Author Topic: Jacqueline English - London, ON - Murdered - 1969  (Read 363892 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Jacqueline English - London, ON - Murdered - 1969
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »
Hey if you learn more, please let us know. thanks

1950stoney

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
To Gibbons RE: Linda White
Sorry, I haven't been back to the site for a while.  Linda's apartment was in a 3 storey walk-up just at the bend of Western Road/Wharncliffe on the Wharncliffe side.  There is a small side street there called Beaufort Street and I think that's where she lived.  If not that, then Saunby Street, the next one down.
Hope this helps.
stoney

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 09:00:19 AM »
Bringing additional comments about the Jacqueline English case together from other threads:

<snip>
 Many of the victims were in positions were they could be easily be stalked.  Jacqueline English was working in the snack bar of the Towers Department Store in Treasure Island Plaza (1441 Wellington Road S) and the murderer could have been a customer there and gained her trust (she was only 15 years old so she couldn't have been working at Towers for very long).  This store was just outside the city limits and the buses didn't run out that far.  Jacqueline English would have had to walk across the Wellington Street bridge over Highway 401 and a stalker may have known that she did this on previous nights.  Perhaps he became a regular customer in the snack bar, gained her trust, and offered her a ride home on the night that she went missing (or perhaps she hitch-hiked).  Jacqueline Dunleavy also worked in a store where someone could watch when her shift ended and be conveniently waiting to strike. 
<snip>

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 09:24:24 AM »
Some additional details I found in old press clippings at London Public Library:

Jacqueline's body was found in Big Otter Creek, near Otterville.  I had seen references to Tillsonburg area previously.  Otterville looks like it is about 7 miles NE of Tillsonburg.  From google maps I see that there is a big pond in Otterville (a widening of Big Otter Creek?) and various tributaries of the creek seem to congregate in/near town.

Some of Jacqueline's clothes were found in a ditch 18 miles SW of her body.  (The two major roads running SW of Tillsonburg are Hwy 3 (Talbot Line) and Plank Rd.)

Loafers, tentatively identified as belonging to JE, were found at a pond 5 miles NE of Aylmer. (which would imply approximately 10 miles straight west of Tillsonburg)

Her grey mini-coat and the bottom part of the dress she was carrying (I presume her Towers uniform?) were not found. (i.e. by the time of the article -- unfortunately I don't have the date of the article.  I will try to find it on micro-fiche.)

Edited to add a correction:  Jackie did not work at Towers, but rather at the Metropolitan store. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:34:17 AM by goNgo »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
Your posts add alot clarity goNgo.

Otterville is exactly east of where she was last seen at her place of employment.  It seems someone then circled back the long way, scattering her clothing.

jeb

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »
goNgo:  Can you please give me the reference stating that Jackie English worked at Towers.  Thanks.

Jesa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
As I have previously stated I need to invest a little more time to studying these cases before offering any observation to make sure I have the facts. I got the info from Georgia Jackson's thread....in reply #10, from Jessy W.about the girl's shoe perhaps being planted along with clothing. I do not know where this information initially came from. As for Jacqueline English's shoes & clothing locations... my facts come from the LFP article, dated Oct.23/69, by Bob Jones. It is a lengthy article & I am unable to paste it. Hopefully you can locate the article & copy it to this site. Hope I have been somewhat helpful.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:10:06 PM by Jesa »

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »
At jeb's suggestion, I'm going to start searching for information on Jackie's case. All I have so far specifically for her is this survey article, from the LFP on January 13, 1990. It was the last of the 5-part series by Jane Sims on local unsolved murders (the first two can be seen in the Susan Cadieux and Frankie Jensen threads, respectively). It gives a basic overview of her case that no doubt we can flesh out with more digging.

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
Excellent research, rkay. The newspaper article mentions a man charged and acquitted of a stabbing, who was known to Jacqueline. I wonder if there is any more information available of this person?

odrg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
He lived on my street - odd guy. Can't remember his name but Mary Doyle Journalism UWO did a research paper on his trial. The woman claimed she knew he killed JE and mailed him news clippings "Your subscription to Life has run out "- to try to flush him out. He was acquitted because both were nutty and judge couldn't believe either.

odrg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »
The guy who was tried for attempted murder against a woman who fingered him for JE murder was Glen Fryer - I think that was his name.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 07:23:29 AM »
odrg: Thank you for this info.  This is the man I was trying to remember as being a prime suspect in Jackie's murder. Did he have a club-foot?  Also, we heard that the only reason he was acquitted was because his wife provided an alibi for him. Wasn't Mrs. Harrison later killed in a house fire (arson)? Oh, it's so hard to remember that far back.

This is ALL based on rumors of course. We also heard that a print of a "club foot" was found at one of the murder sites.

Jeb: Please feel free to jump in and correct any misconceptions :-)

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
Club-foot? That would certainly shorten the suspect list.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
I thought I would just list some of the rumors from back then, so they could be dealt with and then we could move forward. I look forward to more info from rkay. Let me know if I can help in any way.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »
Been doing some digging for Jackie, and I'm astounded by the number of articles I found just in the first three weeks after her disappearance alone.

I think at this point, with several unsolved area murders in under two years and apparently little progress, the authorities stopped being so tight-lipped, and with this case began really reaching out to the community, to stir up whatever they could. And, to follow suit, I'll be posting everything I find related to her, just to have as much primary documentation available as possible.

(Again, I apologize that in some cases legibility is an issue. The microfiche reproduction sometimes looks like a pair of chickens had been fighting on it, and to make matters worse, the printer that makes copies at the library isn't great. Not to mention, for a third generation, the printout then gets scanned in. I can fiddle a bit in Photoshop, but still... If there's anything that you can't make out, let me know.)

The first articles came out about three days after she didn't return home, all on Oct 7, 1969. The first is from the regional edition, the second the standard morning edition, and the third is from the LFP evening edition.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:14:27 PM by rkay »