Author Topic: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 141762 times)

Have faith

• View Profile
Re: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »
Gibbons: Thanks for posting the media articles.

Can you believe that scumbags would make crank calls to the family of a missing child? How evil can people get. :-(

gibbons

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 10:28:07 AM »
The credit goes elsewhere for this information; however, hopefully its availability is of value.

gibbons

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »
Attached are three more LFP articles published during the time when the search continued for Frankie.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:40:55 AM by gibbons »

gibbons

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »
Attached are two articles relating to Frankie being found, and the continued search for more clues.

gibbons

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »
Article (1991) about the Block Parent Program which, in Canada, was launched as a pilot program in London in the wake of Frankie's case (1968).   Subtitle of article (which is partially missing) reads : " It often takes a tragedy, such as a missing child, to spark interest in the program".  Note: towards the end of the article, reference is made to Frankie's case.  More about the history of the Block Parent program, and its role in helping to improve child safety, can be found at the Block Parent Website. 

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
Hi folks, I've been keeping up with this board for some time, but have only just decided to jump in to the discussion.

I'm very interested in making more information available on London's cold cases, in the hope of drawing more attention to them.  While I'm primarily concerned with Frankie's case, clearly there are connections with the others that need to be further explored.  To that end,  I've been doing some digging at t the library for more articles on many of the Project Angel cases and want to share them. At the very least, I'd like to see a more rounded sense of the victims so they're not just names on a list. They deserve not to be forgotten.

The number of articles recently posted for Frankie added an incredible amount of info where before there was almost nothing online. I'll be posting much of what I've gathered in the next while in each of the various threads, but since Frankie's disappearance is what brought me here in the first place, I'll start here by adding this summary article about Frankie from 1990.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:31:59 PM by rkay »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 02:41:36 AM »
See attachments
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:54:55 PM by Chris »

wbri

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
The area around Hyde Park Road at the time of Frankie's abduction was all bush, with a few houses.  Hyde Park ran north from Riverside, down and then up a steep hill towards Oxford.  There was a path going in to the bush on an easterly course which ran, as I recall, south of a pond called "Fergie's Pond" by all of the local kids.  From there it joined up to Valetta.  It was a reasonable distance from Hyde Park Road to Valetta through the woods, and as a child, I wouldn't have wanted to walk it alone.

A contingent of several children including Frankie would walk from the Hyde Park/Riverside corner and Hazeldon Park, a quite new and upscale subdivision on the s/w corner.  Westdale School morning bell rang at 9 a.m.

Frankie was a friendly and mischeivous boy, well-liked at school and good looking.

I am given to believe that he was late for school that morning, which is why he had no companions.  Perhaps someone he was acquainted with offered him a ride in a car, was the question in our household.  Because if the abductor would be on foot, somehow they had to get him quite a distance away.  Because there were so few houses along Hyde Park, a car parked along it would stand out as a bit unusual.

If he was already at Valetta, why would he go with anyone in a car?  Unless he knew them and they cooked a story?

I would like to find out about this as a fellow Westdale student at the time.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »
That adds some insight, thanks! Yes, from what I understand he was late that morning because of a problem with his winter coat zipper, so he had to wear a different coat, and he missed walking with the rest of the kids.

Chris, where did the 'unsolved' document testimony come from? That's a solid witness account.

Having made the walk that Frankie would have followed, I realized it's quite a distance. It took me about 18 minutes from his home to the school, and that's with my adult stride. Granted, the topography now is quite different with the subdivision roads added, but it's safe to assume it would be somewhere about that. Very little time of that journey is spent on Riverside Drive, before turning onto the long length of the Hyde Park Road.

I guess the question boils down to whether his attacker lured him over and into a car along the road, or grabbed him from the path and took him to a waiting vehicle.

Certainly on Hyde Park Road, assuming at that moment there were no other vehicles coming, it would've been easier to transport him away. If he was confronted somewhere on the shortcut through the field, though, there'd be less chance of being witnessed. It's possible he may have been surprised by someone hiding along the deserted pathway, who could've been aware it was a common route for schoolchildren and managed to find one separate from the rest. Still, anyone waiting there for such an opportunity would run the risk of being noticed by the other schoolkids who used that shortcut a few minutes earlier. And there would be the issue of having a car parked nearby.  Not to mention, as the account Chris shared states, it was very cold that day, which might've been a deterrent for the attacker to just sit and wait for the right opportunity. But obviously, who knows what that person might be willing to put up with.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:00:36 PM by rkay »

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
Here's a link to a news report about the search for Frankie from the local TV station at the time, from the Block Parent site:

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/on-line-exhibits/cfpl/videos/1968/3.aspx

Near the end of the clip, you can see the stretch of Hyde Park Road Frankie would have walked, which was much more barren in '68 than now (though there is still a long empty area).

(What frustrates me about the clip is that it shows at this point the police were looking for a missing or lost boy, rather than for traces of an abduction.  I wonder what they might've found if they'd had a different focus.)

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
See attachments

Also, thanks for the map, Chris. Until I clicked on it I thought it was the same one included in the LFP article above.

So, according to that, Frankie would've cut across a lawn or empty lot to get up to the intersection of Riverside and Hyde Park? In which case he hardly spent any time on Riverside Drive at all. Seems strange that the police would think he disappeared from Riverside.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:13:14 PM by rkay »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »
I can not open .docx files is there a way you can make it a pdf? Sorry, I would like to read what is there.

Done! I added a pdf of the docx

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 07:10:53 AM »
In one of the first newspaper clippings posted on here, one of the students mentions that they have been chased in the field on the way to school by some man.   Once with a club.   I hope the cops looked into this guy the kids seem to know about.   It also says they told the teachers whenever it happened. 
It seems to me that it could be someone like that who murdered little Frankie.    Unbalanced, and waiting for the opportunity to grab an unsuspecting lone child.

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
reply to wbri and rkay

gibbons

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
Does anyone remember much about the gravel pit on the west side of Old Hyde Park Road?  Would the road/driveway leading down into it be accessible to the public (in winter).  If a car/truck was parked in there, would it have been visible to people living in the houses across the road from it.  If so, would the presence of a vehicle there in the morning be considered unusual? 

Also, did kids going to Oakridge High School take the short cut through the field as well, or did they generally continue on Hyde Park Road up to Oxford Street?