Author Topic: Donna Jean Awcock - 17 - Murdered - October 13, 1983 - London, ON  (Read 80569 times)

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Donna Jean Awcock, 17, of London, was last seen leaving a convenience store near her Cheyenne Avenue housing complex. Her strangled, partly clad body was found about 15 metres down an embankment overlooking Fanshawe Dam. She had been sexually assaulted.

lanfisher

• View Profile
Re: Donna Jean Awcock - 17 - Murdered - October 13, 1983 - London, ON
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:32:27 AM »
She was my neighbour when I was a little kid, and then when I was around 11 or 12 (1981 or 1982) I was on Cascade Street in London helping my friend with his paper route, and when we got to one of the houses, Donna lived there and she recognized me right away, and she was really nice. I was shocked when I heard about what happened to her, and I hope they catch whoever did it. 

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
I hope so too. I think there is a few cases of young girls being murdered in and around London Ontario over decades. Makes me wonder if they are connected.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
I hope and pray people reading this site today, will find it in their "already troubled" hearts, to speak around town about Donna Awcock.  Maybe the unfortunate horror occurring now, will jot a few memories - thus find a clue that could help another family.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
To the person who sent a message to me about this case, I hope you read this.

Your aunts case is listed here, it is not being ignored. Oh I hope you will do a search and find this thread.

tammy dennett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »
This is my sister , I am so glad to see people have not forgotton about her . I really hope they do find who done this , but as time go,s by, hope fades.I think the more it is talked about , the better , maybe we can juggle some memories. my father past away june 30th 2004 , where this took a tole on his life, he died not knowing who could do this to his daughter. i am sure he knows now , i just wish my dad or donna would send a message , telling us who ?we need some kind of closure, so we can put her to rest.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
I'm very sorry about your loss. I hope this case can be solved.

YOu have the right as a family member to call the police and get an update. maybe they will take another look. So many cases are being solved these days that are very old. at the very least, they can tell you if there was a suspect and if he is dead which makes the case not worth pusuing anymore.

thanks.

billy dennett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »
hi my name is billy donna was my aunt i dont remember much of her since i was 4 when she passed i have called every police station i can to ask that they reopen my aunts case and i will do so till they do my next step is to go to the london free press and put donna's case on the news so hopefully someone could remember something my grandfather past away in 2004 and i promised him i wouldnt stop either and i wont but what do you do when the police wont help do you take the law into your own hands? for me it would be worth it just to see my family have rest about her murder all i have to say is if the guy who did this to my aunt comes and reads this you better hope the cops get you before i do you are worth doing lthe rest of my life in prison my grandmother donnas mom is a reck maybe we can start a fundraiser to help my grandma give my aunt donna and my grandfather bud a proper tumbstone you have no clue how bad this hurts my family going on in life to never know the truth but i am a fighter i will keep going till they reopen this case. and trust me DONNA your family really misses you i know i do my papa is the only one that really knows now that he is in heaven with her love you guys thanks to everyone that has said their thoughts about my aunt its really nice thank you

billy

Sleuth

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »
Hi Billy, and Welcome!!!!
Reading your story brought tears to my eyes. It is always very hard for loved ones left behind. The tragedy of a loved one taken by the hands of another haunts a person every day and they loose a little more piece of their heart as more and more time goes by with no closure. It changes a person from who they were into a totally different person, so much so that even they themselves can not recognize themselves as the person they once were. It is a hard journey to walk. I am sending my blessings to you and don't ever give up in the search for truth. 

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:01:53 PM »
The tragedy of a loved one taken by the hands of another haunts a person every day and they loose a little more piece of their heart as more and more time goes by with no closure. It changes a person from who they were into a totally different person, so much so that even they themselves can not recognize themselves as the person they once were. It is a hard journey to walk.
:(No true-er words were ever spoken!

Sunshine29

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
Hi there  my name is Carolyne Awcock Donna Jean Awcock was my aunt and from i was told she was babysitting me the day some idot took her from my family. I wish i had memory's of her but i don't since i was 2 years old. I hope they do catch this guy because he belongs behind bars and i agree with my cousin billy about the police better find him before we do. It may have been along time ago but no one in this family has forgotten her. My family deserves clouser and we want it and deserve it. I know when my papa passed away he looked at my grandma and said he i saw are donna she is waiting for me. I am so happy that my papa can be happy with his daughter and knows what kind of monster could do this. I think with the police they are all to lazy to do there job. they don't want to reopen closed cases cause they say they don't have the time well in my eyes make the damn time and get people clouser i know it is just my family that needs the clouser other family's deserve and have the right to know why. I just can't stand it when the police let killers and child matlsters go free it is not right to the familys i think we have all grieved enough and it is time to get justice. when i was younger i would always dream about my aunt Donna and she was so pretty and very nice and loving and caring. my grandma would always tell me to be carefull cause in her eyes when i was donna's age i looked just like her and my grandma would always tell me to be carefull just in case if the monster was still outhere and didn't think he finished the job that he started. I wish i had a better memory of when i was young so i can remember her. I don't know my aunt donna but i love her with all heart and plus more i wish she was here with us in person and i know she is here in sprit. I love you aunt donna and i think the whole family should get together and go the police and get everything we need to try and reopen the case they have DNA know and from what i heard they have they guys DNA but i don't think they can use it after all these years but the only people that know the truth is my papa and donna and the digusting monster that did this i hope you burn in hell where you belong.

little miss naughty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
hi i am donna's older sister colleen and i just heard about this site and my family and myself are really praying that they find out who did this crime to my sister she was a fun loving person who loved everyone and that would do anything for anyone my husband had told me today that they called in a guy for his dna and is mot ruling him out so hopefully we might find something soon i love you with all my heart donna and i love you to dad god took both of you to soon

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
The police do not want to reopen teh case due to time?

That is not acceptable. Maybe contact the OPP and seeif they can help.

Call your alderman or MPP and get someone lookig itto this,

If there is DNA, it can be solved.

It is what he police are for. I know lots of cities think police are there to hand out speeding tickets, butthey are not.

Please let me know if you make any progress on this.

Thanks and sorry for your loss.

cynthia leblanc-blackport

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 02:56:26 PM »
ill never forget Donna she was the sweetest girl ...................i hung with her and Laura her younger sister i lived on south street and they lived around the corner next to the variety store i hope to god they catch the bastard who did this as far as I'm concerned he should rot in hell taking a young girl from her family ,i believe Donna and her dad are watching down just knowing there gonna get him ..........................and i don't blame this family for saying they will get him themselves i would be to if it were my children or family member godbless the Awcock family i pray everyday this monster gets caught always Cindy

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:13 AM »
Fourth of a five-part series. Elusive killers leave cold trail for police; [AM Edition]
John Duncanson and Nick Pron TORONTO STAR. Toronto Star. Toronto, Ont.: Apr 2, 1992. pg. A.4

He was lurking in the shadows, the orange-colored plastic bag in his hand, as the perky teenager left the grocery store.

It was just after 2 on a crisp fall morning, and the London, Ont., street was deserted. There were no witnesses, and that's the way he wanted it.

Donna Jean Awcock didn't like going out alone at night. For weeks, she was troubled by a feeling something awful would happen to her.

But the 24-hour grocery store was only a block away and she was out of cigarettes.

When Carol Awcock awoke that morning and saw Donna Jean's empty bed, she knew something was wrong.

Her 17-year-old daughter had been out babysitting the night before. She always phoned home if she had to stay overnight.

The call from the police came later in the day. There was a battered body in the morgue. They thought it might be Donna Jean.

Don Awcock started trembling as he stared down at his daughter's body lying on a cold gurney. There were bruises on her body from her neck to her thighs.

Shoved deep down her throat, just barely sticking out of her mouth, was an orange-colored plastic bag, like one used to collect garbage.

Detectives believe the bag was used to silence Donna Jean's screams as she was raped and strangled.

Donna Jean wasn't the only murder victim in the London area to die that way. In three other unsolved slayings, the screams of the victims were also muzzled, wads of tissue shoved deep into their throats.

Investigators won't say if the "tissue slayings" are the work of a serial killer, but the Awcocks are convinced the man who murdered their daughter eight years ago has killed before, and will strike again.

A Star investigation into unsolved female slayings in the province over the last two decades has found there are at least four serial killers who have eluded police.

Police agencies are aware that serial killers have been operating in the province for years, but never made that public.

The Awcocks think they know their daughter's killer, a man they say stalked her and has since disappeared out west.

"I just pray they find this guy dead somewhere so another family doesn't have to go through the same hell," said the teary-eyed mother, staring at a framed portrait of her daughter, a poppy on each corner of the frame.

"I hope they catch this guy in the States. Down there they fry 'em," said the angry father.

The first two tissue slayings were in London in 1968, Jacqueline Dunleavy and Frankie Jensen. About 7 1/2 years later, Irene Gibbons was slain in her Strathroy house. Eight years would pass before Awcock's murder.

Dunleavy, the 16-year-old daughter of a London police officer, was last seen getting into a car on Jan. 9. Her partially clad body was found within hours of her disappearance.

She had been strangled with her own scarf, a wad of facial tissue shoved down her throat.

Jensen, the 9-year-old son of a furniture dealer, was abducted on his way to school on a blustery, winter day - one month later.

The little boy's body was pulled from the Thames River, where Awcock's body was found.

He had been clubbed on the side of the head with a blunt object, likely a brick. Like the murder a month before, tissue was shoved in his throat.

Gibbons, a reclusive 66-year-old woman, had just returned home from doing some banking business when she apparently answered a knock at her door.

Her body was found in the bedroom. She had been strangled with a pair of her stockings; wads of tissue were in her throat.

Fourth of a five-part series. Elusive killers leave cold trail for police
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/454302991.html?dids=454302991:454302991&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Apr+02%2C+1992&author=John+Duncanson+and+Nick+Pron+TORONTO+STAR&pub=Toronto+Star&desc=Fourth+of+a+five-part+series.+Elusive+killers+leave+cold+trail+for+police&pqatl=google
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:43:53 PM by Concerned »