Author Topic: 1992 4 missing men in Pitt lake bc  (Read 19041 times)

Yosmitesam

• View Profile
1992 4 missing men in Pitt lake bc
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
 :'( I'm looking to start up the cold case investigation of missing men, Jeffery Bertrand, Corey Simmons, Tyler Simmons, Mike Wong.
They were on a camping trip early may 1992 returned from the head of the lake to get supplies in Pitt polder and were never seen again. No bodies found no personal items just the boat capsized and nothing else.
Anyone have info? Our family is still searching and will not give up!!

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: 1992 4 missing men in Pitt lake bc
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »
I know what a nightmare this is for your family and am so sorrry.  Indeed unusual that nothing at all was found for sure, surely in all this time something would have surfaced if they had drowned, as I imagine the LE assume.  Has the banks of the river been checked over the years , do you know? Even clothing could give a clue surely.

SAP

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »
Were all these men on a fishing trip or were they doing eco studies in the area, do you know? I did some reading on this area around Pitt Lake, and while there is a lot of beauty, there also is much danger. Some areas could only be accessed by boat and going inland was a fair walk. It seems storms could create quite a lot of havoc for boaters and the area around Pitt Polder was drained marshland which could be quite dry when there was not enough rain and then dangerous when rains came as one could sink fast in the peat. If the men were familiar with the area, they would have known where extra caution was needed. It also has been reported there are a lot of deadheads (which I presume are dead logs/trees) just below the surface of the waters, adding to dangers of capsizing.

Were the men good swimmers? Is there possibly more info you have, Yosemitesam? If their boat overturned and they drowned, have the rivers banks been searched back then. I believe I read that Pitt flows to Fraser river and the ocean but somewhere there is also a Pitt river ... at the other end possibly?
It seems unusual that every bit of evidence of life of all 4 men is non existent. There is reporting of a lost gold mine in that particular area and there has been a mention of people actually encountering something similar to "Bigfoot" in the area. 

Yosmitesam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
They were up on a camping trip early May 1992 dresses for cold nights. All three were familiar with the area as one man wasn't.
They were heard trying to start their outboard motor and couldn't get it started. There was a "scout pack" camping close by in Pitt Polder. Made it to the truck and never seen again.. Troubles me as to why nothing was found and in years later, nothing washing up. I realize it is a large "tidal" lake.. And there have been many missing people on this lake. @ the head of the lake to the mouth of Pitt River is a dead head area. I would like to know if someone will help me try and solve this mystery.. We want our family member and his friends found or @ least some closure for the 3 families involved...
Anyone!! Its been way to long without a trace.  :'(

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
They were heard trying to start their outboard motor and couldn't get it started. There was a "scout pack" camping close by in Pitt Polder. Made it to the truck and never seen again

This statement is confusing to me. Do you mean the four men made it to their truck, and if so how is that known? They didn't disappear from their boat? Was the truck ever found?

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:12 AM »
So they were fishing and went back to the truck or camp for supplies but went missing...their boat was found upside down in the water? Any blood or clothing found anywhere?
How would 4 men go missing?

Yosmitesam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »
It was confirmed they made it to the truck for supplies and when they went to head back out, the motor wouldn't start! The scout leader came out and said, your making to much noise and then went back in and that was the last ever seen or heard of them.. Its a mystery someone knows something!!! Please help.  :'(

Yosmitesam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
The truck was found the next morning, where it was parked the day before. Nothing was found of their personal affects.. Just the boat, no notor, cooler or anything. Just vanished!

SAP

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »
I wish I could help however I am not near the area at all. If I were, I would check the library in the nearest town/city as they usually have microfilmed newspaper archives and I would contact the local police and ask for updates in the missing case. There is nothing on the Net with the names of these men.

Did the scout leader object to the noise of the motor of the boat, or what kind of noise were they objecting to? Was it during middle of the night hours?

Were the police and SAR involved at the time? What indications did they give family members of the missing men? Any more detail you may have could be helpful as there are a number of people here from BC and it could twig a memory for someone.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:52:16 AM by SAP »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
4 men in one boat loaded with supplies can be a disaster. by yanking on the rope to start the motor, the motor could easily become unscrewed at the back, and fall into the water. the cooler with ice and supplies could also sink - especially if it is a coleman, a metal one. if the men didn't have life jackets, and alot of men don't bring them, or don't wear them, that would also add to the disaster. fishing rods would also sink, handles would sink downwards, and eventually the remaining part of the rods would be tugged down with it. anything left floating would be swept away in a current. i am assuming that they got the boat going long enough to get further away from the shoreline and the motor conked out again.
that being said, good points sap re- investigated steps to take.sure is worth following up on.

jb

SAP

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »
Great work R.  :)
I had seen that site too but I thought people were just goofing around, going by some of the answers on there and missed that post. :)
So it appears they drowned. Beautiful area but so dangerous sounding. If the lake is tidal, then remains would drift out faster towards the rivers, not?

Yosmitesam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
Thank you for all the searching so far all 4 men were from the queensboro area as well as richmond border. They dragged the lake and took the search to the hills surrounding the lake. They are presumed drown. Then years later all these feet started washing up around our B.C. coasts.... none were a match.I have been in contact with the ridge meadows rcmp and the lead investigator has long since retired. :'(

Yosmitesam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »
 :o There are no searches available for these men, I have searched for years and years!! no names come up... nothing! Like I said "they just vanished" I will not give up. As soon as the library gets all the info I need< I will post it here for all to view....  :'(

paulG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »
I was with Cory,Tyler Jeff and Mike during the day and night they went missing.They had there tents set up at Raven on the beach and came across the lake to the cabin we( Their best friends)were staying at.The 4 of them were having drinks with us til it was dark in the night and decided they had to go back to there camp to make sure everything was ok.In the morning we cruised by there camp and found the tents and there belongings but didn't see the boat and we had a very bad feeling something went wrong as it was very rough when they left during the night.They did not go to the truck during the day or night, I think you might be miss informed.Please contact me for the truth of this as I still talk with Cory and Tyler's dad.

Yosmitesam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 02:13:36 PM »
Thanks Paul, I am so glad you had called me. It has been way too long since we spoke.(21+ years)
 :'( I'm a little more at ease with what you have told me. The lake was rough that night and it was very late. I was clinging on to hope that someone would know something.
I had a bit of untrue information regarding that night.
The guys never made it to their campsite afterall and as far as a scout leader, well that has yet to be verified.
I will continue on my search for anything that would lead to the findings of these guys.
Just remember, I will not give up the search and hope that someone will bring our loved ones home.
Hope to speak more with you and get reacquainted  as we did all those years ago.
Thank you again
Sandy.