Author Topic: Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, - London, ON - Murdered - 1969  (Read 38390 times)

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, - London, ON - Murdered - 1969
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:08:50 AM »
1969 ? Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, of London, disappeared from his
Piccadilly Street home June 7. His body was found in a woodlot in London
Township, six kilometres from his home. Police could not determine the cause of
death and there was no evidence of sexual assault.

Woodland

• View Profile
Re: Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, - London, ON - Murdered - 1969
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
Gibbons - do you have a more detailed location where Robert was found?  It seems it might have been west of London - initially I thought the location was towards Thorndale.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
Des - looking for location info on Robert Bruce Stapylton not Frankie Jensen.  Thanks.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
Any ideas on where the woodlot was?  It seems to have been west of London - looking for road coordinates etc.  Thanks.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:57:22 PM »
It has been difficult to find the borders of what was once London Township on-line, but I'm pretty sure it was north and west of the City of London.  One clue (small as it is) London Township had numbered concessions many years ago - for this post I am going with they are now Eight Mile Road, Nine Mile Road etc.  Below eight, the streets have different names today.

Taking a random point on Piccadilly Road, 6 km's could take you to the south end of Fanshawe Lake where a rail line swings towards the lake after passing the airport.  One could also get to the little hamlet of Hyde Park, where 2 rail lines converge then branch out in different directions.

Surely the London Free Press carried this story.  A trip to a library that carries LFP past issues would be great -their on-line archives cost $10.00 per article.  Idiots.

While looking at the google earth map of Hyde Park I noticed a coincidence.  Due south of Hyde Park 'as the crow flies' is the entrance to the school where Jacqueline Dunleavy was found.  The line could not be more straight.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
Piccadilly Street is the reference I have used for an address for Robert.

Why would it be 'very strange' if he was found in the Hyde Park area?  It seems to have been part of London Township.

My local library cannot obtain past editions of the London Free Press.  LFP does not seem to share well with others.  Maybe the Waterloo (or Kitchener-Waterloo) Record carried the story.  Will check.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »
It would be strange if we ever learn Robert was found near Hyde Park.  The announcement by police to the media of 6 km's might not be accurate - they might have tried to keep the location as private as possible for a future suspect.

The newpapers for Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph and Hamilton only have archives available back to 1990.

I wonder if Jacqueline Dunleavy's killer knew where she went to school, and left her there for that reason.  A terrible thing to do to her and the community no matter what the motive was for leaving her in her school driveway.

I have read a little about Magee.  He didn't seem to hide his murder victims and those he attempted to murder, he made them easy to find.  Like Jacequline Dunleavy.  It would be interesteng to know if it was a lack of evidence or evidence pointing to someone else that caused him not to be charged with JD's murder.  Magee was committed to the hospital for the crimminally insane in Penetang, let's hope he never got out.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:22:58 PM »
Newbie here.  The London Free Press was following the trial of Robert Hall this past week. Hall is facing nine charges from 1968 to 1974, including gross indecency and indecent assault against 4 boys.

Based on reports in the media, Hall lived in the vicinity of Robert Stapylton from 1963 to 1974.  First near Colborne & Pall Mall and, later, near Waterloo and St. James.  It appears that his alleged targets were around Robert Stapylton's age.

This is a long shot.  Hall has not been convicted yet and it's a long way from assault to murder.  Just thinkin' tho.   JMO, of course.

Thoughts?  Any possible connection?

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/11/09/16058166.html

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/11/10/16071861.html

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 08:45:57 PM »
Hi goNgo - thanks for this update, had not heard about it.

I do think Robert Hall will be found guilty on some or all of the charges.  These victims, grown men now, are getting up on the stand to find justice and hopefully some peace.  It can't possibly be easy for them, so I believe them.

A conviction on any of the charges will be enough to get his DNA run through our national DNA databank.  Who knows what will be found then.

I think it's also possible DNA for Yates will be run through the DNA databank as well - even if he has to be exhumed to do it.  If that's possible of course.

Keep up posted!

jeb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 11:53:36 AM »
Hi Woodland:

According to the London Free Press article, dated Wednesday September 24, 1969, Bruce Stapylton's body was found in a woodlot four miles from his home, in the area of London Township's sixth concession road slightly west of Adelaide St. 

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 03:55:15 PM »
Thank-you so much jeb - Gibbons and I have struggled to find this!  The London Free Press archives are very hard to come by outside of London - so I have found anyway.

Did you have any thoughts on this location during your research?

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
Hi Woodland:

According to the London Free Press article, dated Wednesday September 24, 1969, Bruce Stapylton's body was found in a woodlot four miles from his home, in the area of London Township's sixth concession road slightly west of Adelaide St.

I believe that sixth concession is now called Sunningdale Rd.  Sure enough, that would be about 4 miles (6 km) from Robert Stapylton's house.  It looks like the route would be straight up Adelaide. 

Looking at google maps, there are now residential areas right up to the south side of Sunningdale, along Adelaide.  I don't know whether there was a woodlot to the south of Sunningdale back before the area developed.  To the north of Sunningdale it remains rural and is mostly open, treeless farmland.  About 400m north there appears to be a small laneway/driveway/road going off to the west. It is surrounded by wooded areas.  I think this could meet the description that Jeb quoted from the LFP article. 

IF this was the spot where Robert was found, and someone dumped his body and then continued on their way, the next cross road north on Adelaide is Medway Rd. (Concession 7).   If you head east on Medway it eventually turns into.........yes,.....Thorndale Road.   I'm probably trying too hard to connect these dots.  But, If Frankie Jensen's body was found in Thorndale, and, Scott Leishman disappeared from Thorndale, all around the same time, I think it is at least worth considering a connection.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:35:11 PM by goNgo »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »
goNgo - you were reading my mind!  I just came back to ask if Sixth Concession is Sunnidale - and does it then turn into Melrose as it swings south?

Either way I'm running smack dab into a rail line.

Brilliant on Thorndale Road, Frankie Jensen and Scott Leishman!  I'm trying to learn the georgraphy better - you are helping tremendously!

Any more thoughts?

Edit - please read Sunnidale as Sunningdale.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:54:18 AM by Woodland »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
goNgo - just realized there is Adelaide Street and Adelaide Road in London.  There is no rail line on Adelaide Street, which is the location you gave.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
Where is Adelaide ROAD?  I can't find it on google maps. 

Also, I didn't make any reference to the rail tracks.  I was focused on getting out of town and heading to Thorndale.  ;)

Having said that, there are railway tracks that cross Adelaide St. not far from Robert's house on Piccadilly.   I think the railway tracks theory is valid, but a different theory from mine.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:48:26 PM by goNgo »