Author Topic: Donna Jean Awcock - 17 - Murdered - October 13, 1983 - London, ON  (Read 80571 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Donna Jean Awcock - 17 - Murdered - October 13, 1983 - London, ON
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
What they did not say in this program was that Donna ate pizza with Michelle as well. That has been confirmed by her family long before this show aired or was thought of. In her version of events then, she picked up the pizza, had him drive her home (Past the store where she needed her cigarettes) and went upstairs on her own. She said when she and Donna were eating, this man knocked on the door and said he wanted some pizza but she didn't let him in. Shortly after is when she sent Donna to the store. Donna asked the clerk if she could use the phone (she was very upset) and the clerk said no so Donna left.

Now this Michelle says she ate in the car with the guy and made him wait in the car until she 'got rid of the babysitter' so we're supposed to believe he just sat there waiting? She was apparently hammered drunk and she's worried about bringing this strange man up into her apartment? She wasn't exactly a prude from what people have said about her (who knew her) and being that drunk, it seems odd she'd make him wait.

Which version of the boozy drunk is true??

I say neither.   I think that the guy, never left the car, he grabbed Donna on her  way back to Michelle's[/b]

Here is my way of thinking --jerk has visions of sex with Michelle. Michelle tells him to wait in the car, as she does not want Donna to know that she is bringing up a "gentleman friend"  Michelle brings pizza upstairs,  unknown to Jerk, tells Donna to go to store for cigarettes. Had told jerk earlier that she will let him know when the "coast is clear" - ie when Donna leaves babysitting job.

Jerk sitting in car, he sees Donna leave. To his mind the baby sitter is paid off, and the coast may be clear.

All excited and waiting to be called up!!  Waits in car for  too long,privately comes to a conclusion that perhaps  he has been taken for a ride by Michelle. Unknown to him, Donna has been sent by Michelle for ciggies. Meanwhile he is  getting madder by the minute = oops sees Donna return. Now he believes he has really been taken for a ride.
Taken for a ride not only by Michelle, but also Donna!! Doesn't realize that Donna was returning from an errand.
Out from the car he pops in a rage, and takes Donna. Easier, younger and prettier.

jb
ps:  I have never picked up a man in my life -nor has any man ever picked up me. Any relationships I have had have been of a  mutual and respectful nature.  But I can say, that in my travels in life, I have overheard a lot in women's washrooms. There are such floozies and jerks.
Such an old story, so I have heard.  Sneak a guy in - so that kids won't know - Michelle did have kids - did she not??
Keep it quiet!! Pay off sitter - make guy wait outside. 
Nothing new or mysterious there!! So sick - so desperate - so sad -
I am quite sure that this jerk knew the "usual routine"

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:29:59 PM by jellybean »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »
One more thing we learned, the investigators for the show were able to get confirmation on who was dna tested, who was not, and who passed the test. Have any of us heard of any one else being able to get this information in any other case? What is the procedure to obtain that info and what qualifications are required?

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
D1 the family is informed of who is tested and that they came back as no match.  I believe Tammy said they took DNA from the family something like 15 years ago or so and that they were informed of the results.  The family chooses to share this information

Jellybean... one of the first accounts Michelle gave she stated that she had the guy drop her off and that when she and Donna were eating (which is a fact,  the family was told there was pizza in her stomach) the man knocked at the door asking to have some pizza. Michelle told him to get lost. From any account I've heard from people who knew her, she wasn't shy and would have no issue bringing a guy up to the apartment. Neither version make sense to me because going from her first version, how would he know which apartment was hers if she didn't tell him and just got the ride home but she did say he knocked at the door. Her version stating she asked him to wait in the car goes against the type of person she was.  Her two children were very young at the time... one an infant and the older one not much older

Going by sister Laura's reaction to the sketch, she knows who it reminds her of. She also said Donna knew him. In that complex it was like a small town...everyone knew everyone so I would think that meant Michelle too.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2014, 11:49:46 PM »
Not making any sense to me. 

If Donna appeared upset at the store and asked to use the phone and was denied, then - why was she denied? 

Sorry, but am not believing that.  Any store at that time in 1983 would allow a person to use the phone.  Today, Not!! In 1983, any corner store would say okay, "but keep it brief".   I am sure of that!!

We don't know for sure if pizza was in her stomach, do we?  Valid coroner's report? or heresay over the years??
Many things can be embellished over, added onto,  and believed over time. Where untruths becomes facts.

If Donna had pizza in her stomach then it proves that she had a slice at Michelle's place, before she went for ciggies.
However, that does not prove that Michelle brought up her date with Donna still there. It only proves that Melissa brought up the pizza, just like I said.

Michelle brings up Pizza first
Leaves man in car to wait for the all clear.
send Donna for ciggies.

Mind you, perhaps the sloppy drunk brought up man with pizza etc, etc., of which I doubt.  But the jerk that Melissa involved in her evening entertainment no doubt is involved in Donna's death. JMO. 

Too many shady reasons given by Melissa. Changing her story, covering her butt. Might even claim too drunk to remember, if I recall. 

Wants to keep her kids.  etc, etc.

JB
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:19:38 AM by jellybean »

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:56 AM »
The clerk did NOT let her use the phone stating company policy. This is directly from his statement and from the family of Donna.

The fact that she had pizza was from the police to Donna's family.

The kind of person Michelle was is also directly from Donna's family who knew her well and from a previous address they lived.  Nothing embellished here.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
D1 the family is informed of who is tested and that they came back as no match.  I believe Tammy said they took DNA from the family something like 15 years ago or so and that they were informed of the results.  The family chooses to share this information

It was my impression that the family seemed as if they were hearing for the first time that both Maynard and  the US sex offender had been tested but did not match the dna found. The video has been removed from utube now. Maynard's dna was just recently compared was he not?

Going by sister Laura's reaction to the sketch, she knows who it reminds her of. She also said Donna knew him. In that complex it was like a small town...everyone knew everyone so I would think that meant Michelle too.

The sketch being referenced is the new sketch not the old. As a result, this person has been identified now. DNA testing will be telling in regard this poi no matter who ate pizza with whom and when.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
Can any family member of a murder victim find out if a certain poi has been dna tested or not? Is it their right to know or is this something unusual?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:20:42 PM by D1 »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »

Jellybean... one of the first accounts Michelle gave she stated that she had the guy drop her off and that when she and Donna were eating (which is a fact,  the family was told there was pizza in her stomach) the man knocked at the door asking to have some pizza. Michelle told him to get lost. From any account I've heard from people who knew her, she wasn't shy and would have no issue bringing a guy up to the apartment. Neither version make sense to me because going from her first version, how would he know which apartment was hers if she didn't tell him and just got the ride home but she did say he knocked at the door. Her version stating she asked him to wait in the car goes against the type of person she was.  Her two children were very young at the time... one an infant and the older one not much older

Exactly my point.  What can really be  believed from this woman? I don't think she remembers.  It has been a long time. Conflicting.  Also, the family knew her, and in their opinion Michelle was outspoken and would think nothing of telling a guy he couldn't come in - after giving her a ride, or if she so decided to have him come up.
As you asked, he knocked on her door, and how would he know her apartment number?

Unless he knew Michelle perhaps, and had been there before??

I don't think her statements are helpful to anyone - albeit she did try her best, I reluctantly concede to that!!
ie: she tried her best.

JB
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:41:29 PM by jellybean »

Jesa

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
Tomorrow would be Donna's 48th birthday. Birthdays are more difficult days as the family remembers & is unable to celebrate the loved ones day with the entire family. You also wonder....who might have been along with Donna. Her husband, children & perhaps young grandchildren. You are in our thoughts Donna & not forgotten.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
Jellybean... I think she was compensated somehow for being on the show. She wouldn't do anyone any favours, that's for sure too.

As Jesa said, tomorrow is Donna's birthday. I hope this is her year for answers.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:53 PM »
I just finished watching the program, as it aired for the second time tonight. Like others who have commented, I also felt that it was very well done. This investigation ended up resulting in the creation of the new composite, which in the end could be the one clue that was needed to lead to Donna Jean's killer. I hope the information that has been turned over to police will be thoroughly followed up on. This could well be the best shot that Donna's case will have of being  solved after all this time. 

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »
I would imagine the information on the new poi had been turned over to Police quite some time back. Has the new poi been dna tested yet?

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
I would also think that the information had been turned over to Police a while back. I'm certainly hoping that the person in the composite sketch will be DNA tested, if he hasn't been already. We may not ever be privy to that information, unless an arrest is made at some point.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »
I too watched the show a second time... and the composite given by Michelle, was looked at by another woman who had sat at the table with Michelle and this man in the bar that night, and she gave a somewhat clearer version of the appearance of this man.  After the re-draw, it was Donna's sister who thought she knew this man..

Very well done.  I am so glad the these Canadian Cold cases are being featured.
Turning over this info to the police is the right thing to do.
No match in our DNA system.   However, I wonder if the dna  of criminals were collected back then?
I am under the impression that this collection of dna from criminals is very recent.
That might explain why no match!!
Correct me if I am wrong on dna matching please!

jb
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:08:29 PM by jellybean »

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
I'm really thrilled with the public attention that's already starting to return to these cold cases, and with the positive reception and insightful analyses on these message boards :) Here's hoping anonymous tips start coming in and lead to arrests.

No match in our DNA system.   However, I wonder if the dna  of criminals were collected back then?
I am under the impression that this collection of dna from criminals is very recent.
That might explain why no match!!
Correct me if I am wrong on dna matching please!

You're right: DNA analysis is quite recent, having first been used in criminal investigation in the late 1980s. I'm no expert on this topic by any means, but the following RCMP webpage gives a short history of DNA analysis in Canada: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nddb-bndg/histo-eng.htm#highlights