Author Topic: Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, - London, ON - Murdered - 1968  (Read 120393 times)

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:05:17 AM »
1968 ? Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, of Byron, was a Grade 10 student at
Westminster secondary school when she was killed in January. She was strangled
with either her scarf or a belt and struck on the head. Her partially clothed
body was found in the driveway of what was then Katherine Harley school, near
the London Hunt and Country Club. There is evidence she was sexually assaulted.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, - London, ON - Murdered - 1968
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »
sadly, no updates. Everything we know is here. Maybe some day someone with more info not publisehd will post here.

galaxygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
Jacqueline Dunleavy worked part-time in a convenience store called Stanley Variety.  She would have been on her way home from work.  I had worked at the same store about a year before when I was 16 years old.  This store is in the area where I grew up and spent my teen years so I am very familiar with the streetscape and I remember the location of the bus stop where Jacqueline would have been waiting (in present day that stop doesn't exist anymore).  It was on Stanley Street almost at Wharncliffe Road.  The stop was in front of a row of stores that would have been closed that night and this would add to the deserted scenario that would have presented itself (in those days there wasn't much traffic in that area at night).  Stanley Variety, although only steps away, was set further back from the road so a view of the bus stop was blocked by the other stores and would not have been visible to anyone in the variety store.  How easy it would have been for Jacqueline to get into a car unseen by any witness.  However, it is hard to believe that she would go with a stranger as her father was a police officer so she would certainly have known to be wary.  There was much speculation back in the day but my guess is that Jacqueline went with someone that she knew and having worked in the same convenience store I know that there were many regular male customers who she might have recognized and trusted.  Of course, there was also speculation because of her father's occupation that the murder could have been done by someone who had a grudge against him, perhaps someone who he had arrested.  That's possible but it doesn't seem very likely.

Living in the area where Jacqueline was last seen made what happened to her all the more frightening for me as I knew that perhaps I had known her murderer because I had worked in the same store and perhaps served the same customers who could be suspects.  Joe Clark, the old guy who owned the store and hired me, and who would have hired Jacqueline, used to send me with the night deposit in a brown paper bag to a bank downtown.  I used to wait for the bus across the street at 9:00 o'clock and once I'd been to the bank I'd get another bus back home.  Out alone at night I know now that I could easily have been a victim but back then everybody didn't have a car like they do now and people stayed home in the evening so I used to stand alone in the dark and hardly anyone drove by on Stanley Street.  I was lucky and poor Jacqueline wasn't.

I had a couple of experiences that make me realise how easy it is to trust people and how lucky I really was to have escaped that neighbourhood unscathed.  One morning I was waiting for the bus at the end of Dundas Street at Wharncliffe Road, late for highschool as usual, and a van pulled up and the driver asked me if I wanted a lift.  I knew him as the man who serviced the coffee machine and sold the coffee at Stanley Variety where I worked after school and on week-ends.  I got in the van without hesitation and this very nice man drove me to school without incident.  Now what if he had pulled up on a night after I finished work and was walking home on the bridge over the Thames River on Wharncliffe Road (a very deserted and spooky area - what where my parents thinking letting me do this?).  Would I have gotten into the van and what if someone is nice the first time to gain your trust and maybe the next time it will be quite different?  I ony hope I wouldn't have gotten in but who knows when it's late and it's cold and it's someone you know.  Was this the way it was for Jacquelin?  Had she trusted someone before and then wasn't so lucky the last time? 

My next experience was a couple of years later and my sister and I were walking along Springbank Drive just past Wharncliffe Road and a car pulled up and the driver asked us if we wanted a ride.  I recognized the guy as a customer from Stanley Variety where I used to work.  I told my sister it would be ok because I knew this man and we boldly got into his car, me in the front seat and my sister in the back.   Well, we hadn't gone very far before this character started doing something to himself if you get my jist and I was shocked.  I figured my sister couldn't see what he was up to and I just stared straight ahead, pretending that I wasn't aware of his behavour and trying to stay calm.  I told the man that we had to get out as we had just gone by the house where we were going to and he stopped the car and let us out.  Looking back on this now I think that I should have got his licence and called the police but I was so scared and embarrased and I just wanted to forget about it.  I certainly never planned to get in a stranger's car again.  I never saw this man again.

The point that I am making here is that two different customers from the same convenience store offered me rides and I took them.  This is why it makes perfect sense to me that it was a customer who Jacqueline Dunleavy had served in Stanley Variety who gave her a ride that night, her last ride ever.

Being from the neighbourhood I knew kids who worked at Stanley Variety (the owner always hired young kids to work there) and they told me that Joe, the owner, had been questioned by the police.  This makes sense as he would be able to tell them exactly what time Jacqueline left the store the night that she was murdered.  Rumour was that Joe was a suspect but I doubt that he had anything to do with this case.  He lived in an apartment in the same building as the store and he rarely went out except to the bank and he didn't drive.  Joe lived a reclusive life.  There was also a male tenant in another apartment in the building but he didn't drive either.  The really strange thing is that Joe Clark himself disappeared one day and has never been seen since.  Did someone silence him?

If you do a search on Google Maps for 90 Stanley Street London Ontario you will see the exact location where Jacqueline worked and probably waited for the bus on her last night alive.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:48:43 PM by galaxygirl »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »
I looked at google earth. Ironically, there isa  young woman walking out of the store in the photo.

The fact Joe Clark disappeared and never heard from again is weird. You know, if he was a reclusive man, that actaully does fit the profile of many creeps.

Not saying it was him, but it very well could have.

Was there other murders of young girls who might have visited this store in London?

Glad you got out of that car. Creeps seem to have zero fear in those days. I guess everyone just kept things like to themselves, so even if you told an adult, they would not have done anything.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:27 AM »
photo of store attached

galaxygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »
Response to Desespere who asks "Are you aware of the numerous cases still unsolved in London...."

Having lived in London, Ontario all of my life since 1956 I am very aware of all of the unsolved murders in this city.  I have followed media coverage with interest (yes there was much of this back then and if people living in this city weren't aware of the murders it is because they didn't read the London Free Press or watch CFPL TV news) and I am amazed that so many cases still go unsolved when London Police claim that they have DNA in all of the cases.  This leads me to believe that the police know much more than they are divulging and perhaps they don't make an arrest because the murderer is already incarcerated.

London was not such a large city when the murders took place (although there has been much urban growth in recent years and it's quite a sprawling city now).  I have actually lived close by some of the areas where these murders took place or I lived near where the victims once lived.

For instance, when I was a teen-ager I personaly knew Patricia Ann Bovin and I remember that she was a very thin girl and she had red hair and freckles.  She was the former Pat Emms (buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetry and the name on her gravestone is Patricia Ann Emms) and she grew up around the corner from me on Cavendish Street.  This is now called Cavendish Crescent and Pat lived on a small stretch of road between Wyatt Street and Cavendish Street near the Thames River and just below the bridge on Wharncliffe Road (this part of Cavendish runs paralel to Wharncliffe) and kitty corner to Mr. Big Restaurant (now the Cityview Restaurant at 30 Wharncliffe Road N).  This is very close to Stanley Street and Pat may have shopped at Stanley Variety when Jacqueline Dunleavy worked there but it is unlikely that there is any connection to Jacqueline's murder.  The MO in Pat's murder was break and enter, not abduction, and it happened many blocks away in the east end of the city in Pat's apartment which was near Western Fair Grounds (the location is always listed on here as King Street but I thought that Pat lived on Egerton Street near King Street.  I could be wrong as my memory isn't as good as it used to be).  However, it is certainly a coincidence that these two victims may have crossed paths before Jacqueline was murdered and is anyone else noticing the Wharncliffe Road connection?). 

When I was in my twenties I lived right around the corner from Grand Avenue where Russell Johnson murdered one of his victims by climbing up to her balcony and entering her apartment.  Believe me, we lived in fear for several years when Johnson was on his killing spree because he could climb up to the highest balcony and gain entry and we never knew where he would strike next.  Shortly before Johnson was finally arrested in July 1977 one of my sisters, who was 19 years old at the time, lived on Cove Road (three houses down from Wharncliffe Rd S) by herself in a small furnished, main floor apartment right around the corner from Orchard Street where Donna Veldboom, the last victim, lived.  Several weeks or perhaps days before (it's hard to remember small details now) my sister called my Mom and Dad to come over to her place one night because she thought that someone may have broken into her apartment while she was out.  Nothing was taken or disturbed but a small, screenless bathroom window had been left open (this was at the back of the apartment) and the place was full of flying gnat type insects that had gotten in because the bathroom light had been left on.  My sister recalled that the night before someone had sat in a car on the parking lot behind the H.Salt Fish and Chip restaurant across the street (now the location of Archies Seafood -153 Wharncliffe Rd South) shining their headlights into her apartment but she hadn't thought anything of it because the car drove away.  I truly believe that my sister was stalked by Russell Johnson because she lived so close to where he lived (he had actually lived in the same three-storey walkup where Donna Veldboom had her apartment on Orchard St. and the police finally caught him through that connection) and my sister had the looks that seemed to attract Johnson (many of his victims had long hair).  If you happen to read this post, Russell Johnson, I am so happy to report to you that we know we saved my sister by getting her out of that apartment that night and she never went back (my Dad went and picked up her things).  You must have wondered why you didn't see her in the neighbourhood anymore.

Some people think that Russell Johnson may have murdered Pat Bovin but I don't agree with this.  It is a well known fact in the London community that Johnson didn't commit murder when children where in the apartment.  It is said that he entered dozens of apartments and quietly left when he saw children sleeping there.  However, given the Wharncliffe Road connection to Pat's previous address it could have been Russell Johnson.  It is mind boggling that he avoided detection so many times. 

Even thought we know that more than one serial killer was in the London area from 1956 to 1983 I still believe that Russell Johnson was responsible for many of the unsolved murders in London.  A lot of these murders seem to have been commited simply because of opportunity.  Some of the victims may have been hitch-hiking thus making themselves a target for an evil perpetrator who trolled the streets of London.  Lynda White, the University of Western Ontario student who went missing after writing an exam, may have taken a ride from someone who gained her trust.  There was a rumour going around once that Ted Bundy came through town and he may have met up with Lynda but I'm more inclined to think that this murder might have been committed by Russell Johnson.  He started his sexual attacks around 1968 and 1969 when he was in his late teens and he seemed to hang out in south and west London, in particular the Wharncliffe Road area (Lynda lived on Wharncliffe Rd N near the bend in the street).  Most teenage girls of that time would have trusted a young guy, especially a good-looking one and this could have been the case with Lynda.  Many of the victims were in positions were they could be easily be stalked.  Jacqueline English was working in the snack bar of the Metropolitan Department Store in Treasure Island Plaza (1441 Wellington Road S) and the murderer could have been a customer there and gained her trust (she was only 15 years old so she couldn't have been working at the Met for very long).  This store was just outside the city limits and the buses didn't run out that far.  Jacqueline English would have had to walk across the Wellington Street bridge over Highway 401 and a stalker may have known that she did this on previous nights.  Perhaps he became a regular customer in the snack bar, gained her trust, and offered her a ride home on the night that she went missing (or perhaps she hitch-hiked).  Jacqueline Dunleavy also worked in a store where someone could watch when her shift ended and be conveniently waiting to strike. 

As for Chris' comment about Joe Clark who owned Stanley Variety where Jacqueline Dunleavy worked.  If you had known him you would know that he was not interested in girls.  There were many young guys who had worked at the store who will attest to this and I imagine that Joe had many enemies.  The general concensus was that foul play had taken place and it was either done by someone who shut Joe up because he knew which customer was in the store the last night that Jacqueline worked or it was someone who held a grudge against Joe because of what happened when they worked for him.  Joe Clark would never have walked away from the store that was his whole life and where would he go?  Why was his body never found?  Joe was most definetly a victim.

So many victims in London, Ontario.  I am so glad that we have forums like this one to keep their memories alive.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:53:46 PM by galaxygirl »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
I guess you know most of these cases quite well. Thanks for the info.

I sure do hope that if they have DNA, maybe one day they can be solved even if the perp is dead.

Seems like a lot of cases for such a small place.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
When people come on this website and give their personal connections to victims, or areas etc. are doing everyone such a huge favour.  It helps us connect the dots, and visualize better the circumstances surrounding the cases. 
Most serial perps operate fairly close to home, or their comfort zone.  A perp could stop for years, for various reasons and then start up again.  Or it could be two or even three different people responsible, due to the timelines.  One thing for sure, It amazes me how many unsolved crimes there are.....

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
Wanted to contribute some more info to this thread, since sadly there seemed to be so little available. So I've been doing some digging.

Here's some articles from the day after Jacqueline's body was discovered. The first is from the London Free Press morning rural edition, which has the least info-- to the point, where they haven't released her identity, followed by the city morning edition, followed by the evening edition where clearly much more has been revealed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:48:20 PM by rkay »

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
Here's some larger scans of the Jan 10 evening article for legibility's sake (some of these are copies from microfiche and then scanned in and cleaned up where possible, so I apologize as legibility isn't the greatest), as well as a follow-up on Jacqueline's autopsy results from January 12.

I'll add more as I come across them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
Great! That is terrific. Thanks for uploading that.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Hello All
How soon after Jacqueline's disappearance did the owner of the store disappear?

galaxygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
I really can't remember when it was that Joe went missing and I don't recall any publicity about it.  It was just something that we knew about in the neighbourhood.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »
Just reading some of the articles, I am kind of confused as to why the boys who discovered the body would have been down there. At the time it ended in a dead end shortly after the school or at the school and if they were toboganning, there wouldn't be any hills around there at the time. Even now, the only real hills are covered in trees and go down to the river. From where they lived they would have had to pass by the golf course on Riverside Drive where it was common to go sledding in the winter on a hill that is still right by the road. I believe to keep sledders out, they have relandscaped the hill but in the 70s, it was a fairly steep hill and there was a gate right there people could slip through easily. Why drive all the way out to Byron and go down a dead end road?

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »
My understanding is that they were ice fishing, but where I've gotten that notion I'll have to check...