Author Topic: Barrie Newspaper 1960 Lookup?  (Read 2740 times)

Scarletrose

• View Profile
Barrie Newspaper 1960 Lookup?
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
I searched the Ontario Archives and found the Barrie Examiner is unavailable for library interloan.

The Local History collection of the Barrie Public Library and the research collection of the Simcoe County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society are housed in the Robert Peacock Room of the Barrie Public Library.

I would have to drive to Barrie to view this paper - which I cannot do at this time.

I was wondering if there was anyone in the Barrie area that would be willing to look up a news article for me? All I can find in the Toronto paper is a 10 line blurb, even though they supposedly dragged the bay for a week, and his body was never found.

The date is July 10, 1960 or the week of - the story would be about the drowning death of Philip Douglas (or Doug) Bickford, who supposedly fell overboard in Kempenfelt Bay on that date. Any info you could find, I would be so very grateful!

Simcoesherlock

• View Profile
Re: Barrie Newspaper 1960 Lookup?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »
I might be able to do that for you just wait a bit it might take some time for me to find it

Scarletrose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »
Wonderful! I am happy to wait.

Scarletrose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
Just checking in to say I am still hopeful if someone would look this up for me?

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
Just a thought, can you try calling the library maybe you will get lucky and an employee will check to see if there are any articles for you? Then some one could go get copies?

Logical

Scarletrose

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
Yes, I did contact the library by email and the Local History and Genealogy Librarian replied, "I searched Ontario Archives and found the Barrie Examiner is unavailable for interloan. The Barrie Public Library houses the Barrie Examiner from1864 to present. The Local History collection of the Barrie Public Library and the research collection of the Simcoe County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society are housed in the Robert Peacock Room of the Barrie Public Library. So you would have to drive to Barrie to view the 1960 July 10 - 17 dates of this paper."