Author Topic: Tim Bosma - 32 - Missing - May 06, 2013 - Hamilton, ON - Murdered  (Read 174510 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:27:37 PM by debbiec »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Bosma - 32 - Missing - May 06, 2013 - Hamilton, ON - Murdered
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »
Tim Bosma trial: What the jury wasn't allowed to hear
Jury deliberating on fate of Dellen Millard, Mark Smich after 4-month murder trial in Hamilton
An affinity for guns, and more than 1Millard, Smich sold and used drugsRobert Burns hates his nephew
Defence pushed for a mistrial, twice

On two separate occasions, the defence for the accused did apply for a mistrial, which would have started the gruelling trial process all over again.

The first came three weeks in, and was a joint application between lawyers representing Millard and Smich. The details of the application are under an extended publication ban, and cannot be reported.

In the end, Goodman denied it.

A second mistrial application came on April 11, when Smich's legal team alleged that lawyer Ravin Pillay's cross-examination of witness Brendan Daly impugned their client's ability to get a fair trial. They based that application on what Daly told the jury about Smich's anger issues, and his sometimes violent rap lyrics.

Again, the application was thrown out.

Bad behaviour from witnesses
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/tim-bosma-trial-what-the-jury-didnt-hear-1.3631268

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
Not sure how much of an influence this would have had on me, were I on that jury.  I decided very early on in the trial that this one was pretty much a "no-brainer".

Still I don't envy the jury its task.  It's always a thankless job, whatever the outcome.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 14, 2016, 02:17:47 PM »
debbiec, basically it sounds like the trial was being run very efficiently to me. In most of those cases with a jury, there are certain things they cannot hear. Like they always say, "it will inflame the jury", like you and I and most people, we want them to know the total story. But sometimes it is in the favor of the prosecution also that the evidence is not put in. It could be a benefit that all the drug information was not in evidence, because then they cannot use the excuse that they were out of their minds and high on drugs when all of this happened. So we can only wait and see. But I feel sure the jury is going to get this one right, they got those guys and right where they want them. I don't think there will be a long time before the jury comes back with a guilty verdict. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »
For what it's worth I don't figure the verdict will be effected by those things listed that the jury did not get to hear. I'd be very surprised if either of these guys is found not guilty.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 17, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »
The jury has reached a verdict.  It is scheduled to be given at 3pm.

Here is the media blog with live updates.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/tim-bosma-trial-verdict-1.3634213

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 17, 2016, 02:02:37 PM »
Great news both Millard and Smitch found "Guilty" of First Degree Murder, sentence later. This is great news and I know everyone is pleased with this verdict. :) :) :) :) :) :)

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 17, 2016, 02:07:19 PM »

Reaction from people in court - applause for the Crown prosecutors/jb

Cheers and applause erupted outside a Hamilton courtroom Friday after Dellen Millard and Mark Smich were both found guilty of first-degree murder in the slaying of Hamilton's Tim Bosma.

After deliberating since Monday, an Ontario Superior Court jury in Hamilton found the pair guilty, with the verdicts being read out by the judge shortly after 3 p.m. ET Friday.

Members of the Bosma family gasped and began crying as the decision on Millard's fate was read out, and followed with more gasps and laughter when Smich's guilt was announced.

Tears streamed down the face of Bosma's widow, Sharlene, as she watched the two men who killed her husband being led out of the courtroom. Their sentencing is to commence at 4:15 p.m. ET.

More cheers for Crown Craig Fraser as he left the courtroom.
TwitterFacebookLinkedIn
Adam Carter

The cheering is coming from people lined up outside the courtroom.

Millard did not smile after he was found guilty of murder. Smich just stared at the floor.

The cheers continued as the Crown attorneys left the courtroom. Spectators lined up outside the courtroom attempting to get a seat for the sentencing.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 17, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
Wonderful! First degree murder conviction. Now it's time to go after Madeline as well.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 17, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »

snippets taken from above article.

From Widow -
"For over three years, we have waited for justice for Tim," she said. "For three years we have been in and out of this courthouse, forced to look at, and breathe in the same space as the utter depths of depravity in our society.

"We have had to endure being near the two men that walked down my driveway on May 6, 2013, and took away the bright light in our lives that was Tim."

Both men have been sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years, or at least until 2038. Millard and Smich are each facing a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Toronto woman Laura Babcock, while Millard has also been charged with first-degree murder in the death of his own father.

If convicted of the other two crimes, Millard would meet the criteria for being considered a serial killer.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 18, 2016, 05:18:55 AM »
Thanks for posting this article, jellybean
I've been wondering about Laura and And the father...I'm glad to see that there is charges.

Also glad to see life without parole for these two psychos.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 18, 2016, 06:35:20 AM »
Yes, thank goodness, it was heart wrenching to listen to Tims wife speak yesterday, maybe now the family can start healing

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 04, 2016, 08:52:59 PM »

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2016/07/04/dellen-millard-to-appeal-murder-conviction-in-tim-bosmas-death.html

Millard is already appealing his conviction, and Smitch's appeal will come next.  Although not unexpected, it prolongs the healing of Tim's family, which is so unfair. I just hope that the appeal is denied as quickly as possible for their sake. 

It should be laughable to see what grounds Millard has for even filing an appeal.  Pathetic.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »
Smitch has now appealed, and there is some information on Millard's basis of appeal.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2812380/tim-bosmas-convicted-killers-file-notice-of-appeal-with-ontarios-top-court/