Author Topic: Val Degenhardt - Missing - Barrhead, AB - July19 2013  (Read 64730 times)

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile

Have faith

• View Profile
Re: Val Degenhardt - Missing - Barrhead, AB - July19 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »
http://www.comoxvalleyecho.com/article/20121113/COMOX0101/311139984/-1/COMOX/821-pot-plants-net-courtenay-man-nine-months-in-jail

Here is mention of using crock pot attachments for a small grow-op.  (MY capital letters).

"grow-op equipment:
So for my idea I thought I would use a long plastic tube that was just a little wider then a properly trimmed plant with a removable top that it had a light attached to it WITH CROCK POT LIKE ATTACHMENTS for it. I was hoping for this to be a hundred percent smell free because the people I live with are square to the cause, it's a square state, and I live a couple blocks from a cop shop. The thing I'm most unsure about is the air filtration system. I was hoping to have a carbon filer(even though I have no clue how they work) on the top part above the light. I don't imagine it would work all that well because the heat put out by a light though. What do you think? FYI I plan just straight up home grown style from the dirt, and I wouldn't imagine it would be hard to put an auto water system in something like this."

I am hoping that Val did not fall victim to a "grow-rip", which is explained in the following excerpt from the media report link above.

"In handing down the nine month jail term, provincial court Judge Roderick Sutton said that while he appreciated the defendant's decision to plead guilty, McCaffrey had brought an "inherent danger of violence" to a residential area by making it attractive to people who conduct "grow rips" - the theft of marijuana plants and equipment from established grow ops."

Edited: to add quote.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:01:01 PM by Have faith »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
Quote Have Faith: I am hoping that Val did not fall victim to a "grow-rip", which is explained in the following excerpt from the media report link above.

"In handing down the nine month jail term, provincial court Judge Roderick Sutton said that while he appreciated the defendant's decision to plead guilty, McCaffrey had brought an "inherent danger of violence" to a residential area by making it attractive to people who conduct "grow rips" - the theft of marijuana plants and equipment from established grow ops."unquote

Just may be part of the answer.  I see nothing wrong - with growing a little bit of pot for personal use. Not that I have - I have never used it, but in today's world it is not uncommon.

Barrhead raises alarm bells to me - Even if it is to see an "an old friend".

If he did bring his dogs with him, as his friend states, that means that he returned home with the dogs, which explains why the dogs were left in the yard.  And it may have  happened in his home (the disappearance, along with his vehicle) -

If  the friend is lying - then it happened in Barrhead.
If the friend was telling the truth, then it happened around his home.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:33:58 PM by jellybean »

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »
http://www.saobserver.net/news/216942821.html

Update: Search continues for missing Salmon Arm man

Valentine (Val) Degenhardt is from Salmon Arm but went missing while working in Alberta.
Photo contributed
Share this story

■Update: Search continues for missing Salmon Arm man
■Search continues for Salmon Arm man caught in Seymour River current
■Search continues for local man
■Fisherman missing, search called off
■Salmon Arm resident injured
■Salmon Arm raises support
By Jessica Klymchuk - Salmon Arm Observer
Published: July 25, 2013 9:00 AM
Updated: August 02, 2013 4:43 PM

RCMP in Alberta are asking for the public's assistance in locating a missing Salmon Arm man who was working in Alberta when he went missing. They are now also seeking information regarding a burned sport utility vehicle.

Valentine (Val) Degenhardt, 45, was last seen in Barrhead, Alta. around 5:30 p.m. on July 17.

He was last seen driving a 2000 dark grey Jeep Grand Cherokee bearing Alberta license plate BJS 0889. The vehicle had a SportRack which was positioned on the passenger's side roof.

The RCMP are now trying to locate a burned out SUV which was observed on a flat deck heavy duty truck on July 30 at approximately 7:30 a.m. The truck was travelling southbound on Highway 2 just north of St. Albert, Alta.

"We're still seeking public assistance in finding him," said Const. Yelena Avoine. "People might think the information they have is not important for us but everything at this point is really, really important."

The family is concerned for Degenhardt's safety, describing his disappearance as out of character. RCMP say nothing at this time indicates that foul play is involved.

Degenhardt and his wife Robyn Schmitke-Degenhardt live in Salmon Arm but own a house in Morinville because Val is often there for work.

An emotional Schmitke is overly grateful for the public's assistance with the search.

She last spoke to Val on the phone from Salmon Arm on July 17, but made her way to Alberta after loosing contact with him.

Volunteers have organized two search parties in the area in addition to volunteer pilots who have conducted air searches.

"We did it for quite a few days," family friend Laurie-Ann Sankey said of the organized searches. "The support from the community has been tremendous."

The Morinville RCMP also had a helicopter in the air on July 25 searching near Barrhead.

Sankey spoke from Whitecourt on Monday, which is also where Schmitke grew up. She notes that although the search is on in Alberta, support from Salmon Arm has not gone unnoticed.

"Everyone has come together to help the family," she said. "Even the support from the Salmon Arm community has been amazing."

The family is offering up to a $5,000 reward for information of Degenhardt's whereabouts.

Degenhardt is Caucasian, stands five-foot, eight inches, and weighs 198lbs. He has brown/greying hair, with a grey goatee and green eyes.

Anyone who may have spoken with Degenhardt before he went missing, or who may have information about his current whereabouts, or the whereabouts of the burned SUV, is asked to call the Morinville RCMP at 780-939-4520 or Crime stoppers at 1-800-222-8477. The Edmonton RCMP Major Crimes Unit is also assisting.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »
This burned out SUV along with other similarities, reminds me of the St. Albert couple that went missing (The McCanns). 
Could there be some indirect connection??
Vader although in jail, was known to frequent Barrhead.  What is the pull (attraction) to Barrhead?   

The burnt out SUV was seen on a flatbead heading south from St. Albert.
He lived in Morinville, while working. 
Morinville is only 21 minutes from St. Albert.!!
From Morinville to Barrhead - it is 1 hour 2 minutes.

Since Val told his wife that he was going to Barrhead to see an old acquaintance, why would he say that he will call her back in 30 minutes - and didn't?
Yet the old acquaintance said that he saw Val with his dogs - and then Val left.

I think that  Val never left his home in Morinville  Because of horrible and sudden events, Val was unable to call his wife back within the 30 minutes as promised.

The old acquaintance might have had ties to Val's disappearance and is lying regarding seeing him in Barrhead.

JB

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:54:47 PM by jellybean »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 03:37:31 AM »
In my opinion, Vader is not the only one that should have been arrested for the McCann's disappearance.....so, my thoughts did go to him, or should I say, his buddies, when I read this thread for Val Degenhardt. 

Val's acquaintance says he saw him and everything was fine, the dogs were with him....then I wonder (as his wife is saying too,) why didn't he call the wife in half an hour like he said?  She describes him as true to his word.  I am wondering too, if he said he'd call her in half an hour, did he mean he'd call her while driving to Barrhead?   It would take him longer than half an hour to drive from Morinville to Barrhead.

There has to be some kind of evidence other than acquaintance's word to prove if Val did make it there.   Seems to me something happened within the half hour after he talked to his wife...very soon after he hung up the phone.  I wonder how isolated his place in Morinville is or if it is right in town.  The dogs were at the house, running around the yard.
I see that one of the articles say he was last seen driving his Jeep, but is the witness positive it was him?   Just him? Did he have his dogs in the Jeep when he was last seen?

So, jellybean, I am also wondering, like you are.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:42:02 AM by jobo »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
Jobo, did you notice that Val said he was going to see an" old acquaintance" - not an old friend.

Why drive one hour out of your way to see an old acquaintance? And feel compelled to tell his wife that he would call her back in 30 minutes.

hmm? ???  Was Val unsure about this visit?  Perhaps he didn't feel safe in seeing this person, but for some reason felt that he had to?
His wife adores him, so does his family and friends.  He must be an all around great guy.

Along your line of thinking Jobo, why didn't he call his wife back, even if driving?
If he was just outside of Barrhead when he called his wife, he could have called her back within that half hour (The acquaintance said he saw him with his dogs) -and it would not have stopped Val from calling his wife - even at a later time when he left Barrhead to head home.  That call was never made.  Yet the dogs were found in Val's back yard.

He was last seen in Morinville at 4:30 pm according to Missing People Canada Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/MissingPeopleCanada/posts/397961030309338

JB

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:59:37 AM by jellybean »

missingValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
He is a wonderful man, and we as well are wondering all these questions, as for the "old friend"  - from what we have seen , he is a deeply disturbed man. :'(  Just hoping to find my uncle soon, he is deeply loved and missed by all of us.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:57:53 AM by debbiec »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
Missingvalentine;  This must be a nightmare.  I read one of the facebooks, and his wife is in anguish.  She reminds of Sharlene Bosma, when her husband went missing. 

Val was seen in Morinville 4:30/5:30pm (two different times given)  Did they see Val in the car?  Were there other people with him in the vehicle?

What time did his acquaintance in Barrhead see him?  Was it before the 4:30/5:30 pm sighting in Morinville?

The scene at Val's home, dogs in the yard, door left open and things missing - seems as though it was done by youth.
Grab and dash - type of thing?
Yet they took specific items, and I have a hunch that they have been in his home before.

Was this a separate thing that happened?  One that had nothing to do with his disappearance. Coincidental type of thing?  Opportunists who did not see his car in the driveway at that time, and got in and took those specific items.

I mean they took petty stuff.

His missing along with his vehicle is very serious business.

jb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
Police Issue Additional Request For Help Locating Valentine (Val) Degenhardt

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Mr. Degenhardt or the burned out SUV is asked to contact the Morinville RCMP at 780-939-4520 or call Crime stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

Background

On Friday July 19th, 2013 Valentine (Val) Leo DEGENHARDT was reported missing to the Morinville RCMP. Mr. DEGENHARDT was last known to be seen in Barrhead, Alberta on July 17th, 2013 in the early evening and has not been heard from or seen from since.

Mr. DEGENHARDT is a 45 year old Caucasian male with green eyes, and brown/ gray hair with a gray goatee. He is about 173 cm tall and is 88 kgs in weight.

The vehicle he was last known to be driving is a 2000 dark grey Jeep Cherokee bearing Alberta licence plate BJS 0889.

Cst. Yelena Avoine
Media Liaison
Morinville RCMP

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2013/07/31/police-issue-additional-request-for-help-locating-valentine-val-degenhardt-2/

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
Additional information released by police:

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2013/07/31/police-issue-additional-request-for-help-locating-valentine-val-degenhardt-2/

This won't allow copy and paste however it's in red letters closer to the bottom of the article ... A burned out SUV was seen on a flatbed truck on July 30th on Highway 2 north of St. Albert.
Not looking good for Val imo I'm afraid.

Thanks SAP. For some reason I was able to copy and paste this article. In the past I have found it is not possible to do that from the Alberta Police Report.

I'm attempting to find a picture of the vehicle that enlarges nicely. I will post it if I have any luck.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
So....If I am understanding this correctly.....the Police do NOT know who owns the truck that the burned out Jeep was on?  Witnesses just saw a truck with a burned out Jeep?  But no one knows where it was going and who owned the truck?

Amazingly these people acted at 7:30 a.m. and moved the Jeep when no one is really on guard.  That too, reminds me of Vader (and company)....they burned the McCanns' Motorhome in the morning. 
No one is really paying attention in the morning.

I am not so sure youths would have access to the type of truck seen with the burned out Jeep and be able to drive it....but if they did then someone should be speaking up and saying the youth borrowed their truck.

missingValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
thank you <3 the "acquaintance" is the last known person to have seen my uncle.. this is hard to grasp and confusing for us all as to why anyone would want to hurt him, he was a kind and gentle man. :'( so many questions we wish we could answer or find out.I hope someone who knows something comes forward, we just want him home. We are also offering a reward to anyone with information,for them to just call TIPS.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:23:43 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »
If  someone or a few people broke into his home and stole the items mentioned, why did they not also take his electronics?  There would be more money in that - then 3 fans, etc.(big money jar excluded)

How odd!!
It doesn't make much sense - to me. 
But then when a person disappears - it never makes sense at first does it?
It is up to the RCMP to make sense of it all - that's their job and they have the expertise.

I sincerely hope this is resolved shortly for his family's sake.
And that he is found safe.

No doubt - sadly- his loved ones  have many questions, are thinking up various possibilities and scenarios over and over again trying to make sense out of it all.
We ordinary citizens can't make any sense out of it either.

And how can anyone in Morinville feel safe at this time?? :(

jb
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:47:18 PM by jellybean »