Author Topic: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 146652 times)

chickapey

• View Profile
Re: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
I'm a bit confused... back then was attendance taken at ALL for school? There must have been some way of knowing if a child was attending school or not (thinking of how they would notify a truant officer for example). If it was taken in the morning, was it also taken after lunch for kids who went home for lunch?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
Chickapey--Because Frankie had come home sick from school the afternoon before (Thursday), his absence wasn't questioned on Friday morning.  (see reply #11)

At a Board of Education meeting, letters from three parents suggested that the schools should immediately report to parents any unexplained absence of a child, although one parent felt it was solely the parents duty to call the school.   The trustees agreed that calling the parents would be impractical, but asked for a report on it's feasibility anyway. (reply #10)

A Board meeting also addressed the problems of the unsafe routes to Westdale P.S. Because there were no sidewalks, students would have to walk on the road, which was unsafe, therefore they resorted to short-cuts which were off streets and out of sight of houses.  Westdale wasn't the only London school with unsafe routes. (reply #10)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:47:04 PM by Have faith »

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »
At Have faith's request, I'm adding the information from the OPP board directly into our thread. Not sure how to post the image links as they have them qithin the thread but if I can I'll replace this post.

(I've fixed the typo in Frankie's name at the top of the OPP page, which I didn't notice until now. Jensen, any chance that can be mentioned to the OPP?)

Date: February 9, 1968

Victims - Victimes
Frankie JENSEN Jr.
9/M

Frankie Jensen Jr. was a grade 4 pupil at Westdale Public School in London Ontario. He was 4ft 2in tall and weighed approx. 50 lbs., had blonde collar length hair. He was the son of a local furniture store owner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suspects
UNKNOWN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

London Free Press - 10 Feb 1968 - Search for Frankie Jensen
London Free Press - 12 April 1968 - Frankie found dead
Photo of property owner where Jensen body located
Map of route Frankie would have taken to school
Map of location where body was found   

How you can help - Comment vour pouvez aider

Any person who would like to speak with a french speaking officer about this case can call 1-705-329-6330.
Toute personne desirant parler a un officier en francais par rapport a ce cas, s'il vous plait contacter le 1 705 329 6330.

Any person having information regarding the person(s) responsible for the death of Frankie JENSEN Jr. should contact the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, their nearest police authority or Crime Stoppers. 

Again, here's the direct link:

http://www.opp.ca/cibui/html/displaycase.php?id=132
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:36:48 PM by rkay »

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
Thank you HF...  I remember reading that but wondered if they took attendance at all in that day. I mean, how many days would a child have to be absent before the school contacted the parents? 

crazycat58

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:14 AM »

foghorn

« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
Hi CrazyCat!

Thanks for the additional information on this case.  Was the white car there in the morning (ie. before school would have started), or did you see it on the way back from lunch?  Other than being a white car, is there anything you might remember about how large it was, or other details?

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
Thank you so much for joining us also, Crazycat. The more minds on this the better.

Did you get the impression the police didn't take you as seriously because you were a child too? What time of day did you see the car? It makes sense it would be a dirty white car given it was the middle of winter and all cars are a mess at this time of year but do you remember if it seemed dirtier than say a city car would be? What I mean is, usually cars coming in from the country look dirtier because of the roads etc (dirt vs pavement)

crazycat58

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
Foghorn & Chickapey  Thank you for the welcomes.
It was in the morning on our way to school.  I don't remember there being anything specific about the vehicle, or it being larger than average.  I do remember it was a car and not a van or station wagon.  Dirty....mmm looking back....it was white but a dirty white from the weather, like it hadn't been washed in a while.  As for not being taken seriously, I honestly do not remember having that feeling, but then again we were just youngsters at the time and would probably not have understood being "taken seriously" or not.

« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »

Welcome to the site crazycat58. As a neighbourhood child at that time, you and Pookie can bring a much better perspective of the time and place than can be gleened from maps. Thank you so much for coming forward and choosing to share that with us here.
I wonder if I can ask you a couple of questions? You said that you spoke with the "authorities" about the car that you saw. Are you referring to the police or school authorities? Can you recall approximately when that conversation took place in relation to February 9, the day Frankie went missing?

crazycat58

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
It is the police officers that we spoke to and I'm sorry I cannot help you with the time frame of when the conversations took place.  Unfortunately I do not have the ability to question my parents regarding the circumstances and it was a long time ago.  Sorry about that.

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »
Dear Crazycat
So happy you've joined us.  After all these years it's wonderful that Frankie still pops into your mind.  Thank you for joining us.  Anything you can bring to this discussion, the slightest detail, could be exactly what we need to unravel this mystery.
We're so grateful.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »
Welcome to Frankie's thread, crazycat. Glad to have you here and thanks for your input so far!

I have some images coming of the 'command post' that first weekend of the search for Frankie, and I do believe it's inside a gas station, judging by what details I could see on the negatives.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
Welcome crazycat58 and thank you for sharing your recollections.  Your memory of a white car being parked on HP Rd. in the morning of Feb. 9 seems to correspond to the same time line used by the OPP on their web site.

Pookie and crazycat58--if you think back (I know how difficult it is to go back 44 years) can you picture the car with the motor running--exhaust coming out of the tail pipe, the windows clear-not fogged up etc.  Or do you picture the car parked as though nobody was inside?  Did you see anybody sitting inside?

Pookie:  Now we have to wonder if the car you saw at lunch time and the one cc58 saw that morning are the same or different cars.  Would you say that the white/cream car you saw was really dirty?  Is it possible that cc58 was in a different group that morning, or that you were lagging far enough behind and missed the morning sighting or the car was blocked from your field of vision by the group? 

crazycat58 and Pookie--were you and your friends and siblings interviewed by the police in 1968?  Were any of you interviewed again in the re-investigation between 1997 and 2000?

Thank you so much for being here and sharing.  You are good people. :-)

Have faith

crazycat58

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:17 AM »
Good Morning Have Faith:
I picture the car parked off the side of the road with no one in it, but honestly if it was running or not I cannot remember.  Each day as we walked up HPR we met up with kids from Hazel Ave as well as picking up along the remainder of HPR.  I could not tell you today who was in the group we walked with that day. 
I believe we were interviewed by the police in 1968 and have never been interviewed again. 

CC

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
Thanks CC, I appreciate your response.

HF