Author Topic: Donald LAVIGNE - 60 - Last seen Feb 10, 2013 - Bathurst, NB - Found Deceased  (Read 4395 times)

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile

Name: Donald LAVIGNE
Alias: Unknown
Area of Dissappearance: Nepisiguit River 
Location Last Seen: Mr. Lavigne's kayak was found approximately half a kilometre south of the Route 11 overpass
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown

Tatoos: Unknown
Location of Tattoo :
Writing with Tattoo :
Piercings: Unknown

Clothing Description: Unknown
Pants:
Shirt:
Footwear:
Jacket:
Sweater:
Headwear:

Additional Information:

RCMP in Bathurst are searching for Donald Lavigne, a 60-year-old Gloucester-Junction man who was reported missing on October 2, 2013, after failing to return from kayaking.

On October 3, following extensive search and rescue efforts led by the Bathurst Police, Mr. Lavigne's kayak was found approximately half a kilometre south of the Route 11 overpass, near Bathurst, and his life jacket was found on a rock in the middle of the Nepisiguit River, near Salmon Beach.

Search efforts are ongoing. The file has been turned over to the Bathurst Detachment of the RCMP, though Bathurst Police continue to assist. The RCMP's dive team has been called into assist with search efforts. Bathurst Ground Search and Rescue and RCMP Air Services also participated in the search.

Police Contact Number:
Anyone with information that may help to locate Donald Lavigne is asked to call the RCMP at 506-548-7771 or 1-888-506-RCMP.

GSAR_Mbr

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:34:10 PM by GSAR_Mbr »

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
Cbc News ArticleLink http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/search-continues-for-missing-kayaker-donald-lavigne-1.1913869
****************************************************************************************************************

GSAR_Mbr

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/search-for-missing-kayaker-in-bathurst-scaled-back-1.1928872
***********************************************************************************
GSAR_Mbr

SAP

Are these particularly rough waters or were the temps quite low? Why I ask about the temps is b/c of his lifejacket found on a rock ... did he get wet and cold and hypothermic? That doesn't really seem possible though, really as it hasn't been that cold yet.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
Are these particularly rough waters or were the temps quite low? Why I ask about the temps is b/c of his lifejacket found on a rock ... did he get wet and cold and hypothermic? That doesn't really seem possible though, really as it hasn't been that cold yet.

SAP unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the area so I'm not sure how rough or fast moving the water is at this location.

In respect to the possibility of hypothermia, I would venture that it is a possibility as it is cold enough in NB that a dip in the water would leave you chilled very quickly. That being said I doubt he took the life jacket off and not other clothing if he was hypothermic because when you get that cold and are in the state where paradoxical undressing occurs you generally feel so warm that you remove all clothing.

The Chaleur GSAR team has 3 trained and RCMP certified K9's so if the gentleman had made it to shore and stripped down they likely would have located him or more items of his at the very least.

Unfortunately to me this seems like a case where he likely rolled his kayak and didn't have his life jacket fastened, subsequently if floating face down in the water his life jacket then could have come off.

Just guessing due to news articles.

GSAR_Mbr

(Hoping that my theory is not correct)

SAP

Thank you GSAR. That explanation makes sense.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
My Pleasure SAP, Its the best I can figure from what I have read.

GSAR_Mbr

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/body-of-missing-kayaker-donald-lavigne-found-1.2054787

click on link for info.

Body of missing kayaker Donald Lavigne found
60-year-old Gloucester-Junction man reported missing Oct. 2

CBC News Posted: Oct 15, 2013 12:58 PM AT| Last Updated: Oct 15, 2013 12:58 PM AT

SAP

RIP Donald Lavigne. :( Going out and having a good time with nature should not end this way however the odds of accidents are always there. Condolences to family and friends.