Author Topic: Howard Newell - Age 6 - January 22, 1955 / Yarmouth  (Read 6205 times)

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
Howard Newell - Age 6 - January 22, 1955 / Yarmouth
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »
Howard Newell
Missing since January 22, 1955 from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Circumstances of Disappearance
On January 22, 1955, Howard Newell vanished while walking home from a woodlot where members of his family were cutting firewood.
In the days and weeks that followed, the largest search in Yarmouth County history unfolded in the woods and marsh areas of Little River Harbour. More than 1,000 searchers scoured the area searching for the little boy, but there was never any trace of him.
The police concluded that the boy had likely drowned and his body had been washed out to sea.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Yarmouth Rural RCMP
902--742-9106
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:02:15 AM by Besani »

Besani

• View Profile
Re: Howard Newell |6| Yarmouth
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »

Besani

• View Profile

YarmouthAnon

• View Profile
Re: Howard Newell - Age 6 - January 22, 1955 / Yarmouth
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »
For many years I've heard family members mention about a story involving my late Grandfather, from Yarmouth, NS.
I can't seem to be able to locate his obituary right at the moment so I can't say for sure how old he was at the time of Howards' death. I believe late teens or early twenties, but I could be mistaken.
But the story is based among the lines of my grandfather and a couple of friends out for a drive, when they struck and killed a little boy.
Being worried, they later burned a car and the little boy in a fire, and they were never found guilty of it.
Out of curiosity for more details about what happened and what the name of that little boy was, I came to Unsolved Canada and typed in Yarmouth. It wasn't hard to find the story, and to learn the little boys' name. Howard. I had no idea when I clicked this story that it would for sure be the one I was looking for but after reading about the rumors that people had heard, the hairs on my arms stood up because it was so much alike to the story that I've always heard. My family doesn't tend to talk about it very much but I'm quite sure they've always said that my Grandfather--later on in life, did say he was present when the boy died.

justsayin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »
What a heart wrenching story! 

I wonder what would possess those young men to make a decision like that (it they, in fact, did) instead of owning up to the accident.

How sad that family never got the real closure that comes with finding the remains. 

What a horrible cancerous burden it must have been for those young men, if they carried that secret all those years.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
Wow, YarmouthAnon....thanks for joining.   So your family rumour is the same as the rumour back in the day.   Do you know if your grandfather and/or his buddies were interviewed?  I see in 1988 the RCMP supposedly interviewed people on the rumour character list.
Perhaps there could be Howard's remains found in Wedgeport still?

Besani

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
I hope someone gives the location to his remains. It's been too long, everyone involved in his death are old or probably passed on themselves but this little boy deserves to come home. Do the right thing and tell them where he is already. Obviously the rumor is true because Howard never showed up yet...

YarmouthAnon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
I have no way of knowing if he was one of the men interviewed, since it was "rumor" I don't believe the names of those they interviewed were written out anywhere.
If there was somehow any articles about who they interviewed and what their findings were then I'd know for sure if he was any of the men named.
It's been so long too. If they were unable to find anything back in 1955 in terms of evidence then they probably took precautions to get rid of any possible evidence that was there.
Sadly, I doubt this will ever be a solved case for the family.
 :(

December

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
 YarmouthAnon, There is a possibility the RCMP records for the Newell case are still on file in Ottawa .After 30 years they will release information, although they have the right to delete certain parts .I  have been working on a murder that occurred in 1955, in Nova Scotia as well .They provided me with a disc that i had printed off , and i had over 100 pages .It provided me with some very important clues ,enough to sew up the case .It took some time to acquire the information , but it was well worth it .The names you seek may be in that info .December