Author Topic: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 146448 times)

rkay

• View Profile
Re: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »
I could see if the London Room has old phone book listings and check to see if there were any other stores along Waterloo or area that may fit the description of a hardware store. I have to say that Wallace Hardware on Richmond seems possible, but why describe it as on or near Waterloo when Richmond is a more significant street and 2 blocks away at that?  Anyway, I'll see if there's any other possibility, maybe not near Oxford.

As I discovered above, Gammage Flowers also used to be a general store and a drug store. Could either of these meet the 'hardware' criterion, if in existence at the time?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:40:29 PM by rkay »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »
Hi rkay,
To clarify, I posted before Gibbons made an amendment to include Richmond and Adelaide Streets.  I noted that Wallace Hardware was 2 blocks away from Waterloo St.,  but thought it was worth including.

The Waterloo/Oxford intersection was made up of either gas stations or drug stores in 1968 and to the present.  Before 1968, the SW corner was Flitton's grocery store.
It may have been possible to buy batteries at all of these establishments, as well as any variety store in the area. It was just my own interpretation to not include them as Hardware Stores. ( Nor do I recall that they had a separate section for hardware merchandise).  But that is certainly open for interpretation.

It would be great if you could find old phone book listings for 1969/1970 at the London Room.  It was difficult for us to remember the stores, once we looked outside of our neighbourhood.

BTW..you must have a chair with your name on it at the library's London Room :-)

Have Faith

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »
Ha ha, I do always sit in the same seat. :)

And did today. Managed to drop in there before the library closed tonight to look at the 1967-69 phone books (on microfiche, of course) to follow up. To make a long story short, I didn't find any listings for hardware stores on Waterloo anywhere. What I did find:

- there was Lumb's Hardware Store at 785 Adelaide (just slightly north of Oxford, almost at the corner)

- Gammage Flowers at 747 Waterloo was in fact Drover's IDA Drug Store at the time. Could they have had a hardware section?

-along those lines, Wilton Pharmacy was at 879 Waterloo at Grovesnor, north of Oxford, but I understand that was strictly an old-style pharmacy rather than the more generalized type drug store we have now, so I don't know if it had batteries or necessarily sold what could be referred to as 'hardware', unless someone could tell me differently.

-started thinking that maybe 'hardware' might also mean radio/electric parts, but nothing conclusive there either. There was Jones & Hare Electric at 404 Pall Mall (at Colborne), and also L-X TV & Radio Service ("specializing in European makes"), but that's past Adelaide at 991 Oxford. There was also Juba Hardware Store at 996 Oxford, for that matter, but really, this area is getting beyond anything that could be called Waterloo at this point.

So I don't know; the "Waterloo St." and "hardware store" aspects don't really seem to be pointing towards a conclusive match. All I can think is that one of those criteria must be slightly different than described. Either it wasn't quite a hardware store, or the actual location must be somewhat mis-described and be farther away from Waterloo. A little confusing.

I'm tending to favour Wallace Home Hardware (being the closest to Waterloo), and Drover's Drug Store (being accurate location-wise) as the most likely options, but it would be nice to get some clarification somehow. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:52:04 PM by rkay »

gibbons

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »
rkay and Have Faith,

Seriously...you guys are amazing!

Gibbons

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »
Having read the recent article in the LFP about the 37 year old cold case and the OPP's refusal to assist in an independent inquiry, why would anyone assist police?  Clearly this case wasn't properly investigated to begin with so why wouldn't the OPP hand over information if for no other reason than to get it off their books?  Reflects negatively  on them no matter how you look at it and I suppose that's the problem.  There are far too many cold cases in the London area and certainly some with similarities.  The various police forces don't share information even amongst themselves.  How does this help the community at large?  It doesn't and it's our tax dollars that pay them.  I'm mad as hell!

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »
Just so everyone's up to speed on what jensen's referring to, I also posted this in Karen Caughlin's thread on the board here:

The police are trained from the get-go to never say 'sorry', so I'm not surprised in the least they would refuse to admit mistakes or wrongdoing, or allow themselves to be seen as not doing their job. Infuriating.

Here's links to the articles below; I don't think the London Free Press actually printed these in the paper and are available only online. I'll post jpegs of a printed copy of each though in case the links disappear.

"Murdered girl's family: Cops botched investigation" (May 31, 2011): http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2011/05/31/18216096.html

"OPP Nixes Murder Review" (June 1, 2011):  http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/06/01/18221536.html

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
Considering Frankie is the whole reason I came to this board in the first place, and the articles posted here inspired me to work on the other case threads and contribute the same, I feel remiss in not adding more to Frankie's thread here. While most of the main information is covered, I think there's a few LFP pieces out there that would be good to add, for the sake of completeness. I'm sure there's more and will try to find them.

Here's one I stumbled on today, from April 20, 1968:

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks rkay for that article.  I've always wondered what that "good lead" was that LE seemed hopeful about.  It is so disappointing to know that it was obviously important enough for them to make a public announcement, and then to never hear another word about it.  Makes you wonder if it was proven fruitless or if they couldn't get hard evidence to arrest somebody.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »
It makes me wonder if it was all just a story to make people think they had something.

I drive past the corner of Hyde Park and Riverside often. There is an older home on the north west corner that must have been there then. Between Riverside and Valetta... maybe two houses that would have been there then but that's it. Going west on Riverside, there has always been the remnants of an old fence. Concrete posts and the odd stone pillar kind of thing... built of river rocks. Which house did the field the kids cut through belong to? There were reports of the kids being chased... was it the farmer trying to get the kids off the property? It just seems odd that there was this going on yet the police did nothing

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »
It makes me wonder if it was all just a story to make people think they had something.

I drive past the corner of Hyde Park and Riverside often. There is an older home on the north west corner that must have been there then. Between Riverside and Valetta... maybe two houses that would have been there then but that's it. Going west on Riverside, there has always been the remnants of an old fence. Concrete posts and the odd stone pillar kind of thing... built of river rocks. Which house did the field the kids cut through belong to? There were reports of the kids being chased... was it the farmer trying to get the kids off the property? It just seems odd that there was this going on yet the police did nothing

The house on the North West corner of Hyde Park/Riverside belonged to a faamily named Gore. Very nice people. Mr. Gore made a skating rink on his front lawn each year for the neighbourhood children. The old fence and stone pillars were part of the Hazelden Estate...outlining the property boundaries. the field that the children used to get to school was farther north on Hyde Park. there is a clear map posted on this site. the police "did nothing" because other than one time, the principal at the school did not tell them of the many reports of men in the field.
He told us we had wild imaginations that we needed to "rail in".
hope this helps

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »
0713588--Could you tell us more details about these men who were in the field leading to the school?  What did they look like, how many were there, how old were they, did they have weapons, were they serious in trying to catch a child, how many times did this happen, etc.  Did they stop after Frankie disappeared?

It is incredulous that a school principal would accuse different children of making this up.  Do you know if the police thoroughly investigated these claims after Frankie was abducted?  Were the children's claims ever taken seriously?

Thanks,

Have faith

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up. I have seen the map but wasn't sure which home would have owned the land itself. Thank you VERY much for clearing up the stone pillar question as well. I've always wondered that. I should look up some history on the estate.

It seems that Frankie's murder not only brought about the Block Parents and new attendance policies but perhaps made principals accountable for their students. When I was in school, if something was reported or suspected, the school had 24 hours to report it to the police.

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2011, 06:06:37 AM »
The estate was known as the "Little Estate".  It has a very interesting history. Have fun with your research.

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Have Faith,
Your questions have spawned a rather lengthy, but necessary reply. I'm sorry, but I hope I can draw a picture clearly enough with words, that in your mind's eye, you can walk along the pathway through the telling.

I reported that men were lurking in the field three times to the principal. I know that mine were not the only reports. We had all seen them and we all knew to be watchful. On the three occasions that I witnessed, there were no visible weapons involved. Each time it was a single man. I cannot say whether it was the same man or not. I cannot say if his intentions were to catch a child, he could have been an exhibitionist, only he would know that.

The first two times I reported seeing a man lurking, nothing was done. I was told to "rein in" my imagination (sorry for the previous typo). The third time was different. I was in the seventh grade, walking to school with two younger children (Frankie's age) from the neighbourhood. We entered the pathway from Hyde Park Road. To our right, the path was long grass. To our left was bush and scrub. The pathway winded into the scrub, down a slope to a creek. Ahead,was  a small forest. We crossed the creek and went up the slope on the other side. At the top of the slope,  on our right, was tall grass. On our left, the forest. Just ahead, the pathway veered left towards the forest into a treed scrubby area. After this thicket, we knew that the pathway would emerge from the thicket to a field all the way to the school.

We knew that some of our friends were behind us because we saw them as we left Hyde Park Road and heard them laughing, so we decided to hide there in the last thicket and jump out to scare them. I crouched at the back with the younger ones in front of me and we waited very quietly. It wasn't long until I heard a noise behind me. I turned around to see a crouched man, no more than seven feet away. I screamed "Run" and we ran as fast as we could to school and the principal's office. He could see how frightened we were. The police were called and when they arrived, the principal and two officers left the school on foot. We were told they hadn't found anything and we heard nothing more about it.

From a young person's point of view, It is difficult to say how old this stalker was. He was crouched and so I can't even say how tall. He was wearing what I would describe as a uniform...short, green jacket, matching pants and a cap. He was fair skinned with dark hair and eyebrows. After Frankie's disappearance, I understand that the neighbourhood children were driven to school. Those of us who had gone on to high school no longer used the path but walked the longer route up Hyde Park to Oxford Street. As to whether the police investigated our reports in more depth, I can only hope that they did.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »
Thank you 071358 for relating your first hand experience with this predator.  What a terrifying tale.

Around the same time as Frankie's abduction, it was reported by a poster on the "If you grew up in London" face book page that a man referred to as the "Candy Man" had been stalking students at Oak Park elementary school, which, as you know, was located nearby.  I am trying to locate the post, but I recall he drove a white van, and a warning note was sent home to parents. Chickapey can verify or correct me on this.  The green uniform you mention made me think of the white van.

I would have to imagine that the police would have thoroughly investigated the experience that you had, once Frankie went missing, although I am surprised that you weren't re-interviewed.  I thought it odd that the media reported about the men on the trail, but never expounded on it.  Perhaps they were silenced by LE, as it was part of their investigation.

Thanks again for your post.

Have faith