Author Topic: Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, - London, ON - Murdered - 1969  (Read 37149 times)

goNgo

• View Profile
Re: Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, - London, ON - Murdered - 1969
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »
Actually, both theories that I have put forward (Robert Hall, alleged molester of boys, and the Thorndale connection) I have to admit that I believe are long shots.  However, maybe, just maybe, one of numerous long shot theories will prove to be correct.

Another 'connection' that I think worth considering for the Robert Stapylton case is the fact that Robert live quite close to Wolsely Barracks.  A lot of transient military types moved through there.  It isn't difficult to imagine that there could have been a rotten apple there that knew he would be moving on, and took advantage of the situation for his inappropriate 'desires'.

Another theory that this group has brought forward is the 'Thames River' or body of water connection.  I was thinking that if Frankie's body was found in the Thames, in/near Thorndale, I would presume it would have had to have been put in the river at Thorndale, or further upstream (i.e. further away from London).   What might this mean? 

Sorry to mix various cases up in one thread (and for rambling), but I just have this feeling that some of them are related!  Somebody was killing boys in London in 1968/69 time period.

Any other connections/theories?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »
Adelaide Road is also Highway 81 on the west side of London, it turns into Highway 2 which then carries on into London.  The railroad reference is a previous one of mine.

I finally understand the terrain.  Robert was found just east of the small town of Uplands, on Sunnidale Road East (formerly Sixth Concession).

Sunnidale is not a through road - it ends at Fanshawe Lake.  Donna Jean Awcock, 17, was found at Fanshawe Dam (south end of the lake) on 13 October 1983.  Donna was the last murder to be included in Project Angel.

Project Angel was very secretive.  Imo, they know alot more about links to the unsolved cases left when they disbanded in the summer of 2000.  I don't think they were able to obtain DNA for all 20 cases they reviewed, especially those found in water.  Their mandate was to see if a DNA profile could be produced from evidence London Police had, as well as linking any of the crimes by method, weapons etc.

goNgo - geographically your post today at 4:47:44 makes good sense.

Edit - please read Sunnidale as Sunningdale.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:56:22 AM by Woodland »

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »
...and Fanshawe Lake is downstream from Thorndale.  Interesting.

(BTW -- the proper name for the road is SunniNGdale, not Sunnidale.)

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »
Thanks goNgo - I added a line to the two posts where I spelled the street name incorrectly.

One could certainly look at the area discussed as having had a predator operating in the 60's and/or beyond.

I sure hope Project Angel managed to obtain a perp's DNA for this case - it would have been 30 years later but the technology to find it now is greatly enhanced.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
Thanks Have faith for sharing what you know.  The residence for Hall and Yates is a little close for comfort here isn't it?

Molesters do come across as nice people, as we have learned over the years.  That's how they manage to get away with their crimes for so long.  Let's hope the days of feeling one cannot speak up for fear of reprisal is over and that others will not taunt this horrific crime.

According to the articles posted by goNgo Hall was a mechanic.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
Thanks Have faith - it helps put the georgraphy in perspective.

You seem to have alot of insight.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »
Have faith - as a Gramma you have a basketful of life's experience.  Having lived through the London murders - your basket will likely have more insight than others.

Any thoughts on what murders seem related?  By location?  Method?  Time frame?  I think you could offer some thoughts that 'outsiders' like me will lack.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
Robert Hall - deliberation took all of 90 minutes.  11:30 am until 2:20 pm with a 90 minute lunch break.

He's on his way to the DNA databank.  We'll see what the judge decides on jail.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Man guilty of 40-year-old sex abuse
By JANE SIMS, The London Free Press

A retired mechanic who abused boys in a London neighbourhood 40 years ago was found guilty of nine charges this afternoon.

The jury in Robert Hall's historic case of sexual predation began their deliberations at 11:30 a.m. and announced after finishing their 90-minute lunch break at 2:20 p.m. that they had made their decisions.

Hall, 72, of Aylmer was found guilty of all the charges he faced - three counts of indecent assault, four counts of gross indecency and two counts of assault with intent to commit gross indecency involving four victims between 1963 and 1974.

The four men who came forward and testified were boys living in the Old North neighbourhood when Hall lived, first on Colborne St. near Pall Mall St, then in a stately home he converted to a boarding house at the corner of Waterloo and St. James streets.

Hall denied knowing any of the men, but his victims were able to give details not only about the indecencies but also the man himself.

Hall operated an Esso gas station at Hamilton Rd. and Marmora St. in the 1960s. He later ran a used car lot.

Each victim described acts of luring by Hall attempting to engage them in sexual behaviour. One of the boys was wrestled to the ground and assaulted in Carruthers Park behind Hall's Colborne St. home.

One victim described several incidents where Hall pushed his groin area into him and showed him photos of men engaged in sexual acts.

Two other boys described how Hall tried to get them to touch him when he was sexually aroused.

Hall showed no emotion when the verdicts were read out.

Superior Court Justice Kelly Gorman ordered Hall be taken into custody until his sentencing on Dec. 22.

Hall faces another sentencing for four convictions in September involving one victim on Dec. 2

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 05:38:56 PM »
I wasn't aware that Robert Hall was convicted on other charges back in September. I wonder what those were.

It's unfortunate that Bill Yates never saw his day in court -- whether to prove him innocent or guilty.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
I suspect a judge will allow Yates' DNA to be run through the databank now that Hall has been convicted.  Very reasonable grounds here, given the association with Hall.

If so, Yates will be run through as a number only - only one or two peope know the name corresponding to that number.  If there is no hit, that's it.  No intrusion to anyone's life.

Imo, Yates checking out the way he did, he was either overly distraught about his buddy Hall facing accusations, or Yates was pleading guilty to charges yet to be determined.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 11:22:38 PM »
An updated article from the London Free Press tonight gives more info on Robert Halls history.  Clearly he had a number of charges against him in the past.   >:(

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/11/18/16207276.html#/news/london/2010/11/18/pf-16207276.html

So sad! 

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
William Yates

Born 1946, died Mar 2008
Completed teacher's training 1966
BA Western University 1980
Taught London public schools between 1966 and 1996 - Woodland Heights, Wilton Grove, Aberdeen, Tweedsmuir
Lived in boarding house owned by Robert Hall - dates?

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:09 PM »
I went to the London Central Library today. I had limited time so I just had a chance to photocopy some LFP clippings from two folders that they have in the "London Room" for 'unsolved crime in London'.  I figured I would go for the low hanging fruit as opposed to digging out the microfiche for specific dates, etc.

While I did find more information on some of the other unsolved murders, unfortunately the 'clipping folders' did not hold much relating to Robert Stapylton.  (I will post further info on the other relevant threads and then add more once I get a chance to target the microfiche...which might not be for a while.)

Where Robert specifically disappeared from....no new info here....simply termed 'from his home' on Piccadilly.

When/where he was found:  Sep 23/69, in 'dense bush' 150 feet off Concession 6, just west of Adelaide St.  (per Oct 25 LFP article).

Only other specific I found was 'no obvious injuries'.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 08:58:34 PM »
So good of you goNgo to fill in some blanks.

I always thought Des had an interesting take on this one being a little different from the others.

Sadly, he lay in the bush during the hottest time of the year, probably wasn't much for the ME to examine.  Suffocation for example would be difficult to determine by then.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 12:01:27 AM »
Hi Woodland and goNgo:

goNgo's post #26 is correct re the roads and concessions. I thought I'd clear up a few things.

- I believe Uplands is the name to describe the area..it is not a town.

-Medway Rd. (conc. 7) does run right into the town of Thorndale. 

Railway Connection Theory:
There is no railway in the area where Robert was found.  (There is one in Thorndale). Therefore, I don't see a connection with other cases.

Water Connection Theory:
Robert's body was left approx. 5 minutes away from an access to Medway Creek. There is a flour Mill in Arva which sits right beside the creek. There is a small access road behind the mill off Sunningdale Rd. which runs right to the creek and is in a isolated area.  Therefore, I don't see a connection with other cases.

I don't think that Robert's case is connected to Frankie Jensen's case. One reason is because Frankie has been noted as being one of the "Tissue" slayings as has  Jaquie Dunleavy, Irene Gibbons and Donna Awcock.  (wads of tissue stuffed down their throats, and a plastic bag re Donna). Robert was not noted as having this MO.  Another reason is that Robert was not put into water, as was Frankie.  As far as the Thorndale location is concerned, Robert was driven in an almost direct route from his home, straight out to the city limits .
Adelaide St. heading north to Sunningdale would be the quickest route out of of town from his home. It just happens to be one road that you can use to drive toward Thorndale.  Frankie was abducted from the western border of London, and travelling to Thorndale would have been a deliberate choice.
Another reason is that Frankie was hit with most probably a brick, and suffered a fractured skull.  Robert did not have any noticeable injuries.

I don't know how to cut and paste yet, but if you want any source material re the above, I will direct you to it.  It is all taken from info found on this forum.

Edited, Medway Creek , omit Melrose, add Richmond St.

-
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:22:10 PM by Have faith »