Author Topic: Elisa Lam - 21 - Vancouver woman missing in Los Angeles - January 31, 2013 - Found Deceased  (Read 38216 times)

cana_nomad

• View Profile
Yeah, I am going to second Leon on this- it appears she was paranoid, not necessarily depressed per se.  Either way, I don't think people get how seriously far gone you have to be in order to go through with ending your life.  The human will to live is so strong that you need to have stopped thinking logically anymore. 

leonagleant

• View Profile
Bipolar disorder can certainly lead to risk-taking and out of character behavior. At least we know what her condition was even if we do not know for sure how this happened. A tragic loss of life and potential.

jobo

• View Profile
Thanks for the update, debbiec.  May Elisa RIP.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Thanks jobo, but it was eyes (reply #109) who first provided a link to another news story about Elisa. :)

jobo

• View Profile
Oh, thanks eyeswideopen....I didn't open the link you posted as my computer has been running slow, and some days I just don't have the patience to wait.

CherryKitty

• Is it really worth it?
    • View Profile
Very sad. RIP, Elisa. I'm happy that the family now has closure on the topic, although it doesn't take away the pain.

looking

• View Profile
Accidental?  How did she get through an alarmed door without anyone noticing?  She just climbed into an 8 ft. water tank and drowned?  I know bipolar people and they function quite well without doing bizarre behaviour.  What's with the elevator video?  She was afraid of someone.  Maybe she wasn't bipolar, she was schizophrenic.  If she wanted to kill herself, she would have jumped from the building roof.  I think she was hiding from someone in that elevator.  I hope the investigators have proof this was an accident.

discus

• View Profile
I think bipolar depression when left untreated can cause paranoia.    Maybe they were checking for prescription medication during the toxicology tests.  I wonder if Elisa felt she was being pursued by someone and jumped into the water tank to hide. 

jobo

• View Profile
That would make more sense...that Elisa was paranoid and tried to hide in the water tank, but once she closed the lid, probably couldn't open it again.
In my opinion,  She was looking/hiding from someone/something while she was on the elevator.  The way she pressed all kinds of buttons and then peeking outside of the open door, made it look like she was afraid.  I really never thought someone was after her for real, I think it was her mind, not well.
The issue about the roof door was supposedly always locked/alarmed....well they can say that all they want, I don't believe them....someone probably slacked off on their job.