Author Topic: Dale Durant - 46 - Missing - Hamilton, ON - October 31 2013  (Read 3140 times)

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: Dale Durant - 46 - Missing - Hamilton, ON - October 31 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
What is with these hospitals loosing people all the time, perhaps they need more cognitive staff and so major changes in the system. Sure hope he is safe.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
In my own humble opinion, the hospital should never have released him on his own.  He should have been picked up by either a friend or a relative.  Hospitals in our county. to save bucks, patient in and patient out.  Very sad and totally wrong - they talk about health care, considering the health of a patient first and foremost.  Blah blah blah

Simple layman would know better to release him with cognitive problems without someone picking him up 
Not surprising to me that he would leave the hospital without picking up his prescrips.  The man had COGNITIVE PROBLEMS .  DUH!!

So now,  the  man is missing, and it is left up to the Hamilton  police to find him.  But the hospital is not responsible in some way??

Talk about carelessness of the hospital. But the beat goes on!!

In reality it is an in" in and an out as fast as they can" philosophy.

Especially in the Emergency wards.  Not much better when they are admitted.
Too many patients experience it.   

Disgusting.

jb
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:28:00 PM by jellybean »

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
Unfortunately, hospitals cannot legally stop people from leaving.

We had this happen all the time- no matter how cognitively impaired, our clients would walk out of the emergency room on their own accord and legally, the hospital could not stop them.  It's not the doctors or the hospitals as much as we like to blame them.  There are laws in our country that do not protect the severely mentally ill or disabled.  They just get a cheque every month and a good luck to you then there is no accountability. 

To be honest, I noticed there is no mention of his family offering to pick him up.  When I went to the hospital, my family wanted to pick up afterwards.  I wonder why that wasn't mentioned.