Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Tatiana Anikejew- Toronto, ON - Murdered - 1988  (Read 4854 times)

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Tatiana Anikejew- Toronto, ON - Murdered - 1988
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »
The 22 yr old Seneca student was found nude and stabbed to death in her Eglington/Mt. Pleasant apartment by her parents on October 1, 1988. She had lived alone in her aprtment for two years prior to death. It was speculated that she may have known her killer and that she invited them in to her apartment or that she met her killer in a bar and brought them home with her.

I have only found two articles on her murder just after it occured. Nothing since :(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:39:42 AM by Angela Ellis »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Tatiana Anikejew- Toronto, ON - Murdered - 1984
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »
I believe this happened in 1988,not 1984,tatiana anikejew

This is a message that was received regarding this case. I have so far been unable to find anything to substantiate that this happened in 1988.

If anyone can find anything, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

scorpio22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
It was DEFINITELY '88 b/c I know the family.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »
This murder was reported in the Toronto Star 4 October 1988, page A06.  Only 1 article found.  Sad.

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Re: Tatiana Anikejew- Toronto, ON - Murdered - 1988
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:08 AM »
I fixed the date.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:21:14 AM »

Thanks Angela.  :)

wantedwanted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:50:57 PM »
I found this mention of Anikejew from a story in the Toronto Star about sexually-motivated slayings in Toronto, dated Aug 31, 1990.  pg. B.1:

The nude, bludgeoned body of Tatiana (Tanya) Anikejew, 22, was found by her parents on Saturday, Oct. 1, 1988, in her three-storey brick walk-up apartment on Broadway Ave. The Seneca College creative advertising-broadcasting student had been dead for two or three days before her parents discovered her.

Neighbors heard screams on Sept. 28 and even came out of their apartments but all assumed someone else had called police about the disturbance. No one had, and the sex killing remains a mystery.

"It's a real shame someone didn't call police when they heard her screams," said Detective Sergeant Neil Tweedy of the homicide squad. "Because we probably would have found her killer."

---
Some inconsistencies in these articles - Same paper, October 3, 1988, A6:
A young college student was found stabbed to death in her north Toronto apartment over the weekend.

Tatiana Anikejew, 22, was nude and had several stab wounds in the chest when her parents found her body Saturday morning, Metro police said.

There were signs of violence in Anikejew's apartment but Metro police have not established a motive in her killing.

An autopsy was to be held to determine whether she was sexually assaulted.

The Seneca College graphic arts student lived alone in a three- storey brick walkup in the Eglinton Ave.-Mt. Pleasant Rd. area.

Police believe she had been dead for two or three days when her parents found her at 11.40 a.m. Saturday.

39th victim

Anikejew is Metro's 39th homicide victim this year.

Neighbors of the slain woman described her as a loner who occasionally had a few girlfriends over on a Friday or Saturday night.

"No one really knew her too well in the building," said Robert Wiggins, who lived across the hall from Anikejew. She often stopped to pet his German shepherd dog, he said.

The dog seemed to sense something was wrong in her apartment last Tuesday, Wiggins said, because it kept sniffing around the door. But no one he knew had heard anything unusual in her apartment, he said.

Anikejew's death has renewed concerns in the neighborhood about the presence of a halfway house for federal ex-convicts on Montgomery Ave., he said.

Anikejew's Broadway Ave. apartment building was about two blocks from the halfway house from which an ex-convict escaped and murdered another young woman earlier this year.

A coroner's inquest into the circumstances surrounding the slaying of Tema Conter was to begin today.

Life sentence

Conter, a 25-year-old fashion store manager, was stabbed to death in her Balliol St. apartment just a few blocks south of Montgomery House. Her murderer, Melvin Glenn Stanton, was sentenced to life in prison.

Tenants in the Broadway Ave. apartment are scared, said superintendent Yvonne Briden.

"They know it (the halfway house) is there and I think people are going to be nervous about having it around when something like this happens. Naturally they're worried about their own protection," she said.

But Briden doesn't believe ex-convicts living at the halfway house should be singled out as the only suspects in the slaying.

She said the door to Anikejew's apartment wasn't forced and the entrance to the apartment is always locked.

"We have locks, peepholes on the door. I think she let whoever killed her in."

---
Another article, dated Oct. 4, 1988:

A woman found stabbed to death in her north Toronto apartment may have known her killer, police say.

Detectives probing the slaying of Tatiana Anikejew could find no signs that the door to her apartment had been forced, leading them to conclude the attacker had somehow gained her confidence.

"There is a possibility that she knew her killer or the killer may have used a ruse to gain entry into her home," said Staff Sergeant Neale Tweedy.

"It is known that she had a number of male friends," Tweedy said. Police are investigating the possibility that she may have brought her attacker home from a bar, he said, but have so far drawn no conclusions.

Heard screams

The body of Anikejew, 22, was discovered Saturday by her parents. She was nude and had several stab wounds in the chest when found in her bachelorette suite, which police said showed signs of a struggle. The murder weapon has not yet been found.

Several neighbors reported hearing screams about 1 a.m. last Wednesday, police said, and left their apartments to check out the commotion. But they assumed someone else had called police and returned to their homes.

That's when police believe Anikejew was slain.

Tests are being conducted at the Centre of Forensic Sciences to determine whether Anikejew was sexually assaulted, but police don't expect to have the results until later this week.

"The fact that she was found nude would indicate she probably was sexually assaulted," Tweedy said.

Police have had some success in retracing the final hours in the life of the Seneca College student. But they have yet to come up with a major lead or suspect.

"We have talked to some people who knew of her whereabouts in the hours before her death, but it hasn't added up to anything significant at this point," Tweedy said.

Members of the police identification bureau scoured the third- floor suite for clues yesterday, dusting doorways and glass for fingerprints. The apartment appeared dishevelled and a chesterfield bed was still unfolded.

Samples were taken from a trail of blood spots found on a stairwell, leading from the third floor to a side exit.

Tenants said the blood had been there since the murder is thought to have taken place. John Stump, who lives one floor below Anikejew, said he noticed it when he took his dog Snuffy out for a walk late Tuesday night.

College student

"It was all down one side of the stairs, and at the time I thought somebody must have spilled strawberry jam," Stump said.

A foul smell began to permeate the building by Friday. Several complained to superintendent Yvonne Briden, who checked around the building, but couldn't find the cause.

Briden said Anikejew had lived in the 52-unit building for about two years. She described her as a "quiet, pleasant girl with a nice smile."

Flags were flying at half-staff at Seneca College yesterday, where Anikejew was a first semester student in the creative advertising-broadcasting course at the Finch Ave. campus.

dduguay12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
I worked with Tania back in 1988 and often wondered if her murder had been solved. With new DNA technology, and all the blood, etc. left at the scene, I'm wondering if forensic checks these sites and update accordingly?

Nancy Doran

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
Why can't this case not be solved???   Tatiana's mother worked at the same company as I did in 1988.  I remember hearing about this crime and many of my co-workers attended Tatiana's funeral.  As I remember...a boyfriend of Tatiana's was a suspect, however, Toronto Police did not have enough solid evidence to convict him.  What is really upsetting about this crime, is that many neighbours heard screems of someone needing help, but those people didn't want to be involved, and nothing was done.  I believe this crime happend mid-week, but it wasn't until her parents didn't hear from her for two or three days...that they went to her apartment, only to find her buretly murdered...stabbed many times.  Maybe back then DNA evidence wasn't available, but this case needs to be re-opened and solved.  As I remember...Tatiana's Father died suddendly on or about Christmas Eve about a year later from a heart attack...he never got over the death of his Daughter.  Something needs to be done, and this cold case needs to be solved!  The Police know who they need to re-vist to solve this case...and I have faith that the Toronto Police can solve this crime if they only re-open the case.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:38 AM »
A sad story like the famous Kitty Genovese "bystander effect" case in NYC where people hear screams but do nothing. We need to watch out for our neighbours.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here