Author Topic: Jacqueline English - London, ON - Murdered - 1969  (Read 350583 times)

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Jacqueline English - London, ON - Murdered - 1969
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »
 Jacqueline English, 15, of London, was last seen getting into a car
Oct. 4 at the cafeteria of a store in the former Treasure Island shopping plaza
on Wellington Road, near the London Ice House. Her nude body was found five
days later in Big Otter Creek near Tillsonburg. She had been sexually assaulted
and killed by a blow to the head

uwo72

• View Profile
Re: Jacqueline English - London, ON - Murdered - 1969
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »
I knew Jackie and she was a real sweetheart.  We worked together at the Latin Quarter in London. She made me orange jello when I had the mumps.  Has anyone thought about a connection between her, Frankie Jensen (also found in the water), Linda White and Jacqueline Dunleavy?  They were all killed at about the same time.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:44:32 PM »
Hi uwo72,

Yes, there does seem to have been a serial killer in the London area in this era. Many simular cases in London and as far as Burlington.

Sadly, the police are not really going to say anything about that.

If you happen to know a family member, they can call and ask about this case and see what is said. It is just not normal for 15 year old girls who are not in high risk activities to get murdered like that. And so many happened.

So yes, we do see many simularities.

It is nice to hear that she was so nice, thanks for writing.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
Okay, I'm probably getting goofy in the head here but, if there were a connection between these children (London, Burlington, etc.) and then if there was a pattern in Edmonton...there was a military base in London at the time, and Edmonton in the 70's...makes me wonder. (In case anyone is worried I am trying to bash the military, I was a member of the forces for 17 years and still have many friends who serve.) On top of that did they not suspect someone from the Air base at Aylmer with regards to Lynne Harper.
This got me going because there was another case years ago (I can't remember the details) except it was a child murdered in the Toronto area and the police eventually suspected a man who had been former military. I believe he died before they caught up with them. For some reason a name like Howe rings a bell.
Sorry if I am rambling.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »
Edmonton still has a base and there is another huge one east of Edmonton at Wainright and another HUGE one at Cold Lake east of Edmonton. Litterly tens of thousands of people involved in those operations.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:30 PM »
This is the one I was thinking of.

Sharin' Morningstar Keenan
Killed: January 1983. Sharin' was abducted in downtown Toronto and found dead 10 days later.

Investigation: A murder suspect, Dennis Melvyn Howe, is believed to be still at large. He is on the RCMP's Most Wanted List.

Here is the link to where I found this info:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/missingchildren/childmurders.html

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:40:23 PM »
Thanks. I hadn't realized how much detail I remembered about all of this until I read the info you've provided. This is the most up to date article I could find on him.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Burnett_Thane/2008/01/23/4788789.php
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:45:04 PM by ohna »

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
I was posted to Wainwright for 3 years, 1985 to 1988 so I know it well. When I was there it was only about 250 military personnel. My understanding is that it is much larger now. At that time, there was a lot of military personnel who travelled/worked through Wainwright, Calgary, and Edmonton. Please don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want to point at the military and there are more military installations in Canada than many people realize but it does make me wonder.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 02:32:35 AM »
I agree, no one is blaming military culture or the institution. It is a fact though, that most of these persons are in the demographic that is often most violent (men 18 - 35)

So when there is a base of 10,000 soliders, it would have the same number of men in the age demographic as a city of 100,000.

And it should be noted, that active soldiers have a much lower crime rate then regular civilians.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 06:47:57 AM »
You've got a really good point there Chris with the demographics. Who knows if it is a military person, but it certainly makes you think...if it is the same person involved in a lot of these cases then they were mobile in their lifestyle whether it be a truck driver, military person, etc.

DigDig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
I think Howe was only in Toronto for about 8 months, maybe 18 months, I don't remember exactly right now, I'll have to reread the link below.  :D

Here's the link on this site about Howe:
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,399.0.html

The suspect in Lynne Harper's murder might be Kalichuk, he was the military guy in Aylmer at the time. He is the one who is dead. The link I provided has a CBC article about Kalichuk relative to Lynne Harper and Susan Cadieux.

We would all love to see Howe captured. Perhaps his history is far back and he was in Toronto early on in his military career.

Desespere,
A possible suspect, or more like person of interest, could be Kalichuk. I emphasize this because Kalichuck was only one of  a dozen or so  POI in the Lynne Harper murder. One thing that speaks for Kalichuk is that he had never proven himself to be a violent type of man.  He was more like a pathetic  alcoholic who got off on  indecent exposure and luring  a little girl into his car by way of offering  underwear as a "gift".
There were others  in the same area where Kalichuk lived who had proven themselves to be violent and had a record to prove it.

Also, the composite sketch of the perp in the Susan Cadieux bears no resemblance to Kalichuk
Just some thoughts...

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 12:32:07 AM »
Are you familiar with the Lynn Harper case?

1950stoney

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
Hi,
I'm new here.  A friend and I were discussing the Linda White case as it has been of interest to me for many years and I decided to see if there was anything on the 'net about it and found this site.
According to the police, my roomate and I might have been the last ones to see Linda.  I was writing a French test with her at UWO and she finished before me - my roomate was waiting in the student centre to give me a ride home and as Linda left, I told her I'd be finished soon and to go up and wait with Jim and we'd give her a lift home.  She went up, had a coffee with Jim and decided that she didn't want to wait - when last seen, she had thumbed a lift with (supposedly) a blue Volkswagen and was never seen again.  I still haven't heard whether or not they ever found her.
The thing is there was somebody in the London area at the time who had been in Goderich at the time of the Stephen Truscott affair and apparently had been interviewed about that case.  I believe that he was a psychologist or something along that line.  From what we heard, he moved to London around the time that women started to disappear.
The officers that interviewed my roomate and I mentioned this person but we never heard anything more.
I'd be very interested to hear if anything further ever happened with Linda's case - she was a good friend.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »
That is interesting. Thanks for posting.

Wasn't she 15? Or was her age wrong? She was a university student?

Well, I am sure the police have a solid theory on this case, but I have read the Truscott case over and over and it still appears Trustcott himself is still the most likely suspect, but there does seem to be a killer of young girls in the London area at that time.

So the police never talked to you again after the initial investigation? Not even any cold case people? It could be they know who did but he died or something.

If not, I am certain the police will check out this case again at some point. I sure hope they do.

1950stoney

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
Hi Chris,
No, Linda was a university student in 1st year at Western - I'm guessing 18 or 19 at the time.  I knew her quite well as she had a locker next to mine - we were both non-resident students.  A group of us also went to the Homecoming football game together - she disappeared shortly after that.
A few days after she went missing, I was talking to her roomate and according to her, Linda had returned to their apartment (on Wharncliffe Road about 1/2 mile from the campus) after her French test and changed clothes.
This fact led the original investigators to suspect that she had just run away at the beginning of the investigation.
The police came and interviewed my roomate and I at our apartment but that was it - I always wondered, did they ever find her?
Thanks,