Author Topic: Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 113711 times)

chickapey

• View Profile
Re: Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2017, 07:12:04 PM »
I agree elsie.... I would think the school would have more kids who were developmentally challenged and not just deaf.

What about the houses along Sanitorium road? A lot of them would have had a good view of any cars going to the school or staying there for a time to dump Jackie. I wonder if they were ever canvassed

amadusa

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
Hi Jellybean and others. FYI, Jackie was not small for her age. She was slender, average height, and looked her age.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
Amadusa - thank you for your response - So, Jackie was of average size.

To the poster who saw a man lurking in the bushes dressed in drab green shirt, pants and cap, this could be a private in the army. ??

Were there any army bases around there at the time?

Thanks

JB

galaxygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »
JB, men who worked in gas stations also wore uniforms. 

factsfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 08, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »
Western University has put the 1967 aerial photographs of London on-line. They were protected by copyright for 50 years but now they can be made public for everyone to easily access. The photos were taken on December 7th, 1967, just a month before Jacqueline Dunleavy was murdered. At least now everyone can see the exact layouts of the scenes relating to Jacqueline, Frankie Jensen, Lynda White, Bruce Stapleton, Jacqueline English etc. Just google "Western Map and Data Center", then "Aerial Photos" and then "Urban Coverage". The year 1967 is now at the top of the right hand column. Click on 1967 and the map will come up. Choose the photo that you are interested in.

John Wilson Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 17, 2017, 01:03:41 PM »
Thanks, just fyi to all, the slides seem to have been scanned randomly and do not always open up with North on the top of your screen so you may have to do some comparisons with recent sat maps

factsfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 06, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
  I am aware that the 50th anniversary of Jacqueline's death is three days away, but I was just sitting here thinking about it and I decided to make a post. I am sure there will be other remembrances in the press and on this site soon. I have lived in London most of my life and I was the exact same age as Jacqueline when she was taken from us. I was in the tenth grade, the same grade as Jacqueline. My sister went to the same high school as Jacqueline. The effect that this event had on a generation of Londoners is difficult to quantify. Lots of folks, particularly some who have commented on Michael Arntfield's book, seem to have been oblivious to this event and subsequent murders, even though they surely were old enough to remember them. Some comments seem to be "I had no idea that all of this was going on". For me personally, it was hard to read the front page of the London Free Press the day following her murder and not feel that somehow the world was not  the same anymore.  It had a huge impact. Half a century......still unsolved.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:11:46 PM by factsfirst »

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 09, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »
never forget...thanks factsfirst...life absolutely changed that year and I too find it unbelievable that people living in London at that time, had no idea!

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 09, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
I'm thankful to everyone who remembers her name and makes sure others do. If they didn't hear about it then they need to hear about it now

George Fayne

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
Has anyone ever considered any connection between Jacqueline Dunleavy and Lynne Harper?  I ask this because Jacqueline was apparently discovered lying on her back "in a ceremonious mortuary position" (Murder City 104).  Though the murder seemed to happen quickly, the killer took the time to pose her and to scatter her shoes, boots, bag, torn pantyhose, underwear around her body.  Furthermore, he left her exposed, her blouse torn and her skirt lifted (Murder City 104).  Also, she was garroted by her scarf.  I'm just considering this against Julian Sher's description of Lynne Harper in his book about Truscott.  I'll copy what I wrote on the Harper thread:

View Profile

Re: Lynne Harper - 1959 - Murdered - Clinton
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 01:55:10 PM »
It seems that folks are so fixated on the whole Steven Truscott business that many details pertinent to the Lynne Harper case have been forgotten.  Her death was clearly part of a larger series of necrophiliac killings that seemed strangely common in Southwestern Ontario at this time.  She went missing on the evening of June 9th, 1959 and was discovered on the afternoon of June 11th, 1959.

To summarize some of the physical evidence*:

She was discovered lying on her back, her right leg slightly turned, bent at the knee.  Her left leg was straight.  Her left arm lay across her chest, her right arm was bent at the elbow, her palm turned up near her head.
She only wore an undershirt, which was pulled up.
An assessment of her stomach contents initially placed her time of death at approximately midnight on June 10th.  This evidence is, of course, fairly contentious.
Wounds on her left leg, mud on her right foot suggest that she was dragged into the forest, over a barbed wire fence.  Her left shoulder was also wounded and a small amount of blood was discovered on the ground beneath it.  There was some blood on her underwear and shorts
Her shoes and socks had been removed
Her blouse was used as a garotte.
A button from her blouse was discovered by her left shoulder.
Her body may have been left on its left side for about an hour after death (this point also seems contentious).
Her locket was discovered, unclasped, hanging off of a barbed wire on the west edge of Lawson's bush.  It was discovered on June 19th.
A large piece of her blouse had been cut out and removed (nine by ten inches).
Footprints were found by her body.
Her clothing had been carefully removed and placed:  her shorts were discovered close to her elbow, her socks and hairband fifteen inches close to her head, her underwear was about 30 feet away from the body.  Her clothing was arranged in a neat manner.  Her shorts and underwear were not torn.
In the field nearby (about 70 feet away) police discovered a comb, two coke bottles, kleenex, and a half eaten hot dog.
The leaves and dirt around her body were undisturbed.
Three branches lay across her body; two were crossed over her chest in a V formation that framed her face.

My sources are:  Until You are Dead by Julian Sher, this document explaining the Ontario Court of Appeal's decision to exonerate Truscott, as well as this document detailing Truscott's 1967 appeal attempt (attached).

*which was notoriously mucked up in the Truscott investigation.  This, of course, confuses things.

I didn't write it in the Harper thread, but Sher notes that Lynne Harper's body seemed to be posed in a "funereal" way.

The other striking detail is this:  what's always bothered me about the Harper case is the fact that the killer apparently picked up Harper on the highway and then returned her body to Lawson's bush.  Why not place her body further from the pick up site?  Most killers do this.  This detail did not bode well for Truscott, especially given the fact that Harper was placed in a location that was frequently used as a biking trail for local youth--thus the whole "bicycle tire track" detail that seemed to gesture towards Truscott.  Barring Truscott (who I believe is innocent) the only answer I can think of is this:  the killer "got off" (sorry for the crude wording) on Lynne Harper being discovered.  The same may be said for Jacqueline Dunleavy.  As in the case of Harper, Dunleavy was discovered outside in a somewhat public area.  Arntfield writes:

The chosen dump-site, in an upscale area that was still relatively active in the winter, in spite of numerous more isolated areas nearby, suggests that the killer wanted the body to be found relatively quickly and that he was not afraid of operating out of doors or being seen.  He may have even banked on it.

It seems that Harper's killer took greater care with the scene, folding the clothing, etc.  In contrast, Jacqueline's clothing was torn and tossed around.  Perhaps, given the circumstances, the killer had more time to pose Lynne without being seen.  Also, I'm speculating, but perhaps Jacqueline, being a bit older, put up more of a fight. 

This is all just armchair spit balling, but, to sum up, I'm struck by these similarities:  the funereal posing, the scattered clothes, and the possibility that the killer in both case seemed to ensure the quick discovery of the bodies.