Author Topic: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 150325 times)

jensen

• View Profile
Re: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »
Thank you Sunshine 31, Woodland, and D1 is
This site has evolved in the short time I've been a member and certainly everyone's input is encouraging to my family and others.  We must keep asking questions, keep pushing forward and never give up hope for a resolution.  There is someone out there who knows something and the more we question and promote this site, the more likely we are to find answers. 

foghorn

« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
The original LFP article (posted on this site in an earlier reply - see map in Reply #18) that depicts where Frankie's body was found differs somewhat from the text description of the location.  Whether Frankie was found north or south of Centre Road is therefore unclear, and it in some ways confuses later reports of where Scott Leishman (another unsolved case from the same year) may have lived since his house location is referenced to where Frankie was eventually recovered from the Thames.

The following (see below) PDF is from the OPP unsolved cases website, where Frankie's case is listed in 1968.   I am not sure who made this sketch...whether it was the OPP...or whether it may have been supplied to them.   The location shown is south of Centre Road, fits the text description (1.5 miles north of bridge), but differs from the map depiction shown in the LFP article from 1968.  Theexact location should still be a point of discussion until it is resolved as it has obvious implications in terms of access locations to the river.

If anyone has information as to the exact area encompassed by the term RR1 Thorndale - that would be helpful.  Also, if anyone recollects which road was considered as the (gravelled) West Nissouri Township Concession Road 1, that would also be very useful.   The map below is a PDF.  If it is a problem to open, you can also visit the OPP unsolved cases website (you can find a link by re-visiting Reply #156 on this thread. The link is provided at the bottom of that reply)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:30:52 AM by foghorn »

foghorn

« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2012, 06:49:47 AM »
Composite map of Valley View Road area extending from Thorndale Road to Plover Mill Road showing the two locations (as per  April 1968 London Free Press article and as per OPP web site).  Note that the locations differ with respect to being either north or south of Centre Drive.  For those unfamiliar with the Thames River, the current direction is from top (north) to bottom (south). 

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
Excellent spotting Foghorn!  We know from the article that Mr. Mullen, one of 2 men who found Frankie, called the OPP from Mr. Frank O'Shaunessy's home.  The photo shows Mr. O'Shaunessy pointing to the little island where Frankie became entangled in barbed wire.  His address is given as RR 1 Thorndale so a property search should be able to give us the exact location.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
I'd like to begin adding some unpublished London Free Press photos of the search for Frankie. I've been stalling because I'm not quite sure of the best way to present them, since many of them are similar and I don't want to lessen their impact by repetition , but I would hate to leave out one that contains any detail that might spark a memory. In any case, they mostly can speak for themselves, but I would love to hear what can be added.

Chronologically, I'll start with the first but also to my mind the most important one.

Frankie's disappearance was first noted in the late afternoon on Friday, February 9th, when most of the Jensen family had returned home. The school had not called at any point to verify his absence from class (which happens almost immediately now-- perhaps one positive outcome from this tragedy). After a short search on their own of obvious possibilities, the Jensens contacted police, and an extensive hunt began that evening for the missing boy. Here is Mr. Jensen, Frankie's father that night:

(Image reproduced courtesy of the London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives, The University of Western Ontario Archives, February 9, 1968.)

One can only imagine the stress Mr. Jensen was suddenly faced with, having come home from what was a peaceful, average workday, to face every parent's worst nightmare. Actively involved in the search from the onset, this image shows that Mr. Jensen was in constant communication with the police, while having the forbearance to cope with his own inner turmoil.

Also, from the same night:

(Image reproduced courtesy of the London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives, The University of Western Ontario Archives, February 9, 1968.)

Not sure who these three are, and would welcome any identification.

The state of dress for and the snow shows the weather was clearly a factor in making any search difficult that night, as well as being an imperative for finding Frankie quickly, a prevailing belief (hope?) at that early stage being he had wandered off or gotten lost, and was still nearby.

From February 10th, the following Saturday morning-- the police and a very large number of concerned citizens were mobilized in a foot search of the area, looking for any clue as to where he might be.

Looking north on Hyde Park Road:

Heading south on Hyde Park Road, past Riverside:

There seems to have been a gathering area at what *appears* to be the gas station that was on the southeast corner of Riverside and Hyde Park Road (closest to the Jensen home, which Frankie would have passed). The first two images show looking west across Hyde Park. Please note the cars, foghorn!

Looking northward, across Riverside (the intersection would be just outside the frame on the left):

You'll notice this gentleman above in the earlier three shots:

He seems to be a focus for assisting with the search, as the photographer appears to follow his movements in several of the photos. It has been suggested that he is Principal P.L. Pickles of Westdale school. If anyone can verify that-- or name anyone else in the images-- that would help immensely.

(All above images reproduced courtesy of the London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives, The University of Western Ontario Archives, February 10, 1968.)

More to follow...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:14:11 AM by rkay »

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2012, 03:31:46 AM »
Thanks so much for posting these Rkay.  The gentleman with police is not P.L. Pickles.  Could it be Det. Alsop?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
I have copied below a post that I have made to Scott Leishman's thread.

To all Thorndale locals:  Can you please help?

In an effort to locate the exact spot where little Frankie Jensen's body was found, we are trying to locate Frank O'Shaughnessy's property from 1968.  It was Conc. 2, lot 19, and was situated between Nissouri Rd. and Valley View Rd.  Frankie's body was found in the Thames River at the rear of this property.

In 1971 this property was listed as Larry and Louise F. Russell, and it appears to have been owned by the London District Association for the Mentally Retarded.

In 1968 The O'Shaughnessy neighbours were Marta Zecchini (lot 19) and the Estate of Lorna. C. Harris (lot 18).

If anyone could point out this property on Google maps, or provide a current address, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Have Faith

Edit:  change Loise to Louise
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:15:58 PM by Have faith »

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
Please take a moment to sign our petition to the OPP. It's a plea to add all unsolved murder cases in the OPP jurisdiction to their website. Thank you and please share with your friends.

http://www.change.org/petitions/opp-the-opp-website-needs-to-include-all-unsolved-opp-murder-cases#

SAP

« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
It would be a good idea to also post the link under General on this forum with an explanation about it. I believe other petitions have been listed there and may get a larger audience cross-Canada as well.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
Thank you... Will do!

elsie

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
"  In 1971 this property was listed as Larry and Loise F. Russell, and it appears to have been owned by the London District Association for the Mentally Retarded."

In 1981, my niece was referred to CPRI for her child with Down's Syndrome.
In 1971, did the London District Association for the Mentally Retarded have any direct connections to CPRI?

Several of these unsolved murders are linked to CPRI in one way or another.
Another link is fire - the Jensen store, Betty Harrison's house and the house where Jackie English had lived. Were there any other fires ?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:48:50 PM by elsie »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
I don't know if this will help, since I'm not from that area; but last night I started a list of sexual predators around Ontario at the time.  It seems to me that there were some very seriously active pedos being protected in the 60's and 70's (at least that eventually came to light... probably hundreds still not spoken of); so it stands to reason that a lot of kids were in danger all over the province.  .... especially in institutions.  But who's to say these pedophiles didn't abduct elsewhere apart from their regular "comfort zone".  I will try to keep adding to this list.  I think Frankie knew his abductor... trusted him.

1. The emotional day-long sentencing hearing was the second for Hall: Weeks ago, the Aylmer man was dealt a three-year prison term for four years of abuse inflicted on a London boy in the 1960s.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/22/16651966.html
2. The charges were laid last month after a request by The Toronto Star for a 30-year-old document from the Archives of Ontario sparked a police investigation - one of the largest of its kind - into St. Joseph's Training School for Boys at Alfred, east of Ottawa.
The accused - many of them now elderly, gray-haired and balding - face a total of 149 charges of assault causing bodily harm, buggery, indecent assault, gross indecency and attempted buggery.
Ontario Provincial Police launched what they say is the largest sexual abuse investigation in Canada last February after The Star unearthed a confidential report of a 1960 internal probe into the treatment of boys at St. Joseph's, 70 kilometres (40 miles
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/461735511.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Mar+21%2C+1991&author=Darcy+Henton+Toronto+Star&pub=Toronto+Star&desc=19+Brothers+face+sex-abuse+charges+Pre-trial+next+for+men+who+ran+Ontario+reform+school&pqatl=googlehttp://www.thestar.com/article/878934
4.During his career, Morrissey was an assistant pastor in several parishes in the London, Ont., area. He was later pastor of Roman Catholic congregations in Grand Bend, 100 kilometres (60 miles) northwest of London, and in the Edmonton area, where he was pastor of Our Lady of the Prairies in Daysland, Alta.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/519163591.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Feb+12%2C+1993&author=Philip+Mascoll+TORONTO+STAR&pub=Toronto+Star&desc=Priest+jailed+for+sex+abuse+at+reform+school&pqatl=google
5. ... of 19 religious brothers charged with physical and sexual abuse in the Alfred boys' ... report on allegations of abuse by members of the religious lay order in 1960. When the charges were laid in February, Ontario Provincial Police called the ...

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/465670751.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+07%2C+1991&author=CP&pub=Toronto+Star&desc=Religious+brother+faces+trial+in+Alfred+sex-abuse+case&pqatl=google

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »
Thanks to countrygirl : (copied from Scott Leishman's thread)

Morning Faith.  Here are the responses I've gotten so far (in regards to your post #23).  I think it's conflicting though at least in  my memory as the campground is on the river which is on the east side of the road yet another person says west side?

Karen Cadick Hunter    22 September 23:55
I remember this Like it was yesterday. And the camp grounds sounds right .
Comment history

Jessie St.Amand   22 September 09:38
I was going to say that but was not sure

Denise Fewer   22 September 08:03
The existing "River View Campground" on Valleyview was owned by the London and District Association for the Mentally Retarded when we purchased it in 1994. Not sure if thats of any help.

Linda O'Neil   21 September 23:03
Hi Lot 19 would be north on Nissouri Rd. from the Thorndale Rd. It would be on the west side. about 2/3 of the way to the oliver side rd.

Jessie St.Amand   21 September 21:24
I went on and read it yes very interessting

Pam Balfour   21 September 21:14
I am interested in tv shows about unsolved crimes so one night I did some searching on the internet and came across this website. I was able to answer some of the location questions and mentioned that I would post about this website on this Thorndale group. Nothing happened and today I got an email asking if I could post this question to see if anyone has any more info. It's an interesting website! There were 3 cases back then that are eerily similar, Where one body was found, another went missing close by. Scott seems to be the last victim.

The above replies agree to where rkay and I located the O'Shaugnessy property in the 1968 land registry and in the Thorndale map of concessions and lots numbers.  Based on the above replies, and our research, it appears that the O'Shaugnessy property was indeed located directly south of the River View Campground, on the west side of the Thames.  Looking at google maps, there is a small island in this area, as well as a very large one. (Frankie's body was snagged on an island).

HF

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
Much belated, but thank you so much for the images posted above, rkay.

This really puts the time and place in context.  It actually gives me the shivers.

freeman

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
"  In 1971 this property was listed as Larry and Loise F. Russell, and it appears to have been owned by the London District Association for the Mentally Retarded."

In 1981, my niece was referred to CPRI for her child with Down's Syndrome.
In 1971, did the London District Association for the Mentally Retarded have any direct connections to CPRI?

Elsie
Jackie Dunleavy's body was found in the driveway of the Katherine Harley School beside CPRI, that school was for the mentally retarded children of the London area at that time.  So there might be a connection through the LDA for the Mentally Retarded or associated families.