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:21:58 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 10:20:42 PM »
The husband has not been charged with anything, or named as a poi. I'm assuming this is your opinion and your post should reflect that.

I'm not a detective, but it was obviously the husband. They got into a fight. She left. He followed. He hit her with something. Took her to the field. Removed some clothing to make it look like sexual assult. Went home. Cleaned up. Reported her missing the next day.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:05 PM »
What was that neighbourhood like then? It sure has its reputation now but it was newer then so maybe nicer? I still wonder why she was buried under her maiden name and what became of him after?

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 10:50:38 PM »
I don't understand how he wasn't a person of interest, he admitted they had an argument, it was over alcohol bottles, he was the last one to see her alive, and he didn't report her missing until almost midnight the next day. Then they find her body walking distance away...

All I'm saying is that this case seems fishy, like the police didn't spend enough time on it.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 11:24:39 PM »
When making such a strong statement it is best to have proven facts to back it up with, or clarify by adding that it is your opinion only. :)

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 06:52:52 AM »
I was also wondering about the field... it looks like there is an apartment building there now... looks like sometime in the 80s. If it was an open field at the time something like a body would have been discovered sooner, I'd think... most likely by children on Christmas break playing with their new Christmas toys. As well... if someone is missing wouldn't the first course of action be to comb the area? Someone would have walked that field looking for her. As soon as she was reported missing... did he inform her family? Wouldn't they have come down to see what was going on?  Also... if she was hit on the head, the question in my mind is... with what? A blunt object? A sharp object? Was there any DNA present?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
Quote jellybean:  " And why Suspects: Unknown?"

Hi jb--All of the unsolved murders listed on the London Police Service web site state "Suspect(s)" as "Unknown".  I'm sure that this does not mean that LE did not have any suspects, but rather they aren't going to name them publicly.  Most times, even the victim's loved ones aren't told who the suspect is, let alone the public. 

In Margaret's case, without the media releases from that time, it is impossible to tell who, if anyone, was named a POI or suspect, but it seems to be rarely done regardless.