Author Topic: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 150018 times)

chickapey

• View Profile
Re: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #300 on: July 13, 2014, 07:29:26 AM »
Happy Birthday Frankie.  xx

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 15, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »
While this thread is on Frankie Jensen, Glenda Tedball  is also mentioned.  I found this article on Glenda, her murder has been solved.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.true-crime/qHTXjjHIKV8

The following appears courtesy of the 9/27/99 Canadian Press news wire:
Sep 27, 1999

Arrest made in 30-year-old case

LONDON, Ont. (CP) - A man has been charged with first-degree murder in
the case
of a southwestern Ontario teenager who disappeared on Halloween more
than 30
years ago.

Glenda Tedball was 16 years old in 1967 when she went missing from her
home
near Thedford, about 45 kilometres northwest of London, on Oct. 31.

A body was never found but police are continuing to search for one.

The arrest of 66-year-old Edward Gratton, of London, on Friday is the
result of
an ongoing joint investigation by the Ontario Provincial Police and
London city
police known as Project Angel.

Project Angel is looking into 20 unsolved murders in southwestern
Ontario
dating between to 1956 and 1983.

The arrest of Gratton for the 1967 murder is the ``first significant
development'' for the police task force since its formation three years
ago,
said London police Chief Al Gramolini.

He said he is ``very pleased we've been able to successfully conclude
one of
those cases, not only for the community, but the families involved.''

Tedball went missing from her family farm home after going out for a
walk in
the morning. She had been home sick from classes at North Middlesex
District
High School in Parkhill, near Thedford, and was last seen walking toward
the
woods on the 50-hectare farm.

Despite exhaustive searches and pleas from her family, no trace of the
teen was
ever found.

Neighbours reported police were digging Sunday at part of the old
foundation of
the farmhouse near Parkhill, once owned by Tedball's family.

The farmhouse burned down some time after Glenda's disappearance and was
never
replaced.
After the house fire, the family sold the farm and it has since been
used only
for crops.

Project Angel went public with its investigations two years ago when it
announced it was starting to gather DNA and other forensic evidence from
the
Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto.

Since then, officers have interviewed families and witnesses and made
public
appeals for tips.

Gratton, who recently moved to London from Belleville, grew up in
Thedford,
about 10 kilometres from where Glenda Tedball lived, his brother Louis
Gratton
of Stratford said last night.

Gratton was to appear in a London court today. (London Free Press)
----------------------------------------------------------
  The following four news articles all appear courtesy of the London
Free Press
newspaper:

Tuesday, September 28, 1999

A list of cases under review in Project Angel police effort

By ROXANNE BEAUBIEN, Free Press Crime Reporter

The list of cases being reviewed by Project Angel, a joint effort by
OPP and

factsfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
Would like to get started on identifying some of the people and places in rkay's posted pictures. From page #15, Reply #214, rkay posted 9 pictures. Picture #3 and picture #4 are similar although in reverse order because in #3 the group has moved further south toward the Thames River. The two gentlemen walking side by side in both pictures are the Ward brothers.....Hubert in the white knit coat and striped stocking hat and Pat in his brown duffle coat. At this time Pat is the head Greenskeeper at the adjacent Thames Valley Golf Course and Hubert is the head Greenskeeper at Fanshawe Golf Course. The Ward family were the original settlers from Ireland in the mid-1800's of much of the land in this area, including the land that became Thames Valley Golf Course. Pat and Hubert were the fourth generation from the original settlers. Hubert lived @ ****Riverside Drive and Pat lived on Palmtree Drive. The two story farmhouse where Hubert lived can be clearly seen in the cropped aerial photo from 1967. The farmhouse is located in that small loop of a driveway that can be seen just off Riverside Drive and directly east of the Jensen's house. The Wards knew just about everything that had ever occurred in West London.
  The 5th picture looks south on Hyde Park Road and has the name Wm. Pillsworth *** on the mailbox. Mr. Pillsworth passed away just a few weeks ago. He was an employee of the Recreation Department of the Public Utilities Commission. If you stand where this picture was taken in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees, it is amazing how things now are identical due to the long lived oak and spruce trees. Those two tall spruce trees in the center of the photo and that form the backdrop when you are teeing off on #15 of the Classic Course at Thames Valley, are still there.
  The most noticeable feature of pictures #6 and #7 is the row of tall spruce trees in the background that lined the driveway to the majestic Hazelden Estate, summer home to the Little family. These pictures both aim directly west. Some of these spruce trees still exist.
  The 8th picture shows the back of Pat Ward on the extreme right side of the picture. Pat's car, a 1967 or 1968 grey Impala with a black roof is parked along Riverside Drive facing east. We used to call it the "Great White Shark". Anyone who ever worked for Pat would understand the reasons why.
  In Reply #250 on page 17 the first picture, I believe, includes Norm Crossan on the left smoking a cigarette. Norm was great friends with Hubert Ward but not necessarily with Pat Ward. Norm owned all the farmland near the corner of Oxford and Wonderland, including for example the land where Westgate Honda is located. Needless to say Norm died a wealthy man.
  The next picture shows Hubert Ward looking at the map with the picture of Frankie in the corner. It is not surprising to see Hubert giving directions.......he was a "take charge guy". Hubert had bushy eyebrows, big hands and needed his black rimmed glasses from Sears to see much of anything. The inspector looks like a big guy also but look at the size of Hubert's hands compared to the average sized hands of the fellow taking notes.

***street addresses removed
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:17:42 PM by debbiec »

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »
This is fantastic information Factsfirst... I wonder if Rkay can go back and modify the posts to include your names and descriptions

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 21, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »
Wow Factsfirst this is awesome information you have written for us. Thank you

factsfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
It is February so just a few thoughts about Frankie's case:
1. How far did Frankie have to walk to school? Not far, just over a kilometer.....best guess 1200 meters.
2. For how much of that distance was he not in plain view of a house? Not far either....perhaps 110 meters or less than 10% of the way.
3. Where did Scott Leishman live? At **** Valleyview Road.
4. How far is that from where Frankie was found? 3.8 kilometers.
5. How far was Scott's house from Thorndale? Very close, just 2.4 kilometers west of the intersection of King Street[Thorndale Road] and the railroad tracks.
6. Where did Frank O'Shaunessy live? [His house was where the phone call was made to the authorities once Frankie had been found]. ****.
7. How do you know that? It seems the address was never published but there are a lot of reasons that I think that was his house. 1. It matches the work of individuals on this site. 2. It matches the London Free Press description of the river flowing through "open fields" @ 4mph. 3. It is six times closer than any other farmhouse in the area at that time. 4. Aerial photos from the County at that time show how close it was to Frankie's discovery site and islands in the river are visible closeby. 5. Frank's property was clearly on the west side of the river given the photo of the discovery site.
8. How long did Frank live there? Not long, from 1967 to 1973.

9. How many canoeists passed within a few feet of Frankie's body during the "Bunny Bundle Canoe Race" on the Sunday before he was discovered? Almost 200 given that pictures of the race show 2 paddlers in almost every canoe. There were 101 watercraft entered. Frank O'Shaunessy also saw the object from the bank on the Sunday which turned out to be Frankie.
10. Do you think Frankie's body was dumped off the Plover Mills bridge? I don't know but what strikes me is that the last two January's I have crossed that bridge and it is solid ice. No open water anywhere to be seen in either direction. The river is so much smaller up there than it is in London after a few creeks and the South Branch have joined the flow. It freezes over very easily. It was bitterly cold in the winter of 1968.
11. Does anyone remember Alton Jeffries from RR1 Thorndale who drowned in a boating accident @ Long Point in 1969?

****street addresses removed

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:52:12 PM by debbiec »

Jesa

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
You are not forgotten Frankie. Thinking of you & your amazing family today.

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »
Thanks so much Jesa and everyone on these boards for your interest in all these cases.  Time passes yet the search for answers goes on.  Many of us share the loss and are also grateful for the friends we've found here.   On this day I choose to remember the smiling little boy who loved to dance...dance on Frankie!

factsfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
I agree Jesa and jensen. Today is only a day to remember the good things. Frankie was a little boy who got to toboggan down the hills at Thames Valley Golf course, visit his parent's homeland in Denmark, visit Slippery the Sea Lion at Storybook Gardens and experience one of the greatest gifts of all which is a wonderful and loving family.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:03:20 PM by factsfirst »

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:09 PM »
Obviously I didn't know Frankie but when I think of him, I envision his photo where you can almost hear the laugh. He looks like such a practical joker... the sense of humour fantastic and a big heart. I agree... dance on Frankie

EJay

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
I knew who Frankie was, I went to the same school and was a grade higher then him, my sister hung with his sister a few times, I'm very much know a lot about what went on, tell you a story, at the north hill of Hyde Park side side road before Oxford Street there was this house just at the bottom of the hill that was very clapped together with what ever they could keep it up, I remember this time when I was hanging out with a friend of mine and Frankie happened to be tagging along, he mostly along with the friend of mine and we were passing the house thou I had a bike and was struggling up the hill, as that point, Frankie went onto that property and there were No Trespassing signs on the property and we yelled at him that he was on private property and Frankie just was sticking out his tongue and making face as thou that's how he was showing off, walk around and climbing junk and stuff, the funny thing was that there was a very tall and sorta look like he was a late age teen boy, he was stretched out on the Little porch steps of the the house just at him laughing about it and I thought that was pretty weird, me and my Little friend just ignored it and started struggling up the hill with our bikes or maybe I just had a bike, I know for sure that house had something to do with the missing and murder of Frankie Jensen, the property had lots of junk in and beside the driveway, and I notice that they always had old cars all the time and I assumed who ever there worked on car somehow as a job maybe, as I looked at the map of where Jensens body was found, the water runs away from Plovers Road Bridge, as I think him was dumped from the bridge possibly at night and the was in 1968, I checked around there and I notice Saunders Autoworkers is not too far up stream which has something to do with cars and Saunders was established in 1964, As in my thought, I know for the fact that that house  had something to do with Frankie's murder.

factsfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2015, 04:52:05 AM »
Hi EJay, always intriguing to see a post from someone who knew Frankie personally. Could you look at the aerial photo posted on Reply #290 and identify which of the two houses [which are clearly visible on the west side of Hyde Park Sideroad] that you are describing? One is very close to the Waterworks access road used to maintain the deep well and the other is further north toward Oxford Street. Although both houses are long gone now, you can walk down there now and easily see exactly where both were. I believe other posters on this site would know the names of the occupants of each house.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:27:27 PM by factsfirst »

EJay

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
Hi Factsfirst as I was try to say is it was the house at the bottom of the hill on the west side of Hyde Park Side Rd as of the next house it was a little white cabin cottage type with a bit of green on it, cute little hide away thou an very old lady lived there alone, she was a very nice lady, I went to her door and knocked and ask her for a glass of water thou at that time a lot of people west of HydePark Side Road were still on well water, but anyways the house between the little cabin house and the hill on the west side, as before you go up the hill towards oxford St its just to the west, they always had a different car and lots of junk around the lot, windows were fix with old used windows.
     ask you a Q are you from the Oakridge area in the time period, did you know the Robinson or the Johnstons at that time, I lived on Hibiscus Ave at the time, also Factsfirst do you know any  way to find out who the adult family were or the last names, that would be nice :o)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:49:22 PM by EJay »

EJay

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2015, 09:20:23 PM »
Hi EJay, always intriguing to see a post from someone who knew Frankie personally. Could you look at the aerial photo posted on Reply #290 and identify which of the two houses [which are clearly visible on the east side of Hyde Park Sideroad] that you are describing? One is very close to the Waterworks access road used to maintain the deep well and the other is further north toward Oxford Street. Although both houses are long gone now, you can walk down there now and easily see exactly where both were. I believe other posters on this site would know the names of the occupants of each house.

factsfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 25, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
Hi EJay, in answer to your questions; yes I did grow up in this time period but no, I did not live in Oakridge Acres. I do however have some strong connections to this specific area. I like your colored boxes.....they make it very clear about the houses you are talking about. Just for accuracy you might want  to move the green box on Hazel Ave. The Jensen's house is difficult to see but it is the third one south from Riverside and is directly south of the house with the light colored roof. Jensen's must have had dark shingles. There are many people on this site who grew up closeby so it is only a matter of time before someone posts the occupant's names of the two houses in the valley of Hyde Park Sideroad.