Author Topic: Donna Jean Awcock - 17 - Murdered - October 13, 1983 - London, ON  (Read 76265 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Donna Jean Awcock - 17 - Murdered - October 13, 1983 - London, ON
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »

spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
The LFP has an article in the paper today (A3) regarding Donna Awcock. Sister hopes social media will put the heat on cold case.

gibbons

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »
Thanks Spirit,

In the article there is mention of the specific Facebook site (Justice for Donna Jean Awcock) which was started by Donna Jean's sister Tammy Dennett.  On the facebook site, they have posted various LFP articles about Donna's murder, a sketch of a suspect, and several bits of other information that might help jog people's memories.  There is also a link to a donation site that will help the family continue to keep the case "active". 

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »
Wanted to post article from today's London Free Press before it disappears.

News London
Sister hopes social media will put the heat on cold case
By JANE SIMS, The London Free Press

In this Feb. 4, 1998 photo, Carol Awcock holds a picture of her daughter Donna who went missing on Oct. 13, 1983. Her body was found the next day, but the murderer has never been found. (File photo by SUE REEVE, The London Free Press) The trail leading to Donna Awcock's killer has been cold for a long time.

She'd be 44 now had she been allowed to grow up past 17.

Her body was found near London's Fanshawe Dam a day after she disappeared from outside a variety store near her Cheyenne Ave. home Oct. 13, 1983.

After almost three decades, her sister hopes that modern social media - technology no one would have imagined at the time - might shake out the clue investigators need to solve the case.

Tammy Dennett, 48, of London started a Facebook page, Justice for Donna Jean Awcock, only a month ago, after a cousin suggested the idea.

The membership has quickly grown to more than 2,500 people.

Some of those who've joined have offered up tips. Some have given her names. Others have remembered similar situations.

Dennett hopes the OPP will look into some of the information that's flowed to her since she started the Facebook page as last-ditch hope to solve her sister's killing.

She also hopes to raise $1,000 to hire Noreen Renier, an American psychic detective found by one of the Facebook followers, who's succeeded in other cases at identifying suspects.

"I'm grasping at anything," Dennett said.

Awcock's case has routinely been part of police cold-case projects, but so far there's been no break.

High-profile killers Paul Bernardo and Tennessee fugitive Joe Shepherd have long been eliminated as suspects.

Awcock, a quiet, shy girl who loved children, lived with her family in the Cheyenne Ave. complex and was babysitting that night.

The woman who hired her, Dennett said, got a ride home with a stranger from a bar and had brought pizza for her and Awcock to share.

After they ate, she asked Awcock to go to a nearby variety store to buy her cigarettes.

Awcock's body was found the next day.

The Facebook page has reminded Dennett how quickly people can forget. Some have said they thought the case had been solved.

"It's kind of sad because makes you feel like she's forgotten. I don't want her forgotten," she said.

She wonders what Awcock would be like had she lived - would she be married, have children or grandkids?

Her mother - who went to a psychic not long after Awcock died, but with few results - is still living, but her father died in 2004.

"My dad never had a chance to walk her down the aisle," Dennett said.

"We were robbed of a lot of things."

The Facebook page, at times, has made Dennett relive some of that pain the family experienced so long ago.

"I think about her every day," she said.

Dennett said her sister's death is "baffling" and all she wants is some "closure."

"That's what I'm praying for. Just anything."

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
I didn't realize the person Donna was babysitting for asked her to go for cigarettes at 2:00 am or whatever time it was.  Very unsettling.  What did this adult do when Donna didn't return with them?  It's my understanding Donna's mother called this woman the next morning looking for Donna.

Donna is reported to have had a plastic bag shoved into her throat - does anyone know if there were media reports between 1968 and 1982 or 1983 about the 'tissue murders'?

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
I had lost track of what was posted on this site and what wasn't.  I have copies of a couple of old London Free Press articles about Donna, from the library.  Unfortunately I think I left those files back at my office and I am home for the holidays.  I will try to remember to post the specifics after the holidays. 

In the meantime, I recall reading that Donna had babysat for someone else that evening. When the woman came home she asked Donna if she would mind running to the local variety store, quite close by her house and Donna's, to get her some cigarettes.  Donna seemed happy when she left.  When she arrived at the store, however, the clerk reported that it looked like Donna had been crying and that she was upset.  Donna apparently left the store and was never seen again.

I presume that the person she babysat for assumed that Donna forgot to come back, and just went home instead.

I also recall reading somewhere that there was a suspect  and suspect vehicle.  I can't recall the specifics though.  Sorry.  I'll see if I can find them after the holidays. 

I hope the Awcock's find peace and resolution to Donna's murder soon.

tammy dennett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 06:48:38 PM »
just want to say a big Thank you to all who takes the time to post about my sister Donna Jean Awcock , you are all truly amazing people .
I am on a mission to solve this , I want my day in court , I want this person to look me in the eyes and see the pain he has put a pond me and my Family , I want him  to look me straight in my face and tell " WHY " , Then I want him to live a very long miserable life behind bars , where he suffers on a daily basis . I hope you all have joined my group for Donna , there are truly amazing people in this group that help me get through this , I  never dreamed it would be this hard , but I can't turn back now . the group is on face book ( JUSTICE FOR DONNA JEAN AWCOCK ) , I have had so many people email me tips because of this group and I truly believe he will be caught because of this group . Thanks To everyone , wishing you all had a Merry Christmas , and hope you have a Happy New Year all the best in 2011 .
Sincerely
Tammy Dennett 

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 08:22:28 PM »
Hi tammy and the rest of the Awcock family - are you able to share any more info with us here regarding what happened to Donna, from your memories or your facebook page?  Not every reader here will have access to fb.

Much appreciated.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
Yes welcome Tammy.  It is very rewarding for the forum to have a family member join our group.  We can get the facts straight the first time and makes the quest easier to handle .

justice for Donna is a long time coming.  Hopefully new eyes and creative thinking will be a benefit here. Maybe 2011 is Donna's year!

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »

Hi Tammy. Nice to see you here again. I have read this whole thread and was surprised at first, to see how many of the people that loved Donna had posted something here. It's wonderful to see so many family and friends here in memory of Donna.

My best to you in your quest to find answers. Hopefully there will be justice soon.

Laurie Wasylenko

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 05:30:23 AM »

Hello everyone,

If there are anymore threads in regards to this subject, could somebody please PM me the links or direct me to them please ?

I would appreciate it, as I knew Donna. Hung around her from time to time. Had some of the same friends, grew up near her, attended the funeral and even the wake.

This case has had me baffled for years.

Tammy, my heart goes out to you and your entire family.
I really hope new information does comes to light. So that there can be closure, questions answered, peace and justice.
x

tammy dennett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 03:51:35 AM »
I am honored to have so many people still asking questions in regards to Donna , 27 yrs is a long time ago , to long for unanswered questions , I am hiring a Private Investigator with the funds that we make at a Fund Raiser I have planned , it is on June 4th 2011 @ the Eagles club on First  St 4060-500 First St 519 452 1131 starts @7pm and Tickets are 5 dollars a person , there will be games , 50/50 draws , DJ , Raffles . The Face Book group I have set up for Donna has over 2600 members , I pray to god we can solve this together . it all started with Donna going to babysit for Michelle on October 12 1983 , Michelle went to the bar that night called the Town&Country says she drank with a guy the whole night , but did not exchange names , at the end of the night this guy gave Michelle a ride home , on there way home they stopped at originals pizza and she took it home where her and Donna had shared the pizza , while they were eating the pizza this guy knocked on Michelle's door and said he wanted some of that pizza , she lived in a three story walk up and lived on the 2nd floor , if she never knew this guy , how did he know what apt door to knock on ?????????, Michelle said she told him to go away , then when Donna and Michelle were done eating the pizza , Michelle had asked Donna to go to the store to buy her cigarettes , Donna did make it to the store , but after that we now nothing , when Donna did not return Michelle went to the store to buy cigarettes herself , thinking that Donna had just went home , now for Michelle to walk to the store she would walk right by my parents house , wouldn't one think that you would a least make sure she is there , in the morning we had called for Donna to come home , that's when all hell broke lose , we called the police , they classed her as a run away and wouldn't do anything for 24 hours , the most crueshall hours , so we got a bunch of people to start searching for her , then she was found by one of her best friends , everything we have to go one is what Michelle is saying , the facts that have been confirmed , she did have pizza ,  confirmed ,she did make it to the store , confirmed, everything else just don't add up , if anyone can add any information about this case please email me @ tammydennett@hotmail.com
Thanks so much
Tammy Dennett

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
Thank-you Tammy for posting this info about Donna.  I have many questions if it's okay, will start with just a few and some observations.

Donna walked into the store frightened and had been crying, but apparently did not say anything to the store clerk.  This could point towards Donna knew the source of her fear - not that Donna knew the person before that night, just that she knew who was making her frightened and where.  I had a feeling something happened in that apartment before Donna left to go to the store.

If Michelle sat and drank with this guy for a good part of the night, to the point where he gave her a ride home, stopped for pizza along the way, knew what apartment she lived in, then Michelle should have been able to provide a very good description of him.  Also, the police must have been all over that bar questioning the staff and patrons for his description.  Do you know his description and/or what car he drove?

Do you know if it was ever confirmed that Michelle went to the store after Donna was there?  This means she had to leave her children alone for a short time.

If Donna had to pass by her/your home on the way back to Michelle's apartment with the smokes, and was accosted between the store and Michelle's, then she would have a place to run to, if this was possible for her.  Or at least yell out for her father or mother.  Do you think Donna may have went back to the aprtment?

I think much of the truth lies in whether or not Michelle was confirmed to have gone to the store or not.

Donna has been associated with the 'tissue murders' in London - 2 in 1968 and 1 in 1975.  I know painfully little about the tissue murders, so while there are similarities Donna has many differences as well.

The victims of the two tissue murders in 1968 were found in water - erasing most or all possibilites of biological evidence.  Someone knew what they were doing there.  The victim in 1975 was apparently not sexually assaulted also leaving no biological evidence.  Donna is reported to have been assaulted and found leading to the dam, but not in it, and a plastic bag was used to either silence her or as a signature by the killer.

If the perp in Donna's case had a car, then one might think he would have tissues with him just in case.

Can you give any info on the bag?  Was it orange?  Was it from a store?  Was it for industrial use?

Hope I have not overwhelmed you with these questions.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
From a London Free Press article dated Feb 18, 1984:

The provincial government has offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Donna Jean Awcock's murderer.

Posters earing an artist's likeness of a suspect were published this wee over the name of OPP Commissioner R. A. Ferguson.

The 17-year-old London girl disappeared Oct. 13 after babysitting at a Cheyenne Avenue housing complex shere she lived.  Her partly clothed, strangled body was found next day about two kilometres away on a Thames River embankment near Fanshawe Dam.

The suspect is described on the poster as a man in his late 20s to early 30s, 5"6" to 5'9" tall, weighing 150 pounds with a thin, small build.  He has short wavy brown hair neatly combed left to right, dark bushy eyebrows, small lips, white teeth and dark hair on his knuckles.

He is known to frequent hotels with pool tables and was last seen wearing faded blue jeans and cowboy boots.

A vehicle involved in the case is an older model full, or medium sized car, white or light in color with light-colored vinyl seats and tail lights in the bumper.

Inspector Jack Donaldson, who led four two-man investigation teams in an intensive search for witnesses and clues, has returned to the criminal investigation bureau in Toronto, Const. Ed Czach of the London OPP detachment said.  The investigation is being continued by Const. Paul Edwards of the London detachment.

Clearly they had a suspect.  I wonder what happened?

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »
Additional info from LFP articles:

Extracts from article dated Oct 15/83:

When the woman who hired her returned home, they shared a pizza and at about 2:30 a.m. Awcock went to a nearby convenience store at 100 Cheyenne [now called Oakville] to get them both cigarettes. ~snip~

Insp. John Robinson said a clerk at the store told city police it appeared the girl had been crying.
That puzzles the woman for whom Awcock had baby-sat. .... she told the Free Press that the girl "was in great spirits when she left here.  She was perfect."
"The store is only a hop away (about 137 metres or 150 yards) and I can't figure what might have happened."

extract from LFP article Oct 18/83:

....girl's 88 Cheyenne Ave. home, but the search for the running shoes was continuing.

extract from article of unknown date [continuation of article clipping ...but separated from the first page]:

Boyd said she had an apartment key, the cigarettes and change from a $10 bill when she left the store.  Police are also still searching for her shoes -- a pair of size seven, light blue, suede runners bearing the brand name Bullit.