Author Topic: Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 122078 times)

chickapey

• View Profile
Re: Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 08:30:38 PM »
I remember asking my mom to take me down there once as a child just to see. We were in the car and I remember the road just ending in bush so way too may trees to do any sledding. There was one of those signs at the end... that said dead end and any road leading behind the CPRI would have been more of a laneway I am thinking and.  I thought she was found in the driveway of the school or very close to it and I think there was a little bit of distance between the school and the end of the road.

No one went down that road unless they were going to the Hunt Club or the school. There was no point and there is no way you could sled down any embankment to the river. I'm not sure if there was a sewage station there or not. I think that may have come later.

I wonder how well they checked these boys out. I know the article said they were held into the night and early next morning.  Hitching was more common then so I don't understand the whole dynamics of it but I'd think a girl her age would be more inclined to get into a car with boys her own age... I don't know.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
It looks like I was holding out on you-- but not on purpose. I didn't include a closeup of the photo at the bottom of the Jan 10 headline, which should answer the location of her drop-off question.

Definitely looks to me like the front of the school, in the circle, just slightly west of the main entrance.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »
For that matter, I have a better reproduction of the map from that article as well, which I've enlarged slightly. Eagle-eyed readers may recognize the proximity of other street names mentioned in other threads on this board.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »
And you're right, gibbons, the first article clearly mentions tobogganing-- not sure where I got the fishing from.

gibbons

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 04:39:14 AM »
Thanks rkay and chickapey,

My recollection of that extension of Oxford Street also jives with your memory of it chickapey.  In the evening it would only be Hunt Club members who would be heading down that way - other than that it was a pretty lonely place. 

The map is much better detailed - thanks for that one.  Interesting that although they have placed the numbers 1 and 3 on the correct locations, they have placed number 2 a fair bit too far west of where JD was actually found ie. they have missed the school by a fair bit and placed the number down the road - even past the laneway that is to the west of the school.  Odd.  The photos do certainly suggest that JD's body was on the school driveway though - no question.   From the angle of the picture - her body seems located at the west edge of the school and could be very close to the laneway.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »
I agree the large arrows on the map are crudely placed but the LFP press reports did state that Jackie's body was found 50 (and 30 feet) from the front door, which would measure out to the driveway area.

So the question still stands, in 1968 was there a roadway or lane that lead from the old Katherine Harley School (now Mathews Hall) south to the CPRI property grounds behind it?  And would it be plowed in winter?

Chickapey, you state that it was common to go tobogganing on the Hunt Club property. Do you mean it was also common to go there in the dark? The 3 teenagers who found Jackie's body were out in the dark, supposedly looking for a hill to go sledding on. Did either street lamps or the Hunt Club's lights allow for visibility at night?

Thanks,

Have Faith

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 06:10:21 AM »
Sorry... not Hunt Club... I mentioned the one on Riverside Drive... I think it's Thames Valley. There were two large hills right by the road that met in a little valley of sorts. The boys all seemed to live in the same area (Forward av area) so would have had to go right past this hill to get to Byron.

jeb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 07:02:47 AM »
From my C.S.

"It's interesting to note, that XXXX XXXX, leaving directly from his house on XXX St., would almost certainly have had to drive by the "T" intersection of Wharncliffe Rd. and Stanley St., either on Wharncliffe Rd., or on Stanley St., in order to pick up his two young friends at their residences, before the three coincidentally made their way to the exact location where Jacqueline's body was found."

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »
Assuming he left from home, you are absolutely right Jeb.  For those not from London, the Google Map direction from Lyndhurst Place to Brittania Ave. shows that you can take Ridout St. north to Dundas St., and turn west on Dundas to Wharncliffe Rd.  This is incorrect since Dundas going west from Ridout is one-way running east.

That is very interesting indeed. We should have picked up on that :-)

Have Faith

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »
That's right Gibbons... that bridge was built in 1973 and that's when Ridout became one way. It seems too much of a coincidence. Also it states the one boy,  "found" a lady who had apparently fallen off her porch a few months before. The lady had died from the fall but looking at the picture of the house on street view, it must have been some fall because the porch is not that high. Not accusing but it seems odd.
Also, just remembered that there was another popular hill within spitting distance of Britiania. It was right on Oxford... on the north side by the Mosque. There are houses there now... fairly recently built... but at that time every child within the area would do their sledding there. My cousins lived almost directly across the street at the time and remember it being THE spot to go. Why go all the way out to Byron in search of hills? The only one I recall was at the Byron Optimist Club off Norman Av
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:53:04 AM by chickapey »

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »
Here's some images taken today of the front of Matthews Hall, just to have something to compare to the Free Press photo above, which should help pinpoint her drop-off location.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:45:11 PM by rkay »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
Thanks rkay for providing these photos.  Did you see the road/lane that leads from the west side of the driveway, south toward CPRI? It comes to a halt where the double gate is erected and straight ahead on CPRI grounds, a roadway faces it. This is the road we are asking about, if anyone recalls if it was connected and usable in 1968.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
Yes, I did. Perhaps I should've taken a photo of that too. It's closer than I originally pictured; in fact, it's directly adjacent to the west end of the school.

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
The 19 yr old was the only one  (of legal age) who could have been driving that night...what was he doing hanging out with two 14 yr. old boys?  I think in the late 60's that would have been thought of as odd.  Could a deaf mute legally drive at that time? 

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 05:45:05 AM »
I agree Jensen. Another excellent reason for doubting their story. I just don't understand how this many murders of children could have gone unsolved for this long. What is wrong with the different police agencies? Not sharing information has to be one of if not THE main reason. Added to that they only had project Angel up and running for three years. So disgusted.