Author Topic: Helga Beer - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 14104 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Helga Beer - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »
Helga Beer is pictured below.

click to enlarge

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
Thanks to Have Faith and debbiec for posting the info from the London Police Service website and and the victim's photos to the various threads.

The addition of these victims to the police website indicates greater emphasis on welcoming public focus on these cases.   :)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
You're welcome (for my part) I was happy to be able to help. 

Thanks also to chickapey for providing the links.  :)

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »
The reporter would like to talk to as many family members as possible I've contacted Helga's family to let them know.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
 I wish that the historical, unsolved London cases weren't divided up between London Police and the OPP.  London was a small city back then, and 99% of the victims were Londoners.  If their bodies were discovered just outside of the London City boundary the OPP took over the cases.  For example in the case of Jackie Dunleavy--if her body was located on the other side of the street--it would have been an OPP case, not a London Police case.

Many times the London Police would work on a missing person case for several weeks and lose it to the OPP once the body was found. We have read about the lack of cooperation between Police forces at that time (competitive ego BS) and there was no provincial reporting program in place for sharing murder details with other jurisdictions.  Who knows--it might be the same today.

The London Police and OPP finally came together for the 3 year, joint Project Angel reinvestigation of these London cases in the late 1990's.  I think they should continue to be a joint venture in how they treat those 20 cases, especially since some involve at least one serial killer.

Chick--we know that this recent London Free Press article doesn't begin to touch the surface of the London cases.  Good to see that you are "on it".  :-)

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
That's exactly what the discussion was in the Donna Awcock group today. Her sister was getting loads of emails asking why Donna's name was not on the list. She had to explain it was not a London Police case. This has frustrated me before in several of the cases here... these kids and women were abducted from London but found elsewhere. Why not link them altogether? A central database for tips and information. The one that is glaringly the best example is Lynda White... from Burlington, abducted in London, wallet found in the dump (not applicable because it had been previously lost) and then found in OPP jurisdiction. If you knew something and wanted to finally provide information, most people would go to London police because of where she was last seen... not see her name and assume it was solved. Donna's sister still gets people saying they thought her case had been solved. Scary stuff.

George Fayne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
Some additional details (from Murder City):

• she was beaten with a large fist and strangled
  • her murder likely did not take place in the car
  • she engaged in a sexual act (whether consensual or not is hard to determine) before the murder
  • she had been redressed
  • the driver had backed into the parking space (rather than parking forward)
  • the killer removed her bottoms, etc. so that she would be discovered exposed
  • a potential suspect fled to Copenhagen
  • there was plenty of DNA evidence at the scene, which was, unfortunately, not preserved
  • this case has serial indicators
  • Michael Arntfield classifies this as a "disorganized" murder

I wonder if Helga's murder may be linked with any cases in Northern Europe...

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
Helga's case is finally getting some attention... in the news. The people leaving and never been heard from again is worrying

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
Helga's case is finally getting some attention... in the news. The people leaving and never been heard from again is worrying

Thanks Chick--here is the article.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4362935/who-killed-helga-beer-london-cold-case/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:44:33 PM by Have faith »