Author Topic: Lynda White - Burlington, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 64156 times)

goNgo

• View Profile
Re: Lynda White - Burlington, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
O.K., I can clear up my earlier questions about Lynda's wallet.  It turned out to be a red herring, as noted in the following article:

Hamilton Spectator (Ontario, Canada)
February 7, 1998 Saturday Final Edition

1968 murder still haunts friend: Slaying made teen grow up fast

SOURCE: The Spectator

BYLINE: Paul Legall

Pamela Freeman believes she was the last person to see Lynda White alive -- except for the person who murdered her almost 30 years ago.

It was a cold, crisp evening on Nov. 13, 1968. They had just finished writing a French exam at Huron College at University of Western Ontario.

White had suggested they go downtown to one of the student watering holes. They had both graduated from Nelson High School in Burlington and had often socialized in the past. But it was about 8 p.m. and Pamela decided to call it a night. She went back to her residence on campus.

White drifted off into the darkness, never to be seen alive again.

Her skeletal remains were found in wooded area near a tobacco farm outside St. Williams, about four and a half years later. She was partially buried under leaves and branches. There were no clothes or jewelry with the body, which was identified through dental records. Her medical alert bracelet had also disappeared. The killer had left little for the police to work with.

Freeman, 49, who married and moved from Burlington and is living under another name, was one of the first persons to speak to London police, immediately after White's disappearance. She also helped search around the campus and Thames River, and near a house where White lived with two other Burlington students.

Freeman was an important witness because she alerted police that White had returned home and changed her clothes before she disappeared.

The clothes she wore during the French exam were found bunched up under her bed. There was no evidence of a struggle in the bedroom. This suggested she might have known her attacker and gone with him willingly.

All those memories came flooding back this week when she saw White's picture in the newspaper, along with 19 other people who had been murdered in the London area between 1956 and 1983.

The OPP and London city police have established a 15-member task force called Project Angel to re-investigate these cases. The believe that with new forensic techniques, such as DNA analysis and criminal profiling, they have a good chance of linking and solving some of the cases.

For a number of Burlington teenagers like Freeman, White's death was a defining moment in their lives.

They had grown up in wealth and privilege, at the peak of the baby boom, and assumed nothing bad would ever happen to them. They still believed in football heroes and homecoming queens, and seemed safely removed from the rebellion and turmoil of the 1960s.

How could anything bad happen to somebody like White? She came from a close loving family. She was pretty, popular, and extremely athletic. In high school, she had starred on the track team, performed as a cheerleader, and dated a handsome sports star, Gary Daniels. She was also very cautious and sensible and wouldn't have knowingly put herself in a dangerous or vulnerable situation.

"She seems to be frozen in time at 19. Her death seemed to be the beginning of a series of horrible things that would happen (in the youth culture), such as the ritual murder of Sharon Tait (an actress slain by Charles Manson cult members)," Freeman recalled.

She said she felt a compulsion to grow up quickly after her friend's disappearance. She dropped out of university and got married the next year.

"I was never same about trusting people. It was really bizarre not knowing whether there was a killer in our midst, not knowing what happened really affected us," she recalled this week.

Diane Gaudaur was also deeply affected by White's disappearance and death.

She had known White since public school and had also attended Western.

"She used to be shy and quiet and extremely gifted athletically. She really blossomed in grade 13. She dyed her hair blond and let it grow down past her shoulders," Gaudaur recalled.

Now married with three children of her own, Gaudaur gets a creepy feeling when she thinks back about some of the people who were lurking around the campus. She recalled one person who used to drive up and down University Drive, trying to pick up female students.

"It makes sense to me (whoever killed her) was a sexual predator who was a local person."

Burlington lawyer Bill Dunlop, who also knew White from high school, said the story going around at the time was that she'd been "shanghaied" into white slavery because of her stunning looks. There were also reports she had been spotted in various cities and events in North America, including the Mariposa folk festival.

In the 1960s and early 1970s, the festival tended to attract hippies and other counter-culture types.

But Dunlop says White didn't fit that image, despite her long, straight hair and wistful appearance.

"She wasn't a flower child. She was more the prom queen type. She was wholesome and well rounded, not a hippie. But of course, people do change after they go to university," Dunlop said.

Despite all the speculation about White's fate, the first apparent break in the case came in the summer of 1971, when her wallet surfaced in Burlington. It was discovered while workers were excavating a landfill site on Fairview Street. It contained her driver's licence and photos.

Sergeant Frank Banner, who is now retired, said there was speculation at the time that the killer might have planted the wallet in Burlington to throw police off his trail.

It turned out to be a red herring, however, with no connection to her murder.

OPP Inspector Jim Hutchinson said police have since determined that White lost the wallet while she was still in high school. Police also believe it was inadvertently transported to the landfill when soil was excavated from another construction site.

Hutchinson, who works out of London, reviewed the White file in the early 1990s. He re-interviewed many of witnesses and people who were considered suspects in the early stages of the investigation.

He still believes the case can be solved because somebody out there knows something. It's just a question of flushing him out. He also believes the killer had to know the Simcoe area well because of where the body was found.

Although he never knew the victim, Hutchinson admits there is a kind of spell to the case.

"That's the haunting part of it," he said. "You look at that picture in her high school year-book. It's etched in time because everybody around her grew older, but she always stays the same."

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
goNgo--thanks for finding that article.  The particulars of her wallet discovery has never made sense.

HF

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 10:58:02 PM »
I'm not sure what got me thinking about Lynda today. Perhaps it was because I was thinking of my sons' upcoming midterm exams at Western.

What has been niggling at my brain is how far away from London her body was found. If someone was just going to dump her body in a rural area why go so far away? Why specifically in that area? It's not like her body was hidden in such a way as to never be found. It was just under leaves and branches.

In this way it reminds me of Soraya's case.  Her body was also found far from London and under brush. (bark in her case)

We're these girls taken somewhere and held for a while?

So many of these unsolved cases haunt me. 

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 12:43:31 AM »
The comment about the clothes being bunched up under her bed and there being no sign of a struggle seems to hint at the notion that Lynda willingly had sex with whoever she was with and then left with him. I have no idea if that's true or just a wild theory. If she was a cautious person, would Lynda have done this and gone on a road trip spontaneously? Hard to know what to make of it. Other comments indicate Lynda had an interest in going out to a bar that night. When her girlfriend declined, did Lynda accept the invitation of a man to go out? Was it the man who picked her up hitchhiking, the roommate's brother or who?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
From the Hamilton Spectator:
"Freeman was an important witness because she alerted police that White had returned home and changed her clothes before she disappeared.

The clothes she wore during the French exam were found bunched up under her bed. There was no evidence of a struggle in the bedroom. This suggested she might have known her attacker and gone with him willingly."

Leon, I'm not sure how this information translates into Lynda having consensual sex with someone before leaving her apartment.  I picture that she was in a hurry, and when she changed her outfit,  instead of taking the time to hang up her clothes, she tossed them under her bed. 

I find it quite relevant that LE feel that the killer had to know the Simcoe area well, because of where her body was found. 

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, I read too much into it. I guess a young person might just leave their clothes on the floor and for certain people it is in character for them to do so, for others it is not.  Who did Lynda go out with that night or did she go out alone to a bar and would that have been in character? I wonder if they traced the telephone lines for incoming and outgoing phone calls to her home?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:57:28 PM by leonagleant »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
Who was her French teacher? 

jb

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »
From reply 15;

White had suggested they go downtown to one of the student watering holes. They had both graduated from Nelson High School in Burlington and had often socialized in the past. But it was about 8 p.m. and Pamela decided to call it a night. She went back to her residence on campus.

I think this is after she changed, should we not have a clothing description of what she was wearing at this time 8pm?

Someone could have come across her missing clothing and never known it was lost and tossed them.

Who was she left with and WHERE was she left at, what watering hole? I think this would be a starting point.

Was she drinking?, more than usual? Did she puff weed or into experiencing all the drugs that were freely being experienced by many others in that era?

Has anyone seen answers to those questions?

Thanks
Logical

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
I think there is a level of maturity to her murder.  I believe it would be an adult.  Perhaps one of her professors- which  could well be someone whom she had  trust in.

jb
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:30:18 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
There is one point that I feel should be explained.  The fact that Lynda wanted to go to a "watering hole" or bar, is so normal for UWO students. London is a "university" town, and the students have popular bars where everyone meets.  It doesn't suggest that she was a drinker, or had a problem; the bars were and still are a hang out for fellow students. 

I truly think that if Lynda had been in one of these few pubs, someone would have remembered her being there.  I don't think she ever arrived.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
I agree with Have Faith, I also do not think that White made it to any bar that night.
I would like to know if her professors were ever checked out.
I get the impression that only the students were interviewed by police, and not too much was done in the way of professors.
After all, the institution would have a reputation to maintain, and it could well be that police were discouraged from "stepping on toes"
The fact that she was found without clothes, suggests to me that this person is older - and knew her from a distance.
Admired her, and perhaps even watched her closely without it being noticed.

I think she was murdered elsewhere and disposed of in a hurry near that tobacco farm.

quote: "Her skeletal remains were found in wooded area near a tobacco farm outside St. Williams, about four and a half years later. She was partially buried under leaves and branches.

There were no clothes or jewelry with the body, which was identified through dental records. Her medical alert bracelet had also disappeared. The killer had left little for the police to work with.

JB
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:18:38 PM by jellybean »

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »
Could be the article goes into very little detail, you would think if she was a no show that would have been stated in the article.

I do not recall the search area if any, where ever they looked or started searching from may give more details to where she was last seen and by whom, really the statements are so open and vague they leave it open to all of our could be's.

I got the impression that they went to the bar and the girlfriend got tired and went home at 8 alone, got up and she had not returned home, called police but again it is whatever the writer wanted to say or share that we are left to interpret.

Thanks

Logical

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »
Hi Logical,

Her friend had declined the invitation to go to the bar, and returned to her dorm.  She did not live with Lynda, but was able to identify the clothes Lynda threw under her bed, as being the same she wore to the French exam.

see reply#15

modified to add second quote.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:30:55 AM by Have faith »

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
My apologies I reread again and I was way off

Thanks
Logical

DCAK

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
hi,i may have some valuable imformation on Lynda's death and would like to talk to you about it,my name is ##### and i grew up in Burlington,my home phone is #####,thanks and hope to hear from you soon