Author Topic: Livia Mary Beirnes | 77 | St. Catharines | Murdered | August 4, 2010  (Read 5260 times)

wantedwanted

• View Profile
I had not heard of the death of Livia Beirnes until today, reading an article about houses with violent histories. I was surprised not to find a thread in this lady's name, as this murder definitely shocked the community of St. Catharines, was violent, and remains unsolved. I was also surprised never to have heard of this brutal, unsolved murder until years after the fact. What follows is what I know of Livia Beirnes' death. Note: Livia Beirnes was attacked on August 4, 2010, but died in hospital the following the day. As she was attacked on the 4th, I put that as the day of her murder. Additionally, different news articles report her age as 76 and 77. I am reporting her age as 77 based off of an online obituary.

Livia Bernes, 77, lived on Oakwood Avenue in the town of St. Catharines. She lived alone since the death of her husband, Joseph, in 2007.
On August 4, 2010, Livia Beirnes was forcibly confined in the basement of her home, and remained trapped as her home was set on fire. Firefighters rescued Mrs. Beirnes, but she died in hospital the next day.

Investigators have not disclosed the manner of Mrs. Beirnes' death, nor have they said how the fire was set.

Around the time of her murder, there was a string of suspected arsons in the Merritton area, including one directly across the street from Mrs. Beirnes' home. To my knowledge, these arsons have not been solved, nor has the murder of Livia Beirnes.

Anyone with information regarding this murder is asked to call investigators at the NRP major crimes unit at 905-688-4111 ext. 4282, or Crime Stoppers, at 1-800-222-8477.

Further information on the life and death of Livia Beirnes can be found in the following articles:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2012/08/06/why-her--why-such-a-horrible-death
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2010/09/01/she-touched-so-many-hearts-2
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2011/08/01/its-a-crushing-heartache-and-a-simmering-rage
http://www.niagarathisweek.com/opinion-story/3259065-someone-must-come-forward/
http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/3259039-still-waiting-for-justice/

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: Livia Mary Beirnes | 77 | St. Catharines | Murdered | August 4, 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
Oh my god wanted.   I live in St Catharines, having moved hear at the tail end of 2011 and this is the first I am hearing of this murder.  I am trying to do more research to see if there is anything all Since .  This is unbelievable for St. Catharines as I know it. 

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
I have been searching for day for any updates on this but to no avail.  Wondering if any one else had any luck?

wantedwanted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
Eyeswideopen, I haven't had any luck finding updates on this murder.
I did read about a murder with some similiarities, committed not far from where Ms. Beirnes was killed. This is the murder of 19 year old Madeline Hood, committed by Cassell Farnsworth, now 21 years old. Hood's body was discovered by firefighters on July 7, 2012, in the basement apartment she was renting on East Hampton Drive in St Catharines.

Hood was beaten, strangled, and stabbed multiple times before multiple fires were set in her apartment.

While those are some disturbing similarities, there are also some pretty significant differences between the violent ends these two women met. While the motive in Livia Beirnes' case is unknown, it's been determined that Madeline Hood was involved in small-time drug dealing, that she had previously been involved in a romantic relationship with Farnsworth, and that Hood owed Farnsworth an unknown amount of money at the time of her death. There is also the age difference between Farnsworth and Beirnes. It seems unlikely that they would have run in similar social circles.

However, it is the similiarities between these two cases that caught my eye - two women, two basements not far from each other in the relatively small town of St Catharines, two fires. The motive need not be identical in both cases, but that is just speculation.

I thought it was curious enough to mention, though.

More information on the murder of Madeline Hood can be found here:
http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2013/11/29/guilty-plea-in-maddie-hood-murder

Attached is a map showing the approximate locations of the two murders - Ms. Livia Beirnes at 'A', Ms. Madeline Hood at 'B'. It is about a 7 minute drive between A and B, and a fifteen minute bike ride.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 03:54:22 PM »
Wanted this young girls murder is not related , her murder was found an charged see the link below

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2013/11/29/guilty-plea-in-maddie-hood-murder

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Livia Bernes, 77, lived on Oakwood Avenue in the town of St. Catharines. She lived alone since the death of her husband, Joseph, in 2007.
On August 4, 2010, Livia Beirnes was forcibly confined in the basement of her home, and remained trapped as her home was set on fire. Firefighters rescued Mrs. Beirnes, but she died in hospital the next day.

Investigators have not disclosed the manner of Mrs. Beirnes' death, nor have they said how the fire was set.

Around the time of her murder, there was a string of suspected arsons in the Merritton area, including one directly across the street from Mrs. Beirnes' home. To my knowledge, these arsons have not been solved, nor has the murder of Livia Beirnes.

I think these arsons are related  For such a small town, surely there could not be separate arsonists.

An arsonist will often watch the flames and the excitement of the fire trucks etc.
Perhaps this person was in the crowd or close by each time he set a place on fire.

The fact that a woman was tied up in the basement, would be an added thrill.

The young lady (ms. Hood}who was murdered and her home set on fire in 2012 may or may not be related. Fairnsworth, Hoods killer was 18 at the time and was dealing in drugs.

If Fairnsworth was involved in the attack and arson of the senior in 2010, he would have been 16 at the time. He may have been desperate for money to buy drugs.

Just a thought.  Funny, as to place of fire - both in basements (one a suite) but still basements.
It would be interesting to know if the other fires, were also set in a basement of other dwellings.

JB

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:53:05 PM by jellybean »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:29:43 AM »
I just read all the above, and in the last post, JB: you echoed my thoughts.  This guy was just at the age where he would be starting out at drug related violence.  It is safe to assume, he did whatever he could think of, or whatever cropped up in his mind in a moment of opportunity.  He may have known Livia Beirnes or somehow gotten connected to her, by chance.... ended up killing her through robbery and temper - then starting the fire to destroy his tracks.  Seems like the police need to go back and find out more about this guy in that time frame.  BTW... good thinking all~
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:20:14 AM by lostlinganer »