Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Tim Bosma - 32 - Missing - May 06, 2013 - Hamilton, ON - Murdered  (Read 40480 times)

justice

• View Profile
Tim Bosma has been missing since May 06.  Two men came to test drive his Dodge Ram truck that Tim had advertised on kijiji for sale.  Tim went with the two men and has not been seen since.  See articles CTV Kitchener
Published Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:09AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:16AM EDT

Hamilton Police are asking for the public’s assistance in locating a missing 32-year-old man.  An Ancaster area man has been missing since Monday, May 6.

Tim Bosma was reported missing by his family Monday after he failed to return home.

Two men went to Mr. Bosma’s residence to view a black Dodge Ram pickup truck he was selling.  When asked if they could take the truck for a test drive, Tim accompanied them.

Neither he or the truck returned.

Timothy Bosma was last seen wearing blue jeans, work boots and a long sleeve shirt.

The Truck is described as a Dodge Ram 3500 pickup with license plate number 726 7ZW.

A facebook page dedicated to the search for Tim can be found here.

Read more: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/police-looking-for-missing-ancaster-area-man-1.1272234#ixzz2SoVdJLVQ

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: Tim Bosma - 32 - Missing - May 06, 2013 - Hamilton, ON - Murdered
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:27:44 AM »
This is pretty scarey and so many people are using Kijjijji and craigslist and many on line sites and meeting people.  I am praying this man is safe some where but sure doesnt look that way with homicide getting involved.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »
This certainly sounds like a crime took place here. Very dangerous these days to go on any of these sites to sell anything. Always have a person with you or do not allow them to drive the vehicle. The owner should be driving the vehicle and the person should not be allowed to drive it. He surely should not have left home with two men he did not know, very dangerous. He should have had a brother or sister there and had them hold an item and have their names and ID before he ever left the house. Never go with two people, make one wait and just go with the person buying the truck. It sure doesn't sound good for Tim's safe return. :( :( :( :( :(

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »
really good advice Cape;  we have reached the time in this world when it is definitely not safe to go with a stranger or even worse, strangers, without having someone else (a capable person) with you.... and leaving one of the strangers personal ID or something just as connected to them, with other people - while "making known" to the other person/people/witnesses the purpose of the situation.

joojoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »
Here are two links for this thread:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2556873-missing-ancaster-man-told-his-wife-he-would-be-right-back/
http://new.livestream.com/joeycoleman-ca/events/2088758/videos/18380470

This is around my area and the community has posters all over hoping that the individuals will release him and then take ownership for what they have done.
Very disturbing to see that some members of society have regressed to this. imo

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
They'd arranged to meet him at his rural Ancaster home after he'd posted a For Sale ad for the truck on Kijiji and Auto Trader.

Kijiji would have the correspondence between the two in both parties "mailboxes".  I hope the wife went right away and printed them out.  At least it might provide a viable link between the Kijiji server and the perps.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »
Heartbreaking , totally heartbreaking.  Why the hell if they wanted the truck so bad didnt they just go to his address when they were in bed and steal it or rather than take Tim with the truck.  That I will never understand.  Praying that Tim is safe some where and just unable to get loose to come home

soccermom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
I am worried and FRUSTRATED:
"Hamilton police said Thursday they now have several leads that might help them find Bosma, according to Staff Sergeant Matt Kavanagh .... [snip] Police did not provide sketches of the men along with the physical descriptions released Wednesday, but Kavanagh said they may do so if the current leads don't pan out.

'Once we've exhausted those, we might do a sketch, but there's some pretty good leads coming through.' "
http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/05/07/hamilton-missing-man.html

WHY would LE refuse to release the sketches?? This man has a wife and daughter in agony and perhaps the public can help. He has now been missing several days. I don't know what theories or leads they are working from, but there are few if any scenarios I can imagine that would make it ok to hold back this info -- because nothing is proved yet, anyway, for why Tim  is missing. What is wrong with LE that they don't release this info? LE, please give the public an opportunity to help, whatever this scenario may be!

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
I think the Le are leary of posting a sketch as the wife only saw them for a few seonds , so a sketch could be wrong and lead the investigation in other directions that are a waste of time rather than a help?  I think they are better to got through the responses to the add and try to pinpoint the ip address of the people they may be able to narrow it down that way , even if it is a library it would give them a base to work from I think

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
http://www.680news.com/2013/05/08/missing-hamilton-mans-wife-makes-plea-for-his-return/

680News staff May 8, 2013 05:19:50 PM

Unusual circumstances surround the disappearance of a Hamilton man and now the homicide unit of Hamilton police is getting involved.

Police said Tim Bosma was last seen on Monday, leaving his Ancaster home with two men who were test-driving his truck he was selling on Kijiji and Auto Trader.

His wife said Bosma told her the two men were from the Toronto area.

Sharlene Bosma watched her husband leave his home with those two men around 9:20 p.m.

She made a very emotional plea for his safe return.

“It was just a truck. It is just a truck. You don’t need him. But I do. And our daughter needs her daddy back,” she said.

Police are searching for two suspects.

The first is in his mid-20s, white, 6’1-6’2, 170-180 lbs, light to medium short brown hair, unshaven. He was wearing blue jeans, long sleeve orange shirt and running shoes.

The second man is also white, in his early to mid 20s, 5’9-5’10″, small to medium build, dark hair. He was wearing a red hooded sweater and had a hood over his head.

They were last seen in Bosma’s truck, a black 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 pickup with the Ontario licence plate 726 7ZW.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It would be good if the Police displayed the description of the truck and licence number on the signs on some of the highways around.  I get the feeling these two guys took off out west....the summer is coming, lots of (young) Ontarians want to go west.

This whole storey is scary, I hope Tim is found safe, but time is ticking.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:23:45 PM by jobo »

soccermom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »
I think the Le are leary of posting a sketch as the wife only saw them for a few seonds , so a sketch could be wrong and lead the investigation in other directions that are a waste of time rather than a help?  I think they are better to got through the responses to the add and try to pinpoint the ip address of the people they may be able to narrow it down that way , even if it is a library it would give them a base to work from I think

Eyes, I have thought of this as a possible explanation, but IMO there doesn't need to be mutual exclusivity on this; LE can continue to search other leads as well as follow any that come in through a sketch. I know LE is under-resourced but it is precisely for situations like this that LE is expected to use every available tactic to locate a MP. The longer the delay the less possibility for noticing, remembering, etc.

One possible reason I might have sympathy for the decision is if LE is concerned that release of sketches might panic the persons of interest into harming Tim, presuming he is with them now. I think I recall  other cases where that has happened (?). I would support the reticence with such a rationale. But as time stretches I'm increasingly frantic about Tim's safety, and sure we need to use ALL resources to try bring  him home to his desperate family. 

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
Prayers, and prayers. To those that are interested in the truck. Or, some transportation for a trip. You are at a cross roads. You have taken a man, and property. The sentence for property is a lot less than for a person. So, it is best to let a man go. Surely the public will be looking for you, either way. Reduce your chances of a long, long lock up. Return the man alive. It makes all the sense in the world.

Fridgiebear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »
I'll be keeping my eye on any black pick up truck with that matching Ontario plate, even though I am in NB.

If they just wanted a truck, then they should have just broke into one and left this man and his family alone.  :'( Who knew Kijiji could be so dangerous.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:14:09 AM »
Obviously they planned to do this when they went three, as the other vehicle dropped them off.  They were comming from out of town to look at a truck.  How had they planned to get back to toronto if they didnt buy the truck so obviously this was the intention all long I believe

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »
Tim Bosma is pictured below. Also pictured is the truck he was attempting to sell.

Click to enlarge pictures

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here