Author Topic: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 146996 times)

foghorn

Re: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »
The map is very helpful and gives us a much better sense of where & why the LE may have placed their efforts.  Despite the weather, the area does provide a number of places where someone may have waited for an opportunity.  Wish I could help with the question of the gas station; by 1973/74 the gas station was closed,but had the look of a location that had only been closed for a couple of years (pumps were still in place, and sign had not fallen down).  Also, by 73/74 the gravel pit was slowly being changed into a landfil (large appliances and car chassis) in parts.  Not much help - but the London facebook site might help us get some answers.   My recollection of the gravel pit was that there was an access road onto HP road very near to where Frankie was last seen.  Perhaps this access road was created to facilitate the landfill function; it was there in 73/74 but may not have been there before (based on a discussion on the London facebook site, it seems that half of the people remembered it, the other half suggested it was not there).   The access road heading into the pit descended steeply from Hyde Park Road and a car parked in there would not be visible to homeowners on the other side of the road.  The field, across which Frankie would have walked, had also been used for years for cross country training (autumn months) for Oakridge high school kids.  I suppose the creeps who parked in the laneway may have had several venues of interest.

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
Yes the gas station is interesting, a mechanic could possibly wear the green pants and shirt and could have just lured Frankie into the station and not a car, he would have been easier to overpower here and clues could be hard to find in a gas station.  Did the gas station have a work bay to work on cars? Did the gas station have many vacant cars sitting on the lot? (waiting to be serviced or serviced and waiting for pick up)

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
Took a drive to look at the bridges over the Thames River north of where Frankie was found, from just beyond St. Mary's down. Taking a look at the other bridges bolstered my opinion that the killer more likely used the Plover Mills Bridge to deposit Frankie.

The bridges in St. Mary's are far too narrow to pull over a car, but more importantly, it is entirely too populated around them. The downtown area of St. Mary's has a lot of roadway following along the Thames but there is far too much chance of being spotted and much of it currently behind fence. Not to mention, the Thames is quite narrow there and I'm not sure even in winter Frankie's body would've gone undetected that long.

Heading south, the Elginfield Road bridge (Hwy 7) has a very wide roadway and almost no soft shoulder to pull over to (in fact, when I did so, the cars behind me all chose to give a wide berth). Again, being in a deep valley, there would be every opportunity that a car could come over the crest on either side without much warning, which may have either spotted our killer, or possibly caused an accident. This highway would be a busier  thoroughfare too than the PM road.

So, the next bridge, heading south, is Plover Mills. Here's a better shot of the old bridge supports:

This is looking southward, at the small building (pumphouse?) just off the service road on the south side of the bridge:

And I was able to get a new piece of information, confirming that this was indeed in existence at the time:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:57:03 PM by rkay »

foghorn

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »
For those currently limited to Google Maps, if you take a look from Thorndale Rd (#28), glancing either up or downstream from there you can get a sense of the nature of the small islands that crop up along this portion of the Thames.  They are very low and likely would be completely overrun during a spring thaw when the river levels rise.  There used to be a lot of fencing that ran to the edge of the water (and in some parts of the Upper Thames actually might span parts of the river) and bits and pieces of historical -discarded fencing probably found their way onto the little island where Frankie was found and would have served to stop him from going further downstream.

Based on the bridge plaque - being built in 1965, is it also likely that the two service roads just to the south were also existent in 1965?  Do these provide access to the water pump buildings?  I notice, on Google that there is a red car parked at the end of the one on the west side of the river.  I wonder whether this a common place to park a car for those interested in hiking, fishing, or just looking for privacy.    Although these may have been impassible in winter, it is possible that the killer may have developed a familiarity with this bridge for other reasons -perhaps parking his car there in the past.  Just trying to think of what would make this particular bridge the killer's choice - compared to the Elginfield bridge, or the Thorndale Road bridge, all of which are in the same general area.

Curiously, the section of river south of Plover Mill Road seems to have a lot of fencing (I think it is wide wooden fencing, based on rkay's photo) on both sides of the river; the fencing runs for quite a distance.  I wonder what type of fencing would have existed there back in '68?

Thanks for posting the pictures of the bridge and surrounding structures. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:20:53 AM by foghorn »

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »
I'm truly amazed at the research that's being done here.  Thanks so much everyone for never giving up!

foghorn

« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has information on what constitutes the boundaries of RR#1 Thorndale?  With reference to Scott Leishman, it is stated that he lived 1 mile from where Frankie was found; the only address is RR#1 Thorndale - which seems to include an area north of Thorndale, up along the Valley View Road.  Do we have a better, more exact location either of where Scott had lived and/or where it was that he accepted a ride?   If this was north of where Frankie was found (ie. upstream) perhaps it is significant.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »
foghorn..although I couldn't find the answer re RR#1 Thorndale, maybe this question could be posed on Scott's thread and on the "London" face book page.

Logical--welcome to the forum and to Frankie's thread.  It is very possible that the garage workers wore a green uniform.

Have faith

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
Yes the gas station is interesting, a mechanic could possibly wear the green pants and shirt and could have just lured Frankie into the station and not a car, he would have been easier to overpower here and clues could be hard to find in a gas station.  Did the gas station have a work bay to work on cars? Did the gas station have many vacant cars sitting on the lot? (waiting to be serviced or serviced and waiting for pick up)

Speaking of green uniforms....

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2012, 04:11:44 AM »
So sorry to hear about the way your father treated you and your sister Jessybessy...thanks for the military tip and for reminding us of the route your father took to get across the river.  I appreciate your contribution to this thread.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:22 AM »
Welcome Jessy. I sm so sorry for what you went through but I am so happy you're with us!

Today marks 44 years without answers. Frankie, we will never forget. You dear little boy, you are loved.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »
Remembering Frankie Jensen and his family today on the 44th anniversary of his disappearance.
Asking our little angel to guide us in our search for answers and justice.

HF

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
A poster on the facebook site says there was a house down in the old part of Hyde Park road. It burned in the 80s. Any idea who may have lived there or what it was?

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »
There were two houses on that part of the road that dips into the gully. I am quite sure the house that burned belonged to an elderly, reclusive woman. Hope this helps.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
We may have never met, Frankie, but I think about you often, especially today. Here's hoping that answers are forthcoming.

In the meantime, here's another gift, courtesy of the Jensen family:

Frankie with family, on holiday in Denmark (I've cropped the photo somewhat for clarity). What a great image. Thank you.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
Aww...God Bless his Soul. 
Sad there is no Justice for the Jensens....yet.