Author Topic: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 146987 times)

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:18:31 AM »
 1968 ? Frankie Jensen, 9, of London, disappeared on his way to Westdale
public school on Feb. 9. His body was found two months later in the Thames
River near Thorndale. He had a fractured skull and was partially clothed. It is
unclear if he was sexually assaulted.

goNgo

• View Profile
Re: Frankie Jensen - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
Key points from a London Free Press article dated Saturday Apr 13, 1968 titled, "Frankie found dead - police hunt killer":

Frankie's body was found the day before (Apr 12) floating face down in the Thames River north of Thorndale, about 18 miles from his home.  He had been missing from his London home at 382 Hazel Ave. since February 9 after leaving home at 8:30 p.m. for Westdale Public School, where he was a grade 4 pupil.  It was the pathologist's opinion that Frankie had been in the river for the full time that he had been missing.

He was clad only in an undershirt and green plaid shirt and his body was badly decomposed.

His body was found by two men canoeing from St. Marys to Fanshawe Lake.  The body was bobbing in about 3 feet of water, tangled in a wire fence.  The location was at the rear of Frank O'Shaughnessy's farm at RR 1 Thorndale, about 1 1/2 miles north of the Thorndale bridge and 1/2 mile off gravelled West Nissouri Township Concession Rd 1.  Where the body was found, the river is about 45 feet wide and flows southward at about 4 miles an hour, through open fields.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:51:16 PM by goNgo »

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
Key points from an article the following Monday (April 15/68) titled, "Hunt sex-killer but deny murders in London linked":

There was some speculation as to whether or not Frankie's case was related to Jacqueline Dunleavy's murder.  Net result....too soon to say.

- When FJ went missing, he was wearing high, lace-up boots.  Police didn't think there was any way the boots would have come off in the water.  They believed that the killer removed FJ's clothes.

- Police refused to release his cause of death -- just saying he wasn't stabbed or shot.

-  Frankie had no relatives in the Thorndale area

-  Police were combing the riverbank upstream from where he was found.  They don't know where he went into the river.  They particularly wanted to find the rest of his clothing, his high green boots and his grey lunch box.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:48:59 PM by goNgo »

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
goNOgo
Just want you to know that the more eyes looking into these old cases, the better....much appreciated.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »
Jensen --  you don't know how relieved I am to hear you say that. 

After I posted that information, I started to fret that this might be upsetting to the family.  After all, this is really what it's all about.  People taken away from the ones who love them.  What is the good of us 'poking around' on these cases if the main result is more distress for the families?  What right do I have to do that?

I believe in a caring community, and I believe that is why most of the people on this forum are here.

Thank you for letting us know that you are o.k. with us researching Frankie's terrible fate and trying to get the facts out there in case someone can use them.  If I ever step across any 'line' please give me a slap (figuratively, of course!).

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:07:33 AM »
goNogo
I'm glad I've eased your concern.  At this point I am the only one in the family that knows about this board.  I will tell my siblings and Mom about you and I can tell you they will be pleased to hear that there are caring individuals like all of you "poking" around Frankie's case.  His is a cold case and for us, the sadness would be in his being forgotten.  The one thing I know we all got from him was strength and a tighter bond as a family...rare in these cases...dig away.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 07:25:15 AM »
jensen, I have a question for you if you are comfortable answering it.  Do you know what route Frankie normally took to school?  Did he turn west on Riverside and then head north up Hyde Park Rd?  If so where would he have cut across to get to the school?

OR, did he turn east on Riverside and cut through the subdivision on the north side of Riverside?  (I don't know what that area was like back in 1968, and how far over development spread at that time.)

Did anyone report seeing him walking to school that particular morning?  If so, how far along his route was he?

Thanks very much.

N.

gibbons

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
Massive police and civilian search launched for Frankie Jensen.  London Free Press headlines, the day after Frankie goes missing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:43:20 AM by gibbons »

gibbons

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »
The previous posting contained an attachment with the London Free Press coverage (Saturday Feb. 10th, 1968) of Frankie's disappearance.  Hopefully it is legible when you use the viewer that  is used by this forum (probably need to go to magnification).

Attached here is a subsequent LFP article , which I believe would have come out early the next week (perhaps on Monday Feb. 12th).  The article was scanned in two parts (top and bottom of article - with "a" being the top portion and "b" the bottom portion).  The article contains the answer to the query of which route Frankie took to school.  Hyde Park Road was used; students used a pathway to walk from Hyde Park Road to Valetta.   Apparently, the lack of sidewalks in the subdivision itself made Hyde Park Road the preferred walking route for students.  In the previous posting, if you read the LFP article there are several interviews with students in the area that partially describe this pathway & area.  Also some brief descriptions of other incidents that had occurred in the area near the walking route to this school and the nearby high school (Oakridge).

Some additional postings will follow with other relevant LFP articles.

gibbons

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »

The news article that is attached here is by George Soteroff, published in The Telegram, Toronto, on Wednesday Feb. 14th, 1968.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:22:49 AM by gibbons »

gibbons

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:55:28 AM »

The issue of the safety of the school route was a key aspect of a report in the London Free Press on February 16th (attached here); also published on the same day is the discussion on some school issues (which turned out to be irrelevant, but gives an idea what folks might have been thinking at the time)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:21:13 AM by gibbons »

gibbons

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »
Some additional news coverage while the search continued for Frankie.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
Lots of great information here, Gibbons.  Thank you for going through the trouble of posting them.

Regarding the route...I can't imagine how scary it must have been for Frankie, to be alone and then grabbed, with no one around to help him.  What are the odds of that?? This it pretty close to where Jacqueline Dunleavey was found.  I'm presuming that the perp was on foot, waiting for a 'straggler'.  This would also make it likely that he was a local and quite familiar with the area as opposed to someone just driving by.

Things I would like to know:  What time did classes start in the morning?  Does anyone know if the elementary school and the high school started around the same time in the morning?  Would high school students have already been in class?  I am trying to get a sense of how much traffic there would have been along Hyde Park Rd at the time Frankie disappeared.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »
One of the articles above states that Frankie was seen by a neighbour turning off onto a path towards the school.  Where could someone have intercepted him after that pathway and before he reached school property?

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »
I presume (and this may be an incorrect presumption) that back in 1968 Hyde Park Rd went 'straight'.  If you look at google maps, and head south from Oxford, you will see that 'Old Hyde Park Rd' goes straight, but that "new" Hyde Park Rd curves to the east, avoiding the lower lying area near the pond.  So was Frankie walking up that 'Old Hyde Park Rd'?  If so, the path would have been longer and uphill.

Does anyone recall what was along this stretch of Hyde Park rd back at that time?  Was it Old Hyde Park Rd?  Were there many houses? What was the area along the path like?  How long was the path? where did it start?  where did it come out at the other end?

Is there anyone here that was familiar with that specific area at the time?