Author Topic: Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, - London, ON - Murdered - 1969  (Read 38187 times)

goNgo

• View Profile
Re: Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, - London, ON - Murdered - 1969
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »
Have Faith - you have a lot of very good comments and observations there.  In particular, I would agree that the 'Thorndale' connection here is a bit weak.  Robert Stapylton's case does seem a bit different than the others.  There were no obvious injuries, no evidence of sexual assault and no confirmed cause of death.

I looked at microfilm of the LFP for June 7 to June 13 1969, hoping to find an article about his disappearance.  I couldn't find one.  (Always ready to admit that I may have simply missed it!).  I have it in my notes that he disappeared on June 7.  Is this correct?  If so, why wouldn't this have been in the news?  Look how much attention Frankie Jensen's disappearance got the previous year.  Was he not reported missing right away?  Did police not want to scare the public?  Did they suspect someone close to Robert?

If anyone has any suggestions about how to find out more specifics about his actual disappearance (i.e. outside his home?  what time of day?  etc.) I would love to hear them.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:59 AM »
Hall 'rabid animal,' says victim
By JANE SIMS, THE LONDON FREE PRESS

Last Updated: December 2, 2010 11:02pm

Robert Hall’s victim called him “a rabid animal.”

He had been lured into Hall’s sexual traps by his motorcycles, cool cars and camping trips. For a couple of years, starting when he was 12, he was sexually abused on a regular basis by the Old North London neighbour who owned the cool motorcycles and Amphicars.

Now, aged 53 and his identity protected by court order, he sat at the back of the London courtroom yesterday with four other Hall survivors who had come to court with him to offer support. He was too fragile emotionally to read the victim impact statement he had carefully prepared for Hall’s sentencing on four counts of abuse against him.   
<snip>

How difficult it must have been for the victim to step forward and face his tormentor. And Robert Hall shows no remorse.  :(

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/02/16410041.html
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:35:46 PM by goNgo »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »
goNgo:  I remember the massive press coverage for Frankie Jensen. His poster was all over downtown London while he was missing.  Perhaps his family arranged that.  But I also recall that Robert Stapylton received a very played down version of coverage in the press.  In retrospect I think that LE were trying to avert panicing the community.  I've read since that they were loathe to hint at, or use the term "serial killer".
It was a mysterious case for sure, and the lack of information was odd.  I don't know any details about exactly where or what time of day he disappeared. I guess the unshared info in the Project Angel files are going to relegate these cold cases as unsolved forever :-(

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 09:48:54 AM »
Robert Hall sentenced to 3 years.

Hall was found guilty of two counts of sexual assault and two counts of gross indecency for two years of abuse inflicted on the 52-year old man when he was just 14.

Rady said she was aware Hall had been convicted of a similar offence in the 1960s and was on probation when he started abusing the boy.

He also has convictions in 1975 and 1980.

Hall had said during his trial in September he thought he and the boy had “a loving relationship.”

Rady noted that during his testimony, Hall referred to the victim as a “cry-baby”, and in his pre-sentence report was particularly critical of a civil action the boy has started against him.

Hall still has to be sentenced for nine other convictions involving four other neighbourhood boys on Dec. 22.

Full article here:
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/09/16496241.html

What a sick man!  As evidenced by the parts I bolded...he clearly has absolutely no empathy for his victims.

I've been posting updates on Robert Hall's recent criminal trials here on Robert Stapylton's thread because I had originally wondered if there was any possibility of Robert Hall being responsible for young Robert's murder, which I recognize is a long shot, so this thread is not likely the best place for posts on RH.  Should I post this Robert Hall info elsewhere on these boards?  Perhaps in the 'Pedophiles' thread?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:39:01 PM by goNgo »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
goNgo - thanks for the updates.  It wouldn't hurt to copy the posts on Hall to the pedophile list.

I like having them here for reference as I also think of Scott Leishman when I read about Hall.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »

Have Faith:

I have moved your post on Robert Hall to a topic that goNgo has posted some information in also. The Justice System - Pedophiles.

Just letting you know as you had voiced concerns about not knowing where to put it.

I have left the updates here as some feel they are helpful for reference. The posts on Hall can be copied to the pedophile list, as was suggested.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
debbiec: Thanks for letting me know.  I had searched the whole forum for a"pedophiles" topic.  I would never have thought of looking under "Justice System".  It doesn't seem to fit under that topic.

My Robert Hall post was in relation to R. Stapylton, Frankie Jensen, Scott Leishman and Robert Brown. I'll make mention of it on each of their threads, in case anyone wants to reference it or read it.

Thanks again,

Have faith

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »
You're welcome Have Faith.  :)

Good idea to make mention of it in each of those threads as well. It will make the information easy to access.

spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
Hi I am new to this site...I have been going through alot of the threads in Ontario, in particular London.  I have noticed that there has been alot of talk  about railway connections with the victims. Little about a military connection.  I am wondering if anyone has ever given serious thought to a military connection.  There was CFB London, CFB Ipperwash, CFB Borden, CFB Meaford, CFB Trenton. For instance there were several murders in London around 1968-1969-1970, that were not far from the CFB London base.  These guys often went away for periodic exercises to some of these bases, sometimes gone for weeks at a time.  Certainly they would not have been able to abduct someone while in a military vehicle, as it would most likely be noticed, and they would most likely have a group with them, but they would have known the roads well. As well, would some children mistake their dress uniform as a police officers?

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
Welcome Spirit!

Yes, it does seem possible that someone involved/related to military bases could be involved in some of the unsolved cases in southwest Ontario.  Roberty Stapylton lived only a few blocks from Wolsely Barracks. Someone mentioned as a possible suspect in the murder of Lynn Harper was stationed at bases in Clinton, Exeter (north of London) and Aylmer (SW of London).  Bodies from a few unsolved cases were found not far from Aylmer.     I don't think they all fit the "military connection"...but it's possible a few do.

Thanks for posting.

N.

amIam

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
Welcome Spirit, in my opinion you have great insight as I have been thinking along these same lines for quite some time.  And not only children, in my opinion would consider a person in uniform as someone safe and unthreatening.     

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »
What you have a base with thousands of young men, you are bound to have some bad apples. 10,000 young men added to a population of about 100,000 people is quite a lot of young men. Although a vast majority of these people are good and decent, it is no secret nuts jobs seemed to be attracted to the military.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 08:20:10 AM »
How devastating a story!  Thanks for posting that Gibbons.  Imagine suspecting that your father might be capable of those horrible deeds (on top of everything he's done to your own family over the years).    :'( :(

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
How horrific for this family.  I wish I had more to offer the writer of the letters above than best wishes.

This military person having a gun(s) or access to them had me think of Real Ouard Tessier, shot to death at the end on March 1959, in his car with a 12 guage shotgun soon after locking the service station he operated in St Thomas.

One reason this victim came to mind is how senseless this shooting was - $200 is reported to have been found on the victim and he was found in the opposite direction of his route home.  According to the author of the letters above, her father trusted no one near his wife.  Could he have perceived an affair?

Also, while writing the project Angel thread, I made a note that a 35 year-old man was held and questioned for 5 days regarding Tessier's murder.  The writers father would have been 35 or so at this time (her father lied about his age in '41 to enter the army, making him 16 or 17 then).  I will look for the article I made this notation from.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »
Dear....that is a disturbing account of living with a military man with post traumatic stress disorder.   I wonder if the police down London way have talked to this Eileen. 
The description of the perp in the Susan Cadieux murder matches the description of this ex military man.   Tall and lean.