Author Topic: Douglas Babineau (31) | Moncton (November 1988) Missing  (Read 6021 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Douglas Babineau (31) | Moncton (November 1988) Missing
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
A person was charged with in indignity to a body in relation to this, but no body has ever been found and no person charged in his disappearance.

The police have not made any other information available about this, so there is nothing else to share at this time.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: Douglas Babineau (31) | Moncton (November 1988) Missing
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Makes you wonder though , how they know an indignity happened when they don't have a body or anything kind of strange guess we will have to wait and see.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 07:30:55 AM »
Just wondering where you became aware of this case, Chris.  I live in NB but can't recall ever having heard of it previously.

I agree, eyeswideopen.  It's definitely a strange one.

LostBoyz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »
I am a sister of Doug.

T was a bit  annoyed at the RCMP for not having the case on their  missing person or unsolved murder site, and although being told a few times over the past few years that they were still working on it, and it would be put on their website, nthing happened.

A man who helped move my brother's body, came forward once his daughter was grown and gone. ( Moving a body is referred to in legal terms as creating an indignity to a human body).  He apparently helped move a body which he was 99.9& sure was my brother's, although he did not see the face, but he did see other identifying items that led him to conclude it was my brother.
According to him, the fellow who was charged- and pled guilty- to moving the body, came to his house in the early moring hours, and asked him to help move a jacked deer.  When he got his 4WD to the site of the body, it was wrapped in a tarp, and as they lifted it, my brothers foot fell out.  He was shocked to see it, and mentioned that it was DOug's foot ( he wore distinctive boots, and always with clean white socks).
The guy who had the body then patted his pocket, and said if he knew what was good for him & his family, he would keep his mouth shut.  Which he did for a very long time.

The sad part of the whole thing is that the body could not be found where it was dumped, in dense forseted rural area of NB.  Even using cadaver dogs.

And although he pled guilty, the fellow who had the body, did not have say who the body was when it was a living person, how it became a corpse, or where he left it.

He got a two month suspended sentence for being a good boy and "'fessing up".
And although this guy has a violent streak, he has been happlily living off taxpayers, with his girlfriend , three kids, and now a new granchild- collecting welfare, and getting away with a number of petty crimes.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
Thank you, LostBoyz.  Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your brother.

What a sad story.  The laws are so absolutely ridiculous that this guy should be allowed to get away with this.

If I were you, I would definitely contact the RCMP again and again as the more widely known this story could become, the more likelihood that your brother may be eventually found.  I suspect there may be others as well who may know more than they have been telling to date.  Bringing pressure to bear is about the best hope at this point.

Again, I sympathize with you on your loss.

LostBoyz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
Thanks for your kind words.

We have been in touch with the RCMP, sporadically over the years, but nothing new.  They are courteous, and condescending, and one or two seemed genuinely disappointed that the guy who did the murder got away with it.
But, you have to keep trying to get answers, right?

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 01:02:06 AM »
wow lostboyz that is sickenly the guy who confessed to helping move your brothers body got a tiny slap on the wrist .  I think if the cops had charged him with more he might have given more . Was the one that asked him to help move the body charged and wish I could get my hands on him he would sure talk .  prayers for the family .

LostBoyz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 05:48:28 AM »
The guy who asked for help moving the body,was the one who was charged.  He was the one who we think was the  executioner.
The guy that came forward, said he had nightmares for years, but he was afraid for his family, as the other fellow ( who was charged, and convicted) was a very violent man.
He wasn't charged in  exchange for his testimony. 
Other than hiding the body, he didn't have a role in the murder.  His help earlier in the investigation might have led to a recovery of the body, but it could have also led to harm to this guy's family. Or himself.

SAP

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »
This is horrific Lostboyz. I hope there is some resolve however if anyone else knows anything about this man, they are probably all afrad to speak for fear of harm to self and families.
Possibly this is where a PI could get further than police?

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »
Did your brother's disappearance get very much publicity at the time, LostBoyz?  As I had mentioned above, I do live in NB but do not recall having heard about it until Chris started the thread.

I agree with SAP that anyone who does have information is likely afraid to come forward with it.  Still, someone must know something.  I believe it is possible to contact Crime Stoppers anonymously (although I'm really not certain of that).  Perhaps someone else is aware whether or not this is so?

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

The following article is from Nov 2001:

Police digging for remains of man missing for 13 years

Lee, OliverView Profile

. New Brunswick Telegraph Journal [Saint John, N.B] 01 Nov 2001

Police say they will continue digging until at least Friday in their search for the remains of a man who went missing from Moncton nearly 13 years ago.

The RCMP have been excavating in a remote spot near the intersection of Highway 126 and the New Scotland Road, about 25 kilometres north of Moncton, since Tuesday.

On Wednesday, they began digging at a second site five kilometres north of the first.

While police originally declined to identify the person they are searching for, on Wednesday they said they hope to uncover "evidence or remains" related to the disappearance of Douglas Stewart Babineau.

"We have received a number of tips recently related to Mr. Babineau's disappearance," said RCMP spokesman Const. Mark Gallagher.

"Some came after a series of newspaper stories in early 2000, others have come in through Crime Stoppers. We consider the tips legitimate, and expect to find something as a result of the digging."

Mr. Babineau, then 33, disappeared from a house party in Moncton in the early hours of Nov. 27, 1988.

According to newspaper reports at the time, Mr. Babineau was intoxicated when he left with another man.

The two men were seen later that morning, but Mr. Babineau has not been seen since.

The other man was identified as Ian Murray Berger, now 48. He is five feet, 11 inches tall tall, weighs 150 pounds, has grey/brown hair and green eyes.

He has a scar across his throat and has been known to wear a scruffy, untrimmed greying beard. Mr. Berger, a native of Montreal, speaks English, French and Hebrew.

Mr. Berger disappeared shortly after Mr. Babineau, and at the time, police issued a Canada-wide warrant for his arrest on suspicion of murder.

Mr. Berger was never located and police still want to speak with him.